U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
Reputation: 1007

Advertisements

Love does not abide in evil, and evil doesn't abide in Love according to the bible.

I think you need to come to reality as all Christians are not alike.
I see a adulterer as the same way as I see a homosexual.
They're both wrong in the eyes of God, and I dont hate either one of them. Why would I hate them?

Most people hate or do not like homosexuals because they see it as 'unnatural'. You will find this in any religion, and even those who dont believe in God.

We are all sinners whether we're gay or not. The bible tells us so.
The bible condemns adultery, fornication, homosexuality, and I believe what the bible says. Nobody is perfect as we can fall into any sin....we have to be vigilant in what we believe in.

Judgemental? We are called to be judgemental but we are not called to condemned. How else would we know what is right from wrong? If we have any doubts or questions then we refer back to the bible.

BTW I dont believe in that people are 'born gay' as 'science' will be proving this anytime now. If that's the case then science is saying that homosexuality is a disorder. It's obvious to know that heterosexual is the 'norm', and following something outside of it is 'not the norm'. This is called a 'disorder'. If you truly believe that science is correct, then you're also telling me that science will soon develop a 'cure' for this disorder.

To participate in hetero/homo/bi sexual activities is a choice that everyone makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
Bideshi - thanks for proving my point about the distorted view that Christians hold on love. Love without acceptance cannot exist... it is a contradiction in terms. Be honest with yourself - you feel little, or any love for anyone who differs from you and your values - so spare us the mock-compassion, it's not remotely sincere; it usually means the exact reverse - you hide behind your religion (Christ forgive you) to express the hate and intolerance that you really feel. Personally, I don't give a damn whether you accept me or not, but sadly, there are many gay people out there who are hurt by your condemnation of them as 'sinners', no matter how decent and kind they may be to their fellow man. From my religious up-bringing, I seem to remember Jesus saying that only the guiltless should throw stones, and as none of us is perfect (except you, perhaps) - what gives you the right to be so bitter and judgemental? To me, that is a far more serious failing than simply being gay, especially as your bigotry often inflicts deep hurt on genuine, loving individuals. - After all, who made gay people, if not God? Think about it.

 
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 450,839 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Love does not abide in evil, and evil doesn't
BTW I dont believe in that people are 'born gay' as 'science' will be proving this anytime now. If that's the case then science is saying that homosexuality is a disorder. It's obvious to know that heterosexual is the 'norm', and following something outside of it is 'not the norm'. This is called a 'disorder'. If you truly believe that science is correct, then you're also telling me that science will soon develop a 'cure' for this disorder.

To participate in hetero/homo/bi sexual activities is a choice that everyone makes.
My friend... I sit here wandering at your sheer discourtesy in branding me 'disordered'. Apart from being highly offensive, as you don't know anything about me, it merely serves to reenforce my view that Christians like yourself are hopelessly blinded by the dictates of a 2000 year old book of doubtful veracity. OK. you may believe the unbelievable - that is your right - but you have totally lost sight of the need to be respectful to everyone you meet. Fortunately, despite being an atheist, I believe I am civilised enough not to be so arrogant and rude to people, let alone presume to tell them they are 'disordered' whenever they don't happen to share my views..... That apart, may I ask you if you have had any personal experience of being attacked and bullied from the age of 11, as I have - all on account of "choosing to be gay' in a community that called itself religious? Probably not, so you won't begin to understand how distressed and confused a child of that age can be when he realises he is simply not attracted to the opposite sex. So much for 'choosing to be gay'. Why are you so threatened by anything you see as being "outside the norm" - I have spent my life contributing to society in the best way I know how, and have NEVER knowingly hurt or attacked anyone. So I don't think I need your approval for the way I am, despite your festering Christian contempt. So which of us would you say most needs a 'Cure'...? Thank goodness there are so few people here in Britain who feel the need to be so offensive - America the Land of the Free? - don't make me laugh! The land where bigotry reigns supreme, to judge by the venom in your sad posting.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
Reputation: 1007
Reread what I wrote, and you will see that I wrote that SCIENCE states that.

BTW - I was born and raised Jewish. I think me, family, and many generations knows what it means to be bullied or had attempts for my family/race to be annihilated.

Also, read up on the science articles. It's points made IF anyone believes that they are born gay.

You know it to be true that there are many people who are not even religious that believe homosexuality is unnatural.

Disorder - lacks order. Read it in a science or English dictionary.

Also, please 'spare me' the points on personal attacks.

You should read your post about us having 'distorted views' 'mock compassion'...and not being 'sincere'.

You should take up your own advice about
Apart from being highly offensive, as you don't know anything about me

You dont know me or the poster you replied to and yet you said he/she isn't sincere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
My friend... I sit here wandering at your sheer discourtesy in branding me 'disordered'. Apart from being highly offensive, as you don't know anything about me, it merely serves to reenforce my view that Christians like yourself are hopelessly blinded by the dictates of a 2000 year old book of doubtful veracity. OK. you may believe the unbelievable - that is your right - but you have totally lost sight of the need to be respectful to everyone you meet. Fortunately, despite being an atheist, I believe I am civilised enough not to be so arrogant and rude to people, let alone presume to tell them they are 'disordered' whenever they don't happen to share my views..... That apart, may I ask you if you have had any personal experience of being attacked and bullied from the age of 11, as I have - all on account of "choosing to be gay' in a community that called itself religious? Probably not, so you won't begin to understand how distressed and confused a child of that age can be when he realises he is simply not attracted to the opposite sex. So much for 'choosing to be gay'. Why are you so threatened by anything you see as being "outside the norm" - I have spent my life contributing to society in the best way I know how, and have NEVER knowingly hurt or attacked anyone. So I don't think I need your approval for the way I am, despite your festering Christian contempt. So which of us would you say most needs a 'Cure'...? Thank goodness there are so few people here in Britain who feel the need to be so offensive - America the Land of the Free? - don't make me laugh! The land where bigotry reigns supreme, to judge by the venom in your sad posting.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Reread what I wrote, and you will see that I wrote that SCIENCE states that.

BTW - I was born and raised Jewish. I think me, family, and many generations knows what it means to be bullied or had attempts for my family/race to be annihilated.

Also, read up on the science articles. It's points made IF anyone believes that they are born gay.

You know it to be true that there are many people who are not even religious that believe homosexuality is unnatural.

Disorder - lacks order. Read it in a science or English dictionary.

Also, please 'spare me' the points on personal attacks.

You should read your post about us having 'distorted views' 'mock compassion'...and not being 'sincere'.

You should take up your own advice about
Apart from being highly offensive, as you don't know anything about me

You dont know me or the poster you replied to and yet you said he/she isn't sincere.
Science does NOT state that...You are bound by your ignorance, and it shows.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
Reputation: 1007
really?

Disorder
n. lack of order, confusion; something irregular;

Unnatural
adj. not natural, abnormal,

Normal
adj. regular; standard; usual, common




Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Science does NOT state that...You are bound by your ignorance, and it shows.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 10:59 AM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 450,839 times
Reputation: 121
Please read the article below (the first to come up on a google search) if you still persist in misquoting the world of 'Science' on the subject in question. Needless to say, you are decades out of date in your beliefs, as no reputable scientific body these days regards being gay as a disorder, much as you would like to think so. That view was officially thrown out as early as 1973 - no argument.
With regard to your Jewish credentials, believe me, I have nothing but the deepest respect for that Nation, and have many wonderful and cultured Jewish friends. However, all of them would take you to task for your fondness for the word 'unnatural' in regard to homosexuality. and it shocks me whenever a member of a historically persecuted minority group such yours and mine fail to show the humility and empathy to each other. If I was in any way 'unnatural' - then I wouldn't exist in a Natural world. Yet I obviously do, and without apology, just as you shouldn't ever apologise for, or deny your Jewish heritage. I needn't remind you where victimisation of minorities led to in the 20th Century, and nor should I have to remind you that thousands of gay men perished in Hitler's camps alongside the Jews. You will therefore understand why it is no longer acceptable to throw around words such as 'unnatural' (or sub-human, which is just as bad). If God created you as you are, so he did me, whether you can get your head around it or not. Live and let liv

A brief history of professional and scientific beliefs about homosexuality: (curtsey of Google).

Until the mid 1950's the scientific study of human sexuality was in its infancy; research into sexual orientation was almost unknown. Homosexuality had been condemned by religious leaders for centuries. Almost all gays and lesbians remained securely in the closet. Homosexual behavior was a criminal act in most states of the U.S. It was branded a sexual deviation by mental health professionals. Homosexuality was listed as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association in their Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders.

During the early 1950's, Psychologist Evelyn Hooker was inspired to undertake research into sexual orientation after having befriended Sam From. He was a gay student who attended one of her psychology classes at UCLA. He didn't seem to fit any of the familiar stereotypes of a gay male. With a grant from the National Institute of Mental Health, she compared two groups of subjects: one homosexual and the other heterosexual. Author Ryan Johnson wrote:

"Both groups were matched for age, intelligence quotient (IQ) and education level, and were then subjected to three psychological tests. These three tests, the Rorschach, Thematic Apperception Test (TAT) and the Make-A-Picture-Story Test (MAPS), were then analyzed by psychologists, and the results were tabulated. The results of Hooker's experiment yielded no significant differences in answers..." 4 between the two groups.

In 1957, Hooker published a report called "The Adjustment of the Male Overt Homosexual." It showed that "homosexuals were not inherently abnormal and that there was no difference between homosexual and heterosexual men in terms of pathology." Dr. Hooker headed the Task Force on Homosexuality of the National Institute of Mental Health for many years. Johnson wrote:

"As a result of Hooker's finding, the American [Psychological Association]... removed homosexuality from its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychological Disorders in 1973. In 1975 it then released a public statement that homosexuality was not a mental disorder. In 1994, two decades later, the American Psychological Association finally stated, '...homosexuality is neither a mental illness nor a moral depravity. It is the way a portion of the population expresses human love and sexuality'."

Evelyn Hooker died on 1996-NOV-18, but had lived long enough to see the acceptance of homosexuality as a normal, natural sexual variant by most religious liberals, social liberals, and youth. She also saw the establishment of a new area of scientific study: sexual orientation in humans.

As of 2006, all of the professional organizations in the field state that homosexuality is a normal, natural, and fixed sexual orientation, with the exception of a small group, The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality whose beliefs appear to be based on conservative Christian theology.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
Reputation: 1007
Read the definitions of the words, and you will see for yourself.

Norm as sexual orientation.

I'm not talking about how well they did in school or being the richest.
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Read the definitions of the words, and you will see for yourself.

Norm as sexual orientation.

I'm not talking about how well they did in school or being the richest.
I stand by my previous statement. Tell me....What is the definition of "bigot"
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times
Reputation: 1007
Believe it or not we're both bigots because YOU dont want to accept MY LIFESTYLE or OPINIONS.

A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I stand by my previous statement. Tell me....What is the definition of "bigot"
 
Old 10-12-2008, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
I don't recall saying there was something wrong with your life style, Calling you out on your intolerance and lies about gays does not make me a bigot my friend. Neither does not accepting your opinions. If that were the case everybody could be called a bigot.

big·ot (bgt)n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top