Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM

78 posts, read 196,244 times

Advertisements

Is Satan one of Our Heavenly Fathers Children? Was he born good and then changed his ways? When I read about the creation he is always just there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
He lives in God's tool box and walks at the end of our Daddy's leash.

When he comes at you, ask our Father what He desires to accomplish - and say, "Satan, not from you but from my father's hand I receive this - because you've got nothing here."

Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
He lives in God's tool box and walks at the end of our Daddy's leash.

When he comes at you, ask our Father what He desires to accomplish - and say, "Satan, not from you but from my father's hand I receive this - because you've got nothing here."
I agree,

Satan is adversary, if we resist the evil (lust, greed, retaliation, my way not Gods way) then it has no control over us - we overcome.

International Standard Version (©2008)
John 8:44 You belong to your father the devil, and you want to carry out the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning and has never stood for truth, since there is no truth in him. Whenever he tells a lie he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
You come from your father, the devil, and you desire to do what your father wants you to do. The devil was a murderer from the beginning. He has never been truthful. He doesn't know what the truth is. Whenever he tells a lie, he's doing what comes naturally to him. He's a liar and the father of lies.

King James Bible
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:37 PM

78 posts, read 196,244 times
Thank you for your answers.
I guess I asked my question the wrong way. IS Satan litterally one of Our fathers children. Was he created from our Eternal Father and Mother? Was he cast out of Heven and our fathers presence?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntobeme View Post
I guess I asked my question the wrong way. IS Satan litterally one of Our fathers children. Was he created from our Eternal Father and Mother? Was he cast out of Heven and our fathers presence?
God created all there is, and I believe that Satan hasn't done anything that took Him by surprise. The plan of salvation keeps rolling along...

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Satan was an angel of the highest order. Satan was the most powerful angel, not even Michael the arch angel dare challenge Satan over the body of Moses.

Angels were not made in the image of God and who is the eternal father and "mother"?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,363 times
Quote:
There is no real scriptural support for a fallen angel named Lucifer. The KJV followed Jerome's lead from the Vulgate - an early-5th-century translation of the Bible into Latin from Greek (note: NOT from the original Hebrew). In Jerome's translation - "Lucifer" occurs in Isaiah 14:12-14 as a translation of the Greek word heosphorus ("dawn-bearer"), an epithet of Venus. The actual Hebrew text says הילל בן שחר (heilel ben-schahar), meaning "Helel son of Shahar."

Helel was a Babylonian / Canaanite god who was the son of another Babylonian / Canaanite god named Shahar.

Helel was the god of the morning star and his father was Shahar, god of the dawn. Some translations of Isaiah 14:12 "How art thou fallen from heaven, O day-star, son of the morning!" American Standard Version translating Hebrew Helel as "day-star" and the Hebrew word Ben as son and the Hebrew word Shahar as "of the morning."

In Isaiah, this title is specifically used, in a prophetic vision, referring the king of Babylon's pride and to illustrate his eventual fate by referencing Babylon's own mythological accounts of the planet Venus' fall from grace from among the gods.

There is just centuries of Christian tradition (non-biblical) attached to the subject and the obvious meaning gets totally lost in the translation.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,363 times
Default More Lucifer info

Ezek 28:2 "Son of man, say to the ruler of Tyre, `This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "`In the pride of your heart you say, "I am a god; I sit on the throne of a god in the heart of the seas." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god.

The problem some people have when it comes verses like these is that they have trouble distinguishing poetic language from literal language. When they see something like:

Ezek 28:14-15 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you.

They jump from the subject previously defined (that being Tyre) to a literalistic definition of a guardian cherub. They think the answer must be "It's Satan". But then the literalistic approach falls apart in the next verse:

Ezek 28:16 Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones.

It no longer works to say that Satan was expelled from heaven because of his widespread trade and violence. In context it is impossible to make these verses refer to Satan. There are no Biblical statements which identify Satan as a guardian cherub, that is only a result of the reader inserting their preconceived ideas into the verse.

The chapters around the references used by those who support the Lucifer myth (in both Isaiah and Ezekiel) are prophecies dealing with other nations. Many with the same kind of poetic language. For instance:

Ezek 31:2-9 "Son of man, say to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his hordes: "'Who can be compared with you in majesty? 3 Consider Assyria, once a cedar in Lebanon, with beautiful branches overshadowing the forest; it towered on high, its top above the thick foliage...8 The cedars in the garden of God could not rival it, nor could the pine trees equal its boughs, nor could the plane trees compare with its branches-- no tree in the garden of God could match its beauty. 9 I made it beautiful with abundant branches, the envy of all the trees of Eden in the garden of God. (NIV)

Now maybe one could read these verses and say that again we have a reference to Satan. But that kind of creative exegesis would just lead to other problems - such as who are those which envy the mighty tree in Eden.

Now when the above information is presented someone may say "yes the prophecy is about Babylon or Tyre but it is also about the power which is behind their kingdoms, and that is Satan". But should we ignore all we know about Biblical interpretation so that we can keep a myth about Lucifer that no one prior to the second century had any idea of? A myth which no New Testament author even vaguely referred too?

Some supporters of the Lucifer myth point these verses in Isaiah 14:

You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." (NIV)

It is suggested that this is referencing Satan since these ambitions clearly exceed the reach of any human ruler. But of course - they exceed the reach of Satan also. Besides, delusions of grandeur are not uncommon among earthly rulers. We must remember that these and other verses are filled with poetic language.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:54 PM

little elmer, you must spread rep b4 1stborn3x8 can get it...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Your question sounds a lot like Mormon beliefs that Jesus and Satan were brothers. As another poster stated, Satan (Lucifer) was the highest archangel in heaven. Jesus is part of the Trinity, He is God, and yet He is also the Son of God. Let's not forget the Holy Spirit. It's a tough concept to fathom in our finiteness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity