U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times

Advertisements

There is nothing in the bible that says, suicide is the unforgivable sin, that was a made up Roman Catholic belief that managed to transcend in protestant teaching as well.

The only unforgivable sin is dieing in your sins without repenting and putting your trust in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM

2,214 posts, read 4,995,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
If my memory serves me correctly didn't Jdubs believe that Jesus was God the Father. I believe they did.
Not sure what you're referencing. The bold type you highlighted is referring to 1st century Christians.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,094,482 times
actually blaspheming the Holy Spirit is unforgivable.

How can you later repent after committing suicide?

Quote:
There is nothing in the bible that says, suicide is the unforgivable sin, that was a made up Roman Catholic belief that managed to transcend in protestant teaching as well.

The only unforgivable sin is dieing in your sins without repenting and putting your trust in Christ.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Actually it is highly disputed that the rich man and lazarus is not a parable. If it isn't what would be the Jdub's reason for the story Jesus told?
It is a parable. Therefore I can't speculate about its being fact. Look again at the context...it is set up almost identically to other parables Jesus told.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:38 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Moderator cut:

June is not denying that the issue of hell and whether a person goes there in the event he/she commits suicide is relavent to the OP.

However:

It needs to be kept in the context of "suicide" and the OP; as opposed to becoming a derailed thread about "hell."

--All I'm asking is for everyone to please remain on topic.

Thanks!

-June

Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Okey dokey. Then I'll just say: We are not the judges of men. Only God can determine whether someone who is desperate enough to commit suicide is doing so to grieve the Holy Spirit or simply mentally unstable, an imperfection of this world. Therefore, in comforting those who have lost a loved one to this horrible situation (my own uncle committed suicide five years ago), hopefully we will all leave the judgement of such ones to God and focus instead on the anguish of the surviving relatives.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Okey dokey. Then I'll just say: We are not the judges of men. Only God can determine whether someone who is desperate enough to commit suicide is doing so to grieve the Holy Spirit or simply mentally unstable, an imperfection of this world. Therefore, in comforting those who have lost a loved one to this horrible situation (my own uncle committed suicide five years ago), hopefully we will all leave the judgement of such ones to God and focus instead on the anguish of the surviving relatives.
Spot on. I want to see as He sees (don't we all desire to), and I consider what he sees in a murderer, rapist, etc. The causes behind these actions.

I can't judge.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
How can you later repent after committing suicide?
Really? You need some creativity lessons. I can think of a half dozen ways right off the top of my head. Many take the pills then change their minds (repent) and get their stomachs pumped and survive. Sometimes it's too late.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,094,482 times
Good point. LOL Sorry I'm not creative in how to lose my salvation lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Really? You need some creativity lessons. I can think of a half dozen ways right off the top of my head. Many take the pills then change their minds (repent) and get their stomachs pumped and survive. Sometimes it's too late.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 PM

405 posts, read 1,127,726 times
When it comes right down to it Jesus committed suicide.
He had the supernatural power to stop Mr. Pilate from
sending him up to the cross.
Instead, he chose to become a martre.
And he certainly ain't in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity