U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:53 PM

3,577 posts, read 454,899 times

Advertisements

I also agree with Nero, Shana and Bud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,962,258 times
If it is as I suspect, that is a "world' of perfect love, there would be no need for "special" relationships.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,821,515 times
Amen Oakback, we would all love to the fullest because God, who is love, will be all to all and in all. God bless.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 AM

178 posts, read 278,669 times
Default I appreciate the discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Shana and Nero are correct: Adam and Eve are not married in heaven, and neither is anyone else. Jesus himself said so...
Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the discussion.

If we look at the account in Mark, Jesus never commented about Adam and Eve and their marriage. The Sadduces, whom didn't even believe in the resurrection posed a hypothetical question to Jesus about a woman marrying several brothers (each one having successively died) under the terms and conditions of the law of Moses. They then asked him whose wife she would be in the resurrection (this despite the fact that they didn't even believe in the resurrection). He then rebuked them, certainly at least in part for their disbelief in the resurrection. Then stated when they rise from the dead "they neither marry nor are given in marriage..."

I believe the words marry and marriage are used within the context of two verbs. Culturally back then, the men married and the women were "given" in marriage. In a marriage, this verb happens once... when the marriage covenant is actually initiated. Apparantely, the actual marriage covenant itself cannot be initiated in the resurrection (as opposed to here in mortality, where it can be initiated). Furthermore, as these individuals married and were given in marriage under the terms of the law of Moses while in mortality (that is what the situation relays) apparantely, this is not a lasting marriage.

In the situation relayed in Mark, these people were married under the law of Moses, a law which I believe most of Christianity would believe that though being a schoolmaster, does not continue through the eternities, as the full law and authority of Christ does.

The situation with Adam and Eve is not the same as the hypothetical situation given to Christ. Adam and Eve were not married under the law of Moses. They "married" and were "given in marriage" while they were immortal. This marriage by the direct power, authority and blessing of God.

Jesus did comment on the marriage of individuals under a hypothetical situation under the law of Moses. He did not comment on Adam and Eve (though could it be possible maybe the sadducees may have had an underlying assumption about Adam and Eve's union being forever, which they then applied to the situation of the other individuals under a law of Moses situation to try to trap Jesus... perhaps... I don't know).

Adam and Eve were married while immortal. If married while immortal... it would seem that the intent must have been an eternal marriage. Why then would they not be married forever?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:15 AM

178 posts, read 278,669 times
Default I like your thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If it is as I suspect, that is a "world' of perfect love, there would be no need for "special" relationships.
I like your thinking Oakback. Though marriage certainly does provide a "special relationship" of love, (and I agree that in heaven there will be perfect love) is that the only purpose of marriage?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:47 AM

352 posts, read 476,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHarris View Post
Thanks for the input. I do appreciate the discussion.

If we look at the account in Mark, Jesus never commented about Adam and Eve and their marriage. The Sadduces, whom didn't even believe in the resurrection posed a hypothetical question to Jesus about a woman marrying several brothers (each one having successively died) under the terms and conditions of the law of Moses. They then asked him whose wife she would be in the resurrection (this despite the fact that they didn't even believe in the resurrection). He then rebuked them, certainly at least in part for their disbelief in the resurrection. Then stated when they rise from the dead "they neither marry nor are given in marriage..."

I believe the words marry and marriage are used within the context of two verbs. Culturally back then, the men married and the women were "given" in marriage. In a marriage, this verb happens once... when the marriage covenant is actually initiated. Apparantely, the actual marriage covenant itself cannot be initiated in the resurrection (as opposed to here in mortality, where it can be initiated). Furthermore, as these individuals married and were given in marriage under the terms of the law of Moses while in mortality (that is what the situation relays) apparantely, this is not a lasting marriage.

In the situation relayed in Mark, these people were married under the law of Moses, a law which I believe most of Christianity would believe that though being a schoolmaster, does not continue through the eternities, as the full law and authority of Christ does.

The situation with Adam and Eve is not the same as the hypothetical situation given to Christ. Adam and Eve were not married under the law of Moses. They "married" and were "given in marriage" while they were immortal. This marriage by the direct power, authority and blessing of God.

Jesus did comment on the marriage of individuals under a hypothetical situation under the law of Moses. He did not comment on Adam and Eve (though could it be possible maybe the sadducees may have had an underlying assumption about Adam and Eve's union being forever, which they then applied to the situation of the other individuals under a law of Moses situation to try to trap Jesus... perhaps... I don't know).

Adam and Eve were married while immortal. If married while immortal... it would seem that the intent must have been an eternal marriage. Why then would they not be married forever?
An interesting theory, I will give you that; however, your post really invites even more questions to be asked. Yes, Adam and Eve were immortal when they were married by God and that would suggest that they should be married for eternity; none of us really know, it is simply how we are able to interpret the Scripture. But, what about marriages under the New Covenant; we no longer live under the Law but live by the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. Would a marriage now be eternal? We are all mortal, but the God who formed the Law then is the same God who formed the New Covenant now; we are all mortal which suggests that we might not have eternal marriage, even if Adam and Eve does.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 AM

810 posts, read 1,259,660 times
So you all think that, although Adam and Eve sinned directly against God, having first hand knowledge and being perfect, they may be in heaven? You just wonder if they are married in heaven???

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,558,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Yes, Adam and Eve were immortal when they were married by God and that would suggest that they should be married for eternity; none of us really know, it is simply how we are able to interpret the Scripture. But, what about marriages under the New Covenant; we no longer live under the Law but live by the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. Would a marriage now be eternal? We are all mortal, but the God who formed the Law then is the same God who formed the New Covenant now; we are all mortal which suggests that we might not have eternal marriage, even if Adam and Eve does.
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mat 19:6)

Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,101,195 times
We will have heavenly bodies.

That verse applies to divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. (Mat 19:6)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 AM

352 posts, read 476,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
We will have heavenly bodies.

That verse applies to divorce
I agree with renriq02 on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity