U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,261,318 times

Advertisements

Thank you JerZ for your defense.

Please keep in mind that I am not a baptised member of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Your question was directed toward a JW. I would not want to misrepresent their beliefs with a mis-speak on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 04:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,122,831 times
It's a simple question.

Watch this.

Renriq02 are you allowed to worship Jesus in your religion?

renriq02: yes we are.

She/he knows the answer to the question but doesn't want to answer it. I'm asking what the JW believe in.

Isn't this the
Question for Jehovah Witnesses thread?

I would think people could answer questions without trying to act like a politician.

Yes it's obvious I'm asking her questions that I'm going to start a debate in, but that's what ALL questions do.

If my church didnt want to answer any questions, then I would wonder if they're in a cult.

All religions should be an open book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Maybe she's avoiding it because you are "asking" such obviously leading questions, which you believe you already know the answer to.

You're all set for her to say Jesus isn't God so that you can pounce...no?

Don't you think you can sense that?

From what I understand...it is definitely not part of your religion to jeer at someone else's beliefs, to set them up and jump on them. Have some respect! She's answering as best she can. Are you expecting her to be a Biblical scholar?

I wish more Christians (some already do...sweet blue62 comes to mind! And Alpha) would take their own beliefs to heart. I see SUCH uncharitableness when it comes to Christianity's view of anyone different from them. Do you honestly think you're being a good person by acting this way? I mean honestly. This is a hot spot for me because (as you saw in the thread I started) I saw JUST this incredible derision from a supposed friend of the most STUPID thing. But she says she's "Christian"...

Please. You're a Christian? Then act like your definition of one.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM

25,596 posts, read 24,291,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

Yes it's obvious I'm asking her questions that I'm going to start a debate in, but that's what ALL questions do.
No. That's what all deceptive questions do.

Some questions just, well, ask a question to get an answer.

You already know the answer so it's senseless to ask.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:22 PM

I don't know the answer and will not assume the answer.

Otherwise I would start debating about something that will be irrevelant.

Maybe I'll wait till an Elder can come and give a straight answer.

I'm not being deceptive as my questions are straight.
You should reread the answers and tell me if that's not deceptive.

thank you for your concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No. That's what all deceptive questions do.

Some questions just, well, ask a question to get an answer.

You already know the answer so it's senseless to ask.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,261,318 times
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Alicenevada answered this question in another thread...It may have been titled, 'What Jehovah's Witnesses Really Believe'...or something to that effect. It was a thread she started and I think it was addressed in there.

Personally, as I said, I would not worship Jesus in the same way I worship Jehovah. If my understanding and belief is in harmony with what the JW's believe then I'll continue my study with them. That is how it has been all along.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me about it being in another thread.
I don't see how you expected me to 'know that'.

I'll wait to someone with more understanding can help answer the question, and answer some other questions I have.

thanks

also, you can't expect anyone to know what a JW believes in.

It's not 'evident' as you may think it is.

I can't expect everyone I meet to understand what the words saved, born again, fasting, etc means.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Alicenevada answered this question in another thread...It may have been titled, 'What Jehovah's Witnesses Really Believe'...or something to that effect. It was a thread she started and I think it was addressed in there.

Personally, as I said, I would not worship Jesus in the same way I worship Jehovah. If my understanding and belief is in harmony with what the JW's believe then I'll continue my study with them. That is how it has been all along.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,112,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie45 View Post
As a former Jehovah's Witness, I have to wonder how many Witnesses have done any research beyond what the governing body prints and distributes to them?

The usual JW answer: None because they are the 'faithful slave class' who sees that all food is dispensed at the proper time.

My answer: It would be more healthy than to get only one opinion (the governing body's). That is not really doing research from what I understand the term to encompass. That is like doing a term paper for your college professor and only listing one source.
Ronnie you are so right. I have noticed that every time a JW would comment on Scriptures it is usually thorugh the looking glasses of the Watchtower and by cutting and pasting the WT's literature.

I have discovered that many JWs, who aren't born into the religion, were people who were ex baptists, catholics, mormons etc who didn't have a true understanding of church doctrine or totally ignorant about God's Word. Thus, when a JW comes knocking on their door showing their WT literature, the christian has no point of reference to even challenge them on simple JW teaching as preaching the good news of God's Kingdom over the good news about Jesus death, burial, and ressurection.

What bothers me is their reasoning away of what Scripture clearly teaches. The bible clearly teaches that our spirit goes back to be with God when we die. But, in their What Does the Bible Really teach book, it says, not necessarily. A person who doesn't know that or have a point of reference from being in a bible teaching church would agree because it's written in a book and people tend to believe that if someone took the time and effort to write all of that information in a book and based it on biblical research then it can't be wrong doctrine.

I have read literature of JWs stating or using the argument that early christians didn't doubt what the apostles said to them or what Paul wrote to the church since he was writing under the inspiration of God, through the Holy Spirit. They have argued that the Watchtower is God's true organization, and it is God's direct channel of communication through all of their literature and magazines.

If the organization makes an error, which they have in past, they just note to their followers that they now have new light from God. They used to teach that This generation, who were alive in 1914, shall not pass away before the world ends. Now they have changed it to that generation which means all of those so called annointed JWs that have been around since 1914 are almost dead putting their end of the world prophecy in jeopardy.

The scary part about all of this is that no JW can doubt or say anything against the WT openly or they would be disfellowshipped for developing apostate thinking or reasoning like Christendom. It's a scare tactic that forces many ex witnesses not to fellowship with any christian organization, especially when they pound in their minds that the church is of the devil and that church members are caught in the devil's snare.

Acts 17:11 can't be any clearer about the Bereans: These Jews were more open minded than those in Thessalonica, for they EAGERLY received the message, EXAMINING the scriptures carefully every day to see if these things were so. Shouldn't we all be like the Bereans before we decide to become a JW, Baptist, Catholic, or Mormon?

These four christian religions alone all teach a different Jesus. We need to know which religion is teaching the Jesus of the bible. Have you compared and studied the Word for yourself or are you like many, just trusting what your pastor, elder or religion is telling you to believe about Jesus? It's my prayer that all of us who are seeking God, do so prayerfully and with a zeal that only God's Holy Spirit can cause all of us to have. The Truth shall set all of us free, and Jesus is THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE, AND NO MAN CAN COME TO THE FATHER BUT THROUGH JESUS. jOHN 14:6 Amen!

Last edited by antredd; 10-31-2008 at 01:00 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,461,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Why would you need to go through Jesus?

Praying THROUGH someone IS Idolatry.

You shouldn't be praying to anyone BUT God.
Why would you need to go through Jesus? Because there's an order of things in the spiritual. You think I would dare go straight to the throne, bypass the Son who is seated on the right hand of the Father and let my needs be known? Who do I think I am? That I do not acknowledge the very One that came and walk in the flesh, was crucified and died for our sins? And go straight to the Father and tell Him what, how sorry I am that you sent your only Begotten Son, and though I did'nt acknowledge Him, I know that, "it is You Thou Art, that is Lord"? Really? Are you that bold?

Believe every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of Jesus Himself.

1. "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
2. "In My Father's house are many mansion; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (See here, He cannot lie. It's against His very nature.)
3. "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.
4. "And where I go you know, and the way you know."
5. Thomas ( for emphasis, you can add your name here) said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?"
6. Jesus said to him ( your name again), "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one (your name again) comes to the Father except through Me. (see here, you cannot go straight to the throne; bypassing the Son)
7. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." ( see, He and His Father are one)
8. Phillip (your name here) said to Him. "Lord show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us." (would it be sufficient for you?)
9. Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known me Phillip? (your name) He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, "Show us the Father'?
10. "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the work. (If something is dwelling in me, Betsy, or you renriq02, is it not still a part of you? Part of me?)
11. " Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

And if you don't believe a single word that He Himself spoke here, believe Him for the sake of the works themselves. What have He done for you lately? Beside protecting you throughout the night, waking you up this morning, I assume your still breathing, giving you yet another day to come to the knowledge of the truth.

But that's what it all boils down to; choice. To believe or not to believe. You posted, I answered, What you do with it is entirely up to you. How do I know what have been posted here is the absolute truth? Because Jesus said so before I did. Truth. First, if you know Jesus, He introduces you to truth. Secondly, if you know truth, it introduces you to Jesus. They're inseparable.

See, God cannot lie. He cannot lie for at the least, two reason: One, truth is part of His nature. and two, there's no evil in Him. And therefore, because we know God cannot lie, we place our total trust in Him. We rely on His words and trust His promises. Completely! So it's only in truth I come to you. There's one and only one way to get to God, and it's through His Son Jesus Christ. You can bank your entire life on this. It's guaranteed. God Bless.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 10-31-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM

I believe Jesus is God but JW's don't believe so

They believe that Jesus is Archangel Michael.

We are to only worship God not angels

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM

4,309 posts, read 5,461,874 times
I quoted your question in my response. renriq02. You asked a question and I answered. As I stated in the above, what you do with it, is entirely up to you. But if you have since came to the knowledge of the truth, my friend, I thank the Lord another veil has been lifted. Pass it on. God bless.

Your sister in Christ Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity