Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I already gave you the proof....

If you dont want to accept it then that's another issue.

Gehenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh don't get me wrong...i am quick to accept fact. But the link you gave me refers to the literal fire of Gehenna. The Jews definitely knew about Gehenna.

There is no evidence that Christ taught that there was a literal burning fire that the wicked could anticipate. Eternal 'cutting off' is mentioned -death w/ no hope of resurrection or life. Instead, doesnt it state that a man's thoughts when he dies 'go back to the ground' and 'perish'? How could this be if they were suffering eternally in hellfire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
'Hell is more accurately translated as 'Gehenna' here. Jesus used this literal location as a metaphor for eternal destruction. After all,, the things thrown into Gehenna didnt burn forever. They were obliterated, just like anything else that is burned up.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I thought Jehovah Witnesses took the bible literally, that is what my friend always said.

Not when it's obviously figurative...

Old 10-13-2008, 11:46 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
In the wikipedia link it says that Ghenna could destroy body and soul.

Quote:
In the synoptic gospels Jesus uses the word Gehenna 12 times to describe the opposite to the life during the promised kingdom [1]. It is a place where both soul and body could be destroyed (Matthew 10:28) in "unquenchable fire" (Mark 9:43).
I never understood how anything could be tormented in fire forever. We burned mounds and mounds of brush and all that was left was about 2 inches of ash. Fire destroys things. Even the "soul".

I agree with Alicenevada, that it is a figurative to show eternal nonexistance.

Last edited by beeveenh; 10-13-2008 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default I hope you're o.k....

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
This might be very touchy but does the bible speak on..
What happens to someone if they commit suicide?
Does the crime fit the punishment if someone has a horrible life..
And ends it to spent eternity in hell?
Why are you asking about suicide?

This subject makes me very uncomfortable. It's a well known fact that people who talk about suicide may be contemplating suicide.

Has anyone asked if you're o.k.?

Depression can be like a totally consuming, crippling darkness where people can't see any hope. IMHO, a person who is so depressed that they are contemplating suicide doesn't really care what the Bible says about it by that point.

It seems to me that we christians should be more concerned about pouring in the oil than discussing the ramifications.

If you are thinking about suicide, please talk to someone.
Please, get help.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
We are soul and spirit - "them" is that which cannot remain after His fire has extinguished (or separated).

Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Why are you asking about suicide?

This subject makes me very uncomfortable. It's a well known fact that people who talk about suicide may be contemplating suicide.

Has anyone asked if you're o.k.?

Depression can be like a totally consuming, crippling darkness where people can't see any hope. IMHO, a person who is so depressed that they are contemplating suicide doesn't really care what the Bible says about it by that point.

It seems to me that we christians should be more concerned about pouring in the oil than discussing the ramifications.

If you are thinking about suicide, please talk to someone.
Please, get help.

I totally agree with World Citizen!!! And even if somebody in our lives is talking in this manner, we should encourage this person and try to get one too help of some kind... and not take lightly of one who is asking such kind of questions!!!

Blessings

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I hope I don't sound insensitive, but I believe suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and self centeredness.
I hear this statement a lot but I think that is way too sweeping of a statement. If a person believes the world is better off without them and is willing to injure themselves unto death (for whatever reason) then they are obviously in need of help but it is not necessarily a selfish act, although it could possibly be a very confused act.

An "ultimate act of selfishness and self centeredness" would need to have (at it's roots) sociopathic behavior where others would be harmed without conscience. If the suicide is committed solely to injure others then it could qualify for your statement.

I do believe that selfishness is at the root of most emotional anguish (and all sin for that matter) but I judge that to be a symptom of the flawed human state.

Then you have cases where the death wish is simple matter of physical illness which can drive some beyond the point willingness to continue.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
There's no point than to argue with someone that doesnt view the word of God as literal.

People love to pick and choose of how they think God is (according to the bible), and almost all the times I have seen this is because of their lifestyle.

This is a touchy subject, and most people dont like to think their deceased 'love ones' are in hell. Then they makeup stuff and believe blindly in what they want to believe.

The bible is was and is still taught today as literal and not 'figuratively' speaking. To believe it 'figuratively' is 'hoping' to something of your own opinion. To believe it that way and be wrong can cost you your eternal salvation.

If I'm wrong about it's literal sense, then I'm sure I'll be corrected by God when I die.
If I'm right then there will be a lot of so called Christians burning for eternity.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
You can't die in your sins if you're a Christian.
You're covered by the blood of Jesus Christ.

Does this mean 'once saved always saved'. No.
Does this mean 'you can't lose your salvation'. Yes and No.

One doesnt 'lose' salvation as it is a free gift given to us when we accept it.
Some people preach 'once saved always saved' because we can't lose salvation.

Once saved always saved isn't wrong because we can't lose salvation...it's wrong because we can reject salvation even after we have accepted it.

God gives us free choice. To say we are now chained to salvation is against what free choice is.
Either we accept Him and His teachings
or we deny Him with our actions.

The New Testament doesn't teach that we should love in words...it says we need to love BY ACTIONS.

By our ACTIONS we refuse/reject the free gift that was offered to us.
This is why we SHALL be saved. It is a fight to the end.
Committing suicide is giving up.

There is one last thing we will overcome just as Jesus did.
That is Death.
Will we go through the Second Death or live everlasting with God?
Renriq,

Just an observation, I believe that our actions in themselves is not loving it needs to come from the heart - hypocrisy is where you say and/or do something but there is the opposite in your heart it makes your actions an act.

God will be judging by everyones deeds and he will be judging by the intentions of the heart. Everyone will be judged through Christ (this is why As in adam all die so in Christ all will be made alive (nothing will be outside of Christ -but first everything needs to be a) fully obedient - and that is not just saying Lord, lord it is believing from the heart and b) purified, no sin will enter and none will be just covered over - the judgement is for and against for everyone.

Also Jesus says for all who labor and are heavy laden to come to him and he will give rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity