U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
 
4,437 posts, read 5,806,926 times
Reputation: 1342
Examples of passages that are bewildering to me regarding the trinity:

John - 45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi,[c] lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"[d]

also

Mark - 32"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Both seem like contradictions to the idea of the trinity. Hard to wrap my head around it I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
 
7,765 posts, read 9,362,364 times
Reputation: 3388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Examples of passages that are bewildering to me regarding the trinity:

John - 45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi,[c] lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"[d]

also

Mark - 32"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Both seem like contradictions to the idea of the trinity. Hard to wrap my head around it I suppose.
The first one's a bit more involved than the second, bigthirsty.

I've heard folks use the second as a way to say 'Jesus wasn't God or He would have known!'

Not necessarily though. I heard a guy once say "Is there anything God knows, that he chooses not to know?"

That sounded crazy to me but then I really started thinking about it....

"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more." Heb 8:8-12
OUR SINS! Thank God!

So, God knows our sins but chooses not to remember them. I know, I know....sounds crazy probably but remember, something about us is in God's image....not vice versa....He's much bigger and more complex than us.

I think Jesus and God are one in the same but I believe the different aspects of the Godhead play different roles.

There's no way to articulate the Trinity in human words but sometimes I think of it sorta like the police department. The officer on patrol is a representative of the entire police force. So is the detective. So is the Chief, etc. All separate in their duties and responsibilities but all equally the 'police force'.

There's serious errors with all human analogies, but that's one that 'sorta' explains for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
 
4,437 posts, read 5,806,926 times
Reputation: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
There's serious errors with all human analogies, but that's one that 'sorta' explains for me.
In all seriousness, have you explained it to yourself so you understand it (because others have said there is a Trinity)?

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 8,457,118 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
In all seriousness, have you explained it to yourself so you understand it (because others have said there is a Trinity)?

Does that make sense?
Yes! because if there is no Trinity then I am sorry but God would have to be psyzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM
 
2,940 posts, read 3,089,878 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
In all seriousness, have you explained it to yourself so you understand it (because others have said there is a Trinity)?

Does that make sense?
In my opinion that is the problem with the trinity and some other doctrines that the church espouses. I use to do the same thing for many years when I was part of the church system. The church said this is true and they gave their spin on it. It really didn`t seem to add up with so many other scriptures. But because the church and so many other..so called..learned religious people and preachers believed it and taught it, I tried to find a way to reconsile it in my mind so I would believe it.... or somehow put it in a way that I could somehow reconsile it with other scriptures that basically contradicted it. When I finally decided to just stop trying to read into scripture stuff that wasn`t there...it became much clearer for me. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 8,457,118 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
In my opinion that is the problem with the trinity and some other doctrines that the church espouses. I use to do the same thing for many years when I was part of the church system. The church said this is true and they gave their spin on it. It really didn`t seem to add up with so many other scriptures. But because the church and so many other..so called..learned religious people and preachers believed it and taught it, I tried to find a way to reconsile it in my mind so I would believe it.... or somehow put it in a way that I could somehow reconsile it with other scriptures that basically contradicted it. When I finally decided to just stop trying to read into scripture stuff that wasn`t there...it became much clearer for me. Just my thoughts.
again God would have to be psyzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
 
2,940 posts, read 3,089,878 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
again God would have to be psyzo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:40 PM
 
8,990 posts, read 8,457,118 times
Reputation: 725
God is love, then God always loved. Who did an eternal being love if not another eternal being? An eternal being could not have always loved a being with a beginning.

If God is by His lonesome then He must be psyzo because He refers to Himself in a plurality form. "Let US make man in OUR image"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Little Elm, TX
6,943 posts, read 7,000,971 times
Reputation: 4108
My father and I have the same last names; that makes us both ______.

That's a simple way to explain the concept, except they (the Trinity) are of one mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
 
2,940 posts, read 3,089,878 times
Reputation: 1537
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
My father and I have the same last names; that makes us both ______.

That's a simple way to explain the concept, except they (the Trinity) are of one mind.
Just like Jesus calls us to be one... like he and the Father are one. One in spirit but seperate beings. Just like you and your father have the same name but you are not your father and your father is not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top