U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,456,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Yes there is a hell in the bible but it is the common grave, not a burning fiery place of eternal torment. And again, if you feel that God makes no allowance for mental illness-perhaps you don't know him as I do.
What is a common grave and if it is just death, then why did Jesus suffer the agony of pain and shame, die physically and spiritually? so that we all don't have to cease to exist. Doesn't sound like Jesus had to go thru all that. Makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,103,707 times
You can't die in your sins if you're a Christian.
You're covered by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Does this mean 'once saved always saved'. No.
Does this mean 'you can't lose your salvation'. Yes and No.

One doesnt 'lose' salvation as it is a free gift given to us when we accept it.
Some people preach 'once saved always saved' because we can't lose salvation.

Once saved always saved isn't wrong because we can't lose salvation...it's wrong because we can reject salvation even after we have accepted it.

God gives us free choice. To say we are now chained to salvation is against what free choice is.
Either we accept Him and His teachings
or we deny Him with our actions.

The New Testament doesn't teach that we should love in words...it says we need to love BY ACTIONS.

By our ACTIONS we refuse/reject the free gift that was offered to us.
This is why we SHALL be saved. It is a fight to the end.
Committing suicide is giving up.

There is one last thing we will overcome just as Jesus did.
That is Death.
Will we go through the Second Death or live everlasting with God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I don't understand what you mean, "misinterpret" the bible is very clear, that verse talks about dieing in your sins whatever it might be?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM

You should read your bible as no common graves has fire/brimstone/ and a worm that NEVER dies.

Soon science and new laws will prove that Hitler had a 'mental illness'.
I wonder how they will present this argument to God?

Quote:
Yes there is a hell in the bible but it is the common grave, not a burning fiery place of eternal torment. And again, if you feel that God makes no allowance for mental illness-perhaps you don't know him as I do.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 4,998,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
You should read your bible as no common graves has fire/brimstone/ and a worm that NEVER dies.
Hmmm, so you've evidently chosen to accept this imagery as literal? May I ask why?

And incidentally, I read my bible daily so I dont feel that is the source of my 'confusion'.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM

May I ask Why not?

To say it is 'imagery' is 'hoping' for something.

To read it like it is ... is common sense.

Quote:
Hmmm, so you've evidently chosen to accept this imagery as literal? May I ask why?

And incidentally, I read my bible daily so I dont feel that is the source of my 'confusion'.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

What is a common grave and if it is just death, then why did Jesus suffer the agony of pain and shame, die physically and spiritually? so that we all don't have to cease to exist. Doesn't sound like Jesus had to go thru all that. Makes no sense to me.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
He died a criminal's death...and he died to buy back the life that Adam lost. And he did it out of love for humankind.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
He died a criminal's death...and he died to buy back the life that Adam lost. And he did it out of love for humankind.
but why, Couldn't He just die and then rise, why the whole sweating in the garden, the brutality he underwent not to mention the shame and degradation, last the crucifiction and what did it mean when it said, it pleased God to pour His wrath on Jesus.

He did all that so He could buy back the life, I don't get it and who was He buying it back from?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM

19There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
May I ask Why not?

To say it is 'imagery' is 'hoping' for something.

To read it like it is ... is common sense.
So you read all the scriptures like they are? You don't acknowledge that some things are written in symbolism? I usually accept the scriptures based on context and deep study. There are obvious differences in things that should be taken at face value and things that are symbolic, I feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity