Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 02:08 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,144,390 times

Advertisements

As a Christian seeking to become a bond-servant of Christ, I was pondering what it means to rebuke temptation, and the tempter. By overcoming this, it would seem that the flesh's need for sin diminishes, until the body is cleansed from all unrighteousness. Yes, I do realize that Christ's Blood has cleansed us, when we were converted, but sadly, most don't remain in this state of perfection. They continue to fall, daily, relying on Jesus to continue to do all the work in redeeming us over, and over, and over. A never ending supply of Blood, that need sprinkled, daily.

But that isn't what my Bible says. In fact it is pretty strong in wording the exact opposite of this, starting with Jesus telling folks to "sin no more, lest a WORSE thing befall them."

So, in order to lead a repentant life, or a complete turning around, and loosening up in the spirit to succeed where Jesus did. To resist temptation then would be the ultimate goal. ALL of them, not "most" of them. The Tempter will come at us with everything he has, but God is faithful to those who believe in Him, and not let more than we can handle come upon us at any given time. Case in point from Paul:

1Cr 10:12
Therefore let him who THINKS he stands take heed that he does NOT fall. No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, FLEE from idolatry. I speak as to wise men; you judge what I say.

These verses here are powerful, if taken as they are. It means we ALL are tempted, as this is common to ALL men, but the temptation will not be so powerful that God has not allowed a means of escape from it. He always DOES. Also I did not highlight the verse about idolatry, but it need to be bolded beyond belief.

But back to the temptations. Jesus said and
remember this is a direct REQUEST to the Father, our God.

Mat 6:13
'And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]'

Here is OUR command from Jesus, directly:

Mat 26:41 "Keep WATCHING and PRAYING that you may NOT enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Watching is with the eyes wide open, cautious, and on guard. Ready for anything.

Probably the best analogy for how this process works, is in Jesus own Words, put in a parable for us to understand:

Luke 8:12
"Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved."

"Those on the rocky {soil are} those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no {firm} root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away."

"The {seed} which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of {this} life, and bring no fruit to maturity."

"But the {seed} in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance."

This is almost like a stair-step into what we are to become. First we resist the Word at some point in our lives.

Then we have joy in our lives as we HEAR, and believe, but times of temptation, FALL AWAY.

Then we earnestly seek His face, but then the world gets in our way, as the worries come creeping in to distract us from our first Love.

Then when we HEAR with a purity, that even we cannot recognize, grab it, and hold on to it, and bear fruit for His Kingdom to whom we NOW submit.

Jesus even says this scary verse right after:

Luk 8:18
"So TAKE CARE how you LISTEN!!!!!; for whoever has, to him shall be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has shall be taken away from him."

Now, maybe I am reading too much into this parable, but I see this as how ALL of us as Christians are. Why would I say this? Because they ALL have HEARD the Gospel. Notice they ALL heard!

Since I am seeking His face, and have the faith that He will reveal Himself to me, then my task at hand is to lead a repentant life, overcoming temptations, after I TRULY understand what it is I am fighting. This temptation of the flesh, for my spirit is willing, but my flesh is so, so weak. If this is a stair-step, then I rest at step 2 and step 3. Jesus guide me as my Shepard, and show me the Way Home!

Thoughts from any of you all, who may have a lot more understanding of these verses, or temptations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM

702 posts, read 1,004,110 times
In several verses the word "temptation" should be translated "testing," because, "God tempts no man with evil." Like in the prayer, "Lead us not into testing..."

"Jesus, then, said to the Jews who have believed Him, "If ever you should be remaining in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will be making you free." (John 8:31-32, Concordant Literal Version) http://www.concordant.org/version/index.html When Jesus spoke of "remaining" or, as the Authorized Version has it "continue in my word" He did not say "obey," though it is included in what He said. Here again, something that Jesus says, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death." (John 8:51, Authorized Version) Many thinking themselves believers repudiate that saying, often by inserting a qualifying adjective changing "Never see death," to, "Never see spiritual death;" yet, it remains true. But my focus is on Jesus word, "Keep my saying..." not being, "Obey my saying." This is important, because though we may very much want not to fail to obey, almost everybody's experience is we fail. Not only should we know that God forgives us as we forgive those that transgress against us; but, by keeping His word and continuing in it, even when we fall, it judges us into life. Whether we perform His word or fail to, if we keep it, persisting to get what it says even if we miss it today, then we are His disciples indeed. The knowledge of the truth and it's subsequent liberation of us takes a walk. It isn't all at once in the beginning. The seed sown requires patience. Our perfecting, the finishing work is patience.

Notice how the people of Israel disobeyed God's command to drive out the wicked . . .

Judges 2:1-3:
1 And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.
2 And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this?
3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.

Yet here God takes the responsibility for it so that the new generation coming up would learn to war . . .

Judges 3:1-3:
1 Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan;
2 Only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof;
3 Namely, five lords of the Philistines, and all the Canaanites, and the Sidonians, and the Hivites that dwelt in mount Lebanon, from mount Baalhermon unto the entering in of Hamath.
4 And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the LORD, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,314,228 times
I prefer the Monty Python solution to tempation.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM

702 posts, read 1,004,110 times
"Where ever you go, there you are."

Old 10-15-2008, 07:01 PM

11,808 posts, read 3,626,306 times
HotinAZ,

What I think is that we each have our own temptations to overcome. It seems that there is a danger of focussing on yourself and your righteousness and desire to be perfect. Also if the focus is on yourself you may not see someone in need or forget to serve someone else in their need.

Jesus says that the humble will be exalted Matt 23:12

I know that the more I learn, the more I realise and understand that there is so much, much more that I don't know.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 PM

11,808 posts, read 3,626,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I prefer the Monty Python solution to tempation.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Done that ......
Quote:
Quote From JamesMRohde
and found this to be so true

Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,314,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post

Perhaps I should have used the word "flee"

Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,144,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
HotinAZ,

What I think is that we each have our own temptations to overcome. It seems that there is a danger of focussing on yourself and your righteousness and desire to be perfect. Also if the focus is on yourself you may not see someone in need or forget to serve someone else in their need.

Jesus says that the humble will be exalted Matt 23:12

I know that the more I learn, the more I realise and understand that there is so much, much more that I don't know.

I would most assuredly agree with this statement. I have always believed, that what may be a sin for one person, may not be for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity