U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,260,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
those who 'strayed' away didn't keep the Torah or the Tenakh.

Only the High Priest was to invoke the name of God once per year.
Is it your belief, then, that the bible should be only in the hands of the high priest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,115,438 times
are we speaking about the bible now or the word Jehovah?

The scribes were in charge of the Word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Is it your belief, then, that the bible should be only in the hands of the high priest?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
are we speaking about the bible now or the word Jehovah?

The scribes were in charge of the Word of God.
either/both

Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 AM

The bible was not in the hands of the High Priest.

I simply stated that only the High priest would invoke the name of God one day out of the year (Yom Kippur)

It wasn't common at all for anyone else to be saying the name of God.

Jews have reverence for the name of God, and believed it to be very holy.

Today, Gentiles have 'come up' with names that may sound similar but it's not the name of God. My name is Robert, and I dont like to be called Bob.

Regardless, they as in the High Priests would ONLY speak the name of God one day out of the year.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM

In the bible, it is clear that he wants people, ALL people, to know his name...Psalms 83:18; Exodus 9:16; Isaiah 12:4. The practice of the high priest being the only one to speak His name once a year seems to hamper His desire to have everyone know His name and call on it. Could that be just a tradition that strayed from pure worship?

BTW, I do realize that the "bible" as we know it as a bound collection of books was not in the hands of the high priest.

Last edited by beeveenh; 10-22-2008 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Exodus 3!!!!! Way before !
Exodus 3:15
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations

Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

So even then it shows that if His name was Jehovah that that's not how Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob knew Him by.

Tradition? You're right as the High Priests were before, and now everyone has strayed.

To say society has gotten more 'conservative' would be false as society becomes more liberal as the days go by.

Quote:
In the bible, it is clear that he wants people, ALL people, to know his name...Psalms 83:18; Exodus 9:16; Isaiah 12:4. The practice of the high priest being the only one to speak His name once a year seems to hamper His desire to have everyone know His name and call on it. Could that be just a tradition that strayed from pure worship?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Exodus 3!!!!! Way before !
Exodus 3:15
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

So even then it shows that if His name was Jehovah that that's not how Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob knew Him by.

Tradition? You're right as the High Priests were before, and now everyone has strayed.

To say society has gotten more 'conservative' would be false as society becomes more liberal as the days go by.
At Genesis 15:7, 8 Jehovah does make his name known to Abraham.

7 He also said to him, "I am the LORD (the tetragramaton rendered as Jehovah), who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to take possession of it." 8 But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, how can I know that I will gain possession of it?"
So how would you reconcile this?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM

As a bad translation

Quote:
At Genesis 15:7, 8 Jehovah does make his name known to Abraham.

7 He also said to him, "I am the LORD (the tetragramaton rendered as Jehovah), who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land to take possession of it." 8 But Abram said, "O Sovereign LORD, how can I know that I will gain possession of it?"
So how would you reconcile this?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:23 AM

BTW you should also look up who started the word 'Jehovah'

Most of these articles came from Philo who believe that homosexuality was not a sin.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 AM

A bad translation?

Perhaps Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob didn't see Jehovah the way Moses did. Jehovah's name means "He causes to be". Abraham was given a promise that God would make a great nation of him. This promise was passed down to Isaac and then to Jacob but upon none of them were God's promises realized. They knew the literal name of Jehovah and used it, but they did not come to know or experience Him as the One who caused these promises to be fulfilled.

It's like knowing someone, but not knowing all sides of that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity