U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,094,482 times

Advertisements

Maybe it would? maybe it wouldnt?

God is giving an opportunity for those that are sinning to repent.

Vile / awful? No. Meaning that it is a very important topic to God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So sodomites would without a doubt get the death penalty if our nation was ruled under God which it says "one nation under God" in our constitution.

What do you mean God is reserving judgment for his reasons?

Yes there are many not punishable by death, your point is that sodomy is of the most vile and awful?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,094,482 times
No I haven't.

This is the whole text

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Quote:
and so, you already quoted that

Old 10-12-2008, 11:36 PM

396 posts, read 730,562 times
Wow, I go to make supper and it continues...
Time to ressurect my post from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people will say they believe in one thing and do something else. I've never understood "Fundies," and after seeing this, I don't really think I want to even begin to try. It really really really scares me to think that people would pray for something like that. I'm sorry if I sound mean or whatever, but it's how I feel. I've seen too many shootings and stabbings and assaults and DEAD CHILDREN to pray for something like a stock market crash and not peace. But, hey, I guess I'm just a dumb Paramedic like that.
Quote:
There is more to Christianity than just scripture. There is tradition that goes along with it. Althought some people don't believe that there is tradition, every single denomination and sect has traditions. Some of these traditions are not found in the Bible, either. Some will say this is not 'Christian' and 'God doesn't approve,' but as I said, every denomination has traditions. Some of these traditions stem from the other denominations when 'splits' occurred. 2 examples: Christmas and Easter. Catholics worship God, but also honor the BVM and the saints in heaven. Some people don't agree with this (and actually say Catholics are going to hell for it), but then again, there are traditions that other people have that Catholics don't agree with. Example: Female ministers. I don't mind female ministers. It was a little different for me the first time I heard my friend preach as I had never been to a church with a female minister (as I had always gone to a Catholic Church and erroniously believed as some do that everyone else was going to hell - I have since changed my views over about 12 or 13 years). This is actually an example of progressive thinking and changing times. In Biblical times women were basically property and expected to be obedient to their husbands. For that matter, all women were expected to be married (with very few exceptions such as the 'Vestal Virgins') by a certain age. It would be unthinkable back then for myself to be 30 years old and unmarried or even hold down the job that I do (even as late as the 1960's and 70's). So, you see, there is more to Christianity than just Scripture.
Quote:
...As I said, it really scares me that you would pray for tradgedy and fire and brimstone instead of peace, but I guess until you see the things that I see and have seen in my job, you would probably be more inclined to see my point. Yes, we tend to be more 'callous' in my profession, but you ask anyone in my line of work and they'll tell you that things really hit home with kids. I have cried TWICE on the job (from the job) in my entire career. Both times were over kids. Sick kids that didn't make it. You don't do my job for the money. There is no glory in my job... ...I would rather pray for peace than tragedy, which is why your initial statements (and the one above there) scares me still.
I'm definitely a little bit 'deeper' than my colleagues. I like to have a good debate. I'll even argue just because I feel like arguing (just ask my old partner at work...we would do that just for fun). I joke that I'm an 'equal opportunity bigot' and say that 'i hate everybody.' But the truth is, i don't. What I hate, is intolerance. I hate it when someone tells me I'm wrong for my beliefs when no one knows for sure who on earth is 100% correct. There will be people that will tell me that they are 100% correct or as long as you follow the Bible 100% and follow their particular brand of Christianity 100%, I will be fine. The thing is, I march to the beat of my own drummer. Don't tell me I need to march to the beat of God. My drummer was provided to me by God. Trust me. I listen to my heart in almost everything I do. I firmly believe that none of us has things 100% correct, but as I said, as long as you believe, I'm good with it. My problem comes when people get 'high and mighty' and tell me I'm wrong for my beliefs. My problem comes when people refuse to do their 'homework' and only spout the propeganda they've been taught for years. I'm by no means perfect, and I'll be the first to tell you this. Just do me one HUGE favor: Listen. Open your minds. Open your ears. Open your eyes. Open your hearts. Don't thump. Don't condemn. Don't judge. LOVE.
I will change the part highlighted in red to fit this thread:
I've seen too many shootings and stabbings and assaults and DEADH CHILDREN to continue to argue with people that 1) don't want to accept that what they believe might be wrong, 2) don't want to accept that other people believe differently than they do (and practice a brand of christianity that might be slightly different than their own), 3) that call themselves 'Christian' yet continue to bash and berate and insist that their bigotry is the only way to go and that their version/translation of the Bible and Greek is correct, 4) that continue to snip little bits of the Bible and self interpret those passages and twist them to mean whatever they want, 5) and I absolutely refuse (as a Health Care Professional) to listen to people spout off about their so called 'medical knowledge' when their medical knowledge comes from nothing more than a web site or a TV show. If you are a Health Care Professional, then that's fine, but if you are not, that's another story. I will continue to believe the way I do. You can call me heretical, you can tell me to go to hell or that I'm going to hell (I'd suggest you examine yourself before you do that though as it's not your place or the place of any Mortal), or whatever. As I said in the quote above, there are bigger things to worry about in the world than if someone is gay or not. I fully accept homosexuals and will continue to do so. I will treat each person that I come across in my professional life the same as the next until they give me reason to do so otherwise. I might just be a dumb Paramedic, but I am DAMN PROUD to be who I am and I am DAMN GLAD that God nudged me to leave the School of Music I attended and into the Emergency Medical field. I'm also proud to have known so many great people including my old minister (a lesbian) who continues to help me grow spiritually! I would start thinking SERIOUSLY about praying for PEACE. Hug your kids a little bit tighter. Let that kiss with your significant other last a little bit longer. Watch that sunset for an extra 5 minutes. Just knock off the CRAP and LOVE like we were designed to. Like I said, maybe I'm just a dumb Paramedic, but this is what I believe and how I feel.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times
Isn't most of that old testament.

For example: "Leviticus 20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood [shall be] upon him." I'd be scared to see children being put to death for cursing their parents....seriously.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM

Hey Morale Officer,

This is for you!

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" (Matthew 5:9) says Jesus Christ himself.

Quote:
Wow, I go to make supper and it continues...
Time to ressurect my post from the other thread:

I will change the part highlighted in red to fit this thread:
I've seen too many shootings and stabbings and assaults and DEADH CHILDREN to continue to argue with people that 1) don't want to accept that what they believe might be wrong, 2) don't want to accept that other people believe differently than they do (and practice a brand of christianity that might be slightly different than their own), 3) that call themselves 'Christian' yet continue to bash and berate and insist that their bigotry is the only way to go and that their version/translation of the Bible and Greek is correct, 4) that continue to snip little bits of the Bible and self interpret those passages and twist them to mean whatever they want, 5) and I absolutely refuse (as a Health Care Professional) to listen to people spout off about their so called 'medical knowledge' when their medical knowledge comes from nothing more than a web site or a TV show. If you are a Health Care Professional, then that's fine, but if you are not, that's another story. I will continue to believe the way I do. You can call me heretical, you can tell me to go to hell or that I'm going to hell (I'd suggest you examine yourself before you do that though as it's not your place or the place of any Mortal), or whatever. As I said in the quote above, there are bigger things to worry about in the world than if someone is gay or not. I fully accept homosexuals and will continue to do so. I will treat each person that I come across in my professional life the same as the next until they give me reason to do so otherwise. I might just be a dumb Paramedic, but I am DAMN PROUD to be who I am and I am DAMN GLAD that God nudged me to leave the School of Music I attended and into the Emergency Medical field. I'm also proud to have known so many great people including my old minister (a lesbian) who continues to help me grow spiritually! I would start thinking SERIOUSLY about praying for PEACE. Hug your kids a little bit tighter. Let that kiss with your significant other last a little bit longer. Watch that sunset for an extra 5 minutes. Just knock off the CRAP and LOVE like we were designed to. Like I said, maybe I'm just a dumb Paramedic, but this is what I believe and how I feel.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 AM

3,576 posts, read 452,553 times
Morale Officer,

I would just like to say that your posts show your love and compassion, and it heartens me to know that christians like you exist

Old 10-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Thanks for leaving me out and not giving me any compliments, Meerkat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Morale Officer,

I would just like to say that your posts show your love and compassion, and it heartens me to know that christians like you exist

Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 452,553 times
artsyguy,

I'm sorry ........

It encourages me that you and others as well that I have seen on this site are seeking truth, honesty and feel compassion for others.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-13-2008 at 01:33 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 AM

30,037 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Quote:
I haven't heard a compliment yet.......
Sounding at bit desperate there guy, but hey I think you did very well, as did several others. I just wish all people would accept others regardless of their differences. It would be a much more civil and pleasant world in which to live if we did...I see progress being made in that direction, but it is painfully slow.

We have had gay marriage here in Canada for several years now, and it was a huge issue for some before it was legislated, but since then most folks here don't even think about it....There are still some bigots, but their numbers are shrinking fast. We do have an advantage in this respect, as we are not burdened with the number of fundamentalists that you have.

I believe that acceptance starts at home by teaching children difference is not always a bad thing....On the other side of the coin parents that teach that gays are evil are just perpetuating the problem.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:00 AM

Sanspeur you are correct. Good for you.

My point is why are gays always trying to manipulate Christian Fundamentalists to accept them. LOL. Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sounding at bit desperate there guy, but hey I think you did very well, as did several others. I just wish all people would accept others regardless of their differences. It would be a much more civil and pleasant world in which to live if we did...I see progress being made in that direction, but it is painfully slow.

We have had gay marriage here in Canada for several years now, and it was a huge issue for some before it was legislated, but since then most folks here don't even think about it....There are still some bigots, but their numbers are shrinking fast. We do have an advantage in this respect, as we are not burdened with the number of fundamentalists that you have.

I believe that acceptance starts at home by teaching children difference is not always a bad thing....On the other side of the coin parents that teach that gays are evil are just perpetuating the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or