Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,858,368 times

Advertisements

The longer I spend on this earth, the easier it is to see that the vast majority of it is nothing but an illusion used to lead hearts astray from what's real. So I've really been thinking about getting away from it all. The last couple of years have been an enlightening experience and it's as if I've been set free from the programming of this matrix like world we live in. I've learned how money really works (which made my stomach turn once it set in), I've learned how the treasures of this world are fleeting, I've learned not to put much stock in anything except God himself. And once you get to this level of awareness, all there is for you is the comfort of God. When you wake up to the fact that everything around you is complete BS, you truly are free from this world (which is a lonely experience). So I desire nothing more than a modest track of land, where I can sustain myself, live in peace, show others the kindness that God has shown me, and let this world leave me behind. Maybe the Amish are onto something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,143,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
The longer I spend on this earth, the easier it is to see that the vast majority of it is nothing but an illusion used to lead hearts astray from what's real. So I've really been thinking about getting away from it all. The last couple of years have been an enlightening experience and it's as if I've been set free from the programming of this matrix like world we live in. I've learned how money really works (which made my stomach turn once it set in), I've learned how the treasures of this world are fleeting, I've learned not to put much stock in anything except God himself. And once you get to this level of awareness, all there is for you is the comfort of God. When you wake up to the fact that everything around you is complete BS, you truly are free from this world (which is a lonely experience). So I desire nothing more than a modest track of land, where I can sustain myself, live in peace, show others the kindness that God has shown me, and let this world leave me behind. Maybe the Amish are onto something?
Amen to that!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:30 PM

It's times like these when you really start to appreciate the book of Job. God may give or take as he pleases, but I will always remain his regardless.

Now into a deeper discussion. Did I choose to see the world for what it really is, or did God bring me out of my blindness? From what I can gather, not many Christians have experienced this kind of transformation.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 PM

11,783 posts, read 3,623,639 times
Quote:
It's times like these when you really start to appreciate the book of Job. God may give or take as he pleases, but I will always remain his regardless.

Now into a deeper discussion. Did I choose to see the world for what it really is, or did God bring me out of my blindness? From what I can gather, not many Christians have experienced this kind of transformation.
I think both - If you look for truth, you will find truth - some say they look for truth and believe they look for truth but they still hold onto their preconconceptions so they can't see the truth.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,707,096 times
Quote:

I so appreciate this post and POV. I am at a very similar place.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:

I believe it is God who peels the scales off of our blinded eyes to see the Truth. Some welcome this Truth, and others don't want to lose their comforts no matter the costs.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,646,786 times
I agree that it is tempting to just get away from the world. Just live our Christian lives without the hassle of the world bothering us. But God wants us to be salt and light to the world. Which means putting ourselves out there so that hopefully people can see Christ in our lives. We are to love one another, meet other's needs and show the love of Christ through our actions.
I envy the Amish sometimes, hard work, and their lives looks peaceful. But home life may not be what it seems to us. They separate themselves, not going out into the world to preach what Christ did for us on the Cross.
The challenge of life is to live your best life while living in this fallen world

Old 10-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I agree that it is tempting to just get away from the world. Just live our Christian lives without the hassle of the world bothering us. But God wants us to be salt and light to the world. Which means putting ourselves out there so that hopefully people can see Christ in our lives. We are to love one another, meet other's needs and show the love of Christ through our actions.
I envy the Amish sometimes, hard work, and their lives looks peaceful. But home life may not be what it seems to us. They separate themselves, not going out into the world to preach what Christ did for us on the Cross.
The challenge of life is to live your best life while living in this fallen world
At the same time, the Amish are living according to their belief. That, in itself, is a light to the rest of the world. We can see this, in their actions and deeds. Remember when those kids died in that school? I couldn't believe they forgave unconditionally, without restraint. I could only wish for that kind of resolve. If anyone touches my kids, I know a sin would get committed immediately, and I hate knowing this is how I would react.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,312,385 times
I too, was where you are many years ago.

The life of a monk or hermit seemed appealing to me as well.
I befriended monks and amish folks, and discovered that their struggles were not unlike mine.

This crazy world of ours desperatley needs men and women of good will and integrity in all proffessions and vocations who will put on the whole armor.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 AM

It's amazing the peace you can find in God. I used to be so concerned about where my life was going, how my country was going down the path of destruction, how bureaucrats were ruining my life, and how heart break was getting the best of me (long story about a girl). Now I take peace in the fact that it's all going to work out exactly the way it should. Although I feel like a pawn at times (what extent of free will can truly exist when we are nothing more than creations of a perfect God?), I've learned to accept my place. I will live with humility and let God sort out the rest. Will I live a sinless life? No. Will I continue to have weaknesses? Yes. Will this world get the best of me from time to time? Yes, but there is always comfort to be found through faith that God is running things. No matter what I am blessed with or what I lose, I will never covet the treasures of the earth more than God's kingdom. Real happiness/comfort on this earth comes from God alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity