U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 451,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
hmmm you didnt post anything to this extent.

How did I know you had other motives starting this thread?

If you're seeking for confirmation of your choice of leaving that church then you're in the wrong place. Make sure to tell the WHOLE truth about a situation so that we can make unbiased opinions.

This is why I treaded carefully when I first responded to your post.
This is from the OP

Quote:
Now, when I was there in bible study, the leaders would openly judge and put down the Mormon church. They would also get defensive and say "they aren't judging the Mormons but they are just wrong about the way that they worship". So, it was one of The Bible studies missions to convert Mormons into bible based Christians. One of their tactics was to pretend to be friends with random Mormon folks, pretend to like their religion, and slowly convert and manipulate the Mormon folks into being bible based Christians. One church leader blurted out to me, out of the way, that they are just going to pretend to be your friend. The church was also very much against Psychology for some reason.

Renriq,

This is why christians get the name of hypocrits,some think that it is ok to manipulate, pretend to be friendly.

Christians are meant to spread the good news of the gospel, not manipulate and lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
No way. There are no other motives. I'm not against churches or Christianity, remember denominations vary for different reasons.

Quote:
hmmm you didnt post anything to this extent.

How did I know you had other motives starting this thread?

If you're seeking for confirmation of your choice of leaving that church then you're in the wrong place. Make sure to tell the WHOLE truth about a situation so that we can make unbiased opinions.

This is why I treaded carefully when I first responded to your post.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:53 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,093,116 times
this is why i question his post.

I asked for examples, and yet he hasn't proven anything.

Pretending to be friends? That in itself is wrong unless he is God, and knows their hearts.

I have seen his other posts...and he's looking for an excuse.

oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
This is from the OP

Renriq,

This is why christians get the name of hypocrits,some think that it is ok to manipulate, pretend to be friendly.

Christians are meant to spread the good news of the gospel, not manipulate and lie.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Ok, I used to be part of a really large church back when I was in college. It was mostly college aged folks that went and another service was for the much older folks. I'd say a few thousand college students would attend the service, and most were also the leaders too, so it was a huge church and gathering for college folks.

Now, when I was there in bible study, the leaders would openly judge and put down the Mormon church. They would also get defensive and say "they aren't judging the Mormons but they are just wrong about the way that they worship". So, it was one of The Bible studies missions to convert Mormons into bible based Christians. One of their tactics was to pretend to be friends with random Mormon folks, pretend to like their religion, and slowly convert and manipulate the Mormon folks into being bible based Christians. One church leader blurted out to me, out of the way, that they are just going to pretend to be your friend. The church was also very much against Psychology for some reason.

Another church member/leader (of the same church) told me she was seducing people that didn't regularly believe in her denomination so that they would attend her church and stay with the church (I'm not sure if she was lying to me) but again I felt a little creeped out.

Does anybody have any opinions on this? It seemed very strange and even a bit unethical to me, I didn't feel comfortable continuing at that church; however, other Christians might have a different perspective on this and can explain a different view or if you agree please say so and offer your thoughts.
Meh, no big surprise this happened. As a child and teenager I was taught that the Catholic church was evil and that the pope was the antichrist. It's all part of the game that religions play. They want you to think they're the only "true" religion.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
Did you not read it when I said the leaders openly admitted to pretending to be their friends. They said it in plain English with pride and no guilt or shame. Ok.

Quote:
this is why i question his post.

I asked for examples, and yet he hasn't proven anything.

Pretending to be friends? That in itself is wrong unless he is God, and knows their hearts.

I have seen his other posts...and he's looking for an excuse.

oh well

Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 PM

that was ONE church leader according to your post.

I dont define a whole church and their beliefs from what ONE person says UNLESS it is the main leader of that church.

Leaving that church for reasons like that is just weird for me.
If they had different teachings of salvation then that would be be a big reason.

Why didnt you stay and pray for the church to change since that seemed to be the 'major' reason why you left?

Quote:
Did you not read it when I said the leaders openly admitted to pretending to be their friends. They said it in plain English with pride and no guilt or shame. Ok.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 PM

2,668 posts, read 3,551,060 times
Quote:
Theory?

We must follow the bible not what a person or denomination says.
And again,all of these groups feel they 'are following the bible'.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:18 PM

and that's why you have to compare what they teach to the bible.

the majority of denominations have a difference in opinions on salvation and/or not 'losing your salvation'

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
And again,all of these groups feel they 'are following the bible'.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Quote:

In other words. One big lie.

No.

Do not try and set me up; I didn't say that it was one big lie.

That is your faulty conclusion and misapropriation of what you have read.

I pointed out that it is hypocritical to say "I don't believe in psychology" and to the proceed to use pyschology as an underhanded means of trying to bring about one's own agenda. It's manipulative. And nobody likes to be manipulated. Especially if it is being done to them intentionally.

Do we "understand" one another, artsyguy?

Something tells me we do.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
In plain English, June is saying this:

If a group of people set out and make a point of clearly stating that they are against something, (in this case psychology) but all the while are making awfully good use of it by pretending to befriend or seduce others due to their own agenda, that, my friend, is called:

Manipulation.

Is it hypocritical?

Let me ask you something: If June, the heathen, was on some sort of "heathen mission" (which Lord knows she is not!) and pretended to be your friend for no other reason than to try and get you to abandon your belief in God, or worse, if I went so far as to date you, sleep with you, make you somehow fall in love with me, intentionally and explicity for purposes of that same agenda, would you feel manipulated? Would I be acting hypocritically? Yes, I would.

-Because it's not honest. It's not sincere. It's deemed manipulative because of that; because it possesses an ulterior, hidden motive and agenda.

It's also, (in June's book) called something else, as well, aside from merely being "manipulation" when used in the realm of intentionally targeting a vulnerable individual or population...Especially as regards their personal belief system.

This theist would call it EVIL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity