U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,798 posts, read 6,030,875 times
Reputation: 2521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2us View Post
why do you say that? just cause shes mormon?

her whole family loves me and acts like im one of them literally...

she avoids hanging out with any boys because she knows im a jealous time
Because it happens all the time, I've seen it happen, it happens more than not. I guess you'll learn about it in the MTC or the missionfield.

You're borderline codependent if you are not allowing her to hang out with other boys because you are jealous.

Sounds like you're much more concerned with not losing your girlfriend then going on a mission. Why are you going? Pressure from your family or because you want to? I don't think you have any idea of what you are about to do. You have a month left before you head out, you really need to want to go if that's the choice you're making. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM
 
2,671 posts, read 3,555,140 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Because it happens all the time, I've seen it happen, it happens more than not. I guess you'll learn about it in the MTC or the missionfield.

You're borderline codependent if you are not allowing her to hang out with other boys because you are jealous.

Sounds like you're much more concerned with not losing your girlfriend then going on a mission. Why are you going? Pressure from your family or because you want to? I don't think you have any idea of what you are about to do. You have a month left before you head out, you really need to want to go if that's the choice you're making. Good luck.
While i have nothing against someone going on a mission if that is something they have a sincere desire to do i'm kind of leaning toward agreeing with moonsavy in your case.Your girlfriend isnt going to avoid speaking to a boy for two years while you arent around.She shouldnt be avoiding 'talking' to boys even if you are around.It is very important that you go on a mission because 'you' want to and are willing to make your mission the focus of your attention for the next two years.If being around your girlfriend is more important to you at this point in your life then dont go,if your family is pressuring you remember its your life and the world wont come to an end and they will likely accept it eventually.Just remember that staying isnt going to guarantee you keep the girl either.You really need to be sure that going on a mission is the right thing for you and that you are willing to make the commitment required of you.You will do both yourself and the church a disservice to go on a mission for the wrong reasons as your focus will be on other things.Perhaps finish college first and then see how you feel.goodluck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
 
13 posts, read 23,647 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well of course there is a chance you will lose her if you go.....there is also a chance you will lose her if you dont go.Do what you feel is right,i know its hard to believe this but even if you do lose her you will find another.You have no guantee of keeping her either way.goodluck regardless
thank you very much, this helps so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
 
13 posts, read 23,647 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
While i have nothing against someone going on a mission if that is something they have a sincere desire to do i'm kind of leaning toward agreeing with moonsavy in your case.Your girlfriend isnt going to avoid speaking to a boy for two years while you arent around.She shouldnt be avoiding 'talking' to boys even if you are around.It is very important that you go on a mission because 'you' want to and are willing to make your mission the focus of your attention for the next two years.If being around your girlfriend is more important to you at this point in your life then dont go,if your family is pressuring you remember its your life and the world wont come to an end and they will likely accept it eventually.Just remember that staying isnt going to guarantee you keep the girl either.You really need to be sure that going on a mission is the right thing for you and that you are willing to make the commitment required of you.You will do both yourself and the church a disservice to go on a mission for the wrong reasons as your focus will be on other things.Perhaps finish college first and then see how you feel.goodluck to you
the whole thing is i want to go in a way because i wanna go on a mission i just dont wanna risk lossing her. if i personally hadda make the choice i wouldnt go but she wants me to badly and would feel guilty forever she says. I also want to do this and know its the right thing to do in 3 years i know ill be so happy i went its just the hard part going right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
1,917 posts, read 6,309,546 times
Reputation: 1958
Go on your mission. If she is the one, then she'll be there when you return. If she's not then it wasn't meant to be and you'll find your true love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,821,504 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2us View Post
how are people to blieve in the one he has sent if they dont know him?
That all depends who is making the requirement. God needs not a church to spread the word, just like Jesus didn't need the synagogue...or the temple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 AM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
ok, myth-busting. or maybe fib-busting. call it what you will. missions are not required. there are even authorities in the church that never served a mission (gasp!).

second, if your girlfriend waits (as in, doesn't go out with other guys while you're gone), then she is retarding her own social development and happiness. i would assume that you don't want her to be miserable, no? socially underdeveloped? confused? bitter? need i go on?

if you want to go, go for the right reasons. if you don't want to go for the right reasons, wait.

if you go, tell your girlfriend to live a normal, *social* life. and the rest is as ctr said: if she is single when you get back, great. see if you are still in love with each other (reality check: most of those that wait, or even just get back together after the mission end up breaking up--you both change a lot in two years). if not, wish her luck, and go make your own luck.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,156,066 times
Reputation: 973
Get an education first. Forget the girl, forget the mission and get an education! Please! You are very young, you are wanting to get away from home (this is oh, so natural!!!) and going on a mission is a way to do this...but you will be far more prepared to do missionary work once you have grown emotionally, and having an education under your belt is going to change many of your perceptions. You need time and experience and emotional growth....college! College! College!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 04:21 PM
 
178 posts, read 278,706 times
Reputation: 40
Default Hit your knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2us View Post
hi every1one i have a couple questions if you could answer them...im going to san fransisco on november 19 btw if any1 has served there mission there it would gratly loved if you could share your experience.

do alot of missionaries get hurt or even killed on there mission?

i have a gf waiting for me thats going to univerisity of wyoming and she promises she will wait for me and we have been dating for 1 year and are very very close! is there a chance i will lose her while im gone?

just wondering how every1s mission was for them as well.

thanks very much
I've seen a few of your posts now. Sounds like you may need to read the scriptures and hit your knees. Based on many of the questions you are asking... I'm not entirely sure you are LDS. If so, have you read the Book of Mormon? Do you know that it IS another testament of Jesus Christ? Do you have a testimony of the truths you are about to dedicate two years of your life to share? You are not going to receive the answers and confirmation YOU need in this forum.

Pray. Prayer is the best forum.

A mission is hard work. It is also rewarding work. There are many challenges. Most of the time, it is not "fun," though part of this certainly will depend on your attitude. If your going to have "fun" you're in for a big awakening. Statistically speaking... your girlfriend is unlikely to still be your girlfriend in two years (though there certainly are exceptions). Not many missionaries are "hurt or killed" but some historically have been. Such is very rare today. If you are very concerned about this... you probably shouldn't go.

Regarding education... a mission is some of the best education you will receive. The Lord honors those who put Him first. I know this from personal experience. If you honorably fulfill a mission, you will gain skills, work ethic, maturity and life experience that will benefit you and your family tremendously for the rest of your life (this is NOT the reason you should serve though). These skills will help you tremendously as you further pursue your education after a mission as well.

The type of mission you serve will be a blueprint of the rest of your life.

Despite (and perhaps because of) the very hard and emotionally taxing work, I relished my mission and would do it again. I saw people accept and learn about whom Jesus Christ truly is. I saw lives changed and bettered. This brought true joy. In the process... perhaps my life was changed the most of all... I now see these blessings being manifest in the lives of my children, and it brings a great deal of joy. The gospel plan you are about to share is wonderful and marvelous! It is God's plan of Happiness.

Think and pray about it... then get off the fence one direction or the other. Your missionary companions did not dedicate two years of their lives to serve the Lord with somebody who isn't committed.

Last edited by JNHarris; 10-16-2008 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 07:33 PM
 
13 posts, read 23,647 times
Reputation: 11
im committed to sreving and would love the work they do.. i went with missionaries when i was 18 for 3 months almost every day for 3-6 hours a day and loved it. im 20 atm

im just worried about going now, i know ill love it when i go. just i think alot about everything and i am worried about lots of the things and just is looking for re insurrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top