U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
 
13 posts, read 24,063 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

hi every1one i have a couple questions if you could answer them...im going to san fransisco on november 19 btw if any1 has served there mission there it would gratly loved if you could share your experience.

do alot of missionaries get hurt or even killed on there mission?

i have a gf waiting for me thats going to univerisity of wyoming and she promises she will wait for me and we have been dating for 1 year and are very very close! is there a chance i will lose her while im gone?

just wondering how every1s mission was for them as well.

thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,798 posts, read 6,154,923 times
Reputation: 2525
My advice is to postpone the mission and enroll yourself into a college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Reputation: 1308
I would ask yourself this question..
What is the work that heavenly father requires?

John 6:27-29

"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

I would postpone the mission for a long, long, long time. I don't read anything in the Bible that Jesus says anything about doing a mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 AM
 
1,703 posts, read 4,700,503 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I would postpone the mission for a long, long, long time. I don't read anything in the Bible that Jesus says anything about doing a mission. [/color]
Oh you don't read anything in the Bible about spreading the message of the gospel or feeding His sheep? You know a mission isn't always just about proselyting.

hi2us, I think it's great you're going on a mission and you're pretty lucky to be going to San Francisco. Missionaries very rarely die on missions and it's usually only in 3rd world countries, you have nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,826 posts, read 10,164,770 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Oh you don't read anything in the Bible about spreading the message of the gospel or feeding His sheep? You know a mission isn't always just about proselyting.
I do read about spreading the gospel. But I also can read what Heavenly Father requires...no where does he require doing a mission, let alone for 2 years. But then, that is the difference between the gospel of LDS and the gospel of the Way, the Truth and the Life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,798 posts, read 6,154,923 times
Reputation: 2525
hi2us I believe you have a serious reality check coming. Be prepared to have your booty kicked (religiously speaking) by the people in san fran an lds mission is not a 2 year vacation. Do you have any idea what you are about to do? I ask because I had many friends go on missions and while they were out hated it. But you could be completely different.

About the girlfriend, you're absolutely going to lose her, (as you should if you're serious about a mission) say goodbye now, if she's around when you get back great, odds are she will be married to someone else (if she's mormon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
 
13 posts, read 24,063 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
hi2us I believe you have a serious reality check coming. Be prepared to have your booty kicked (religiously speaking) by the people in san fran an lds mission is not a 2 year vacation. Do you have any idea what you are about to do? I ask because I had many friends go on missions and while they were out hated it. But you could be completely different.

About the girlfriend, you're absolutely going to lose her, (as you should if you're serious about a mission) say goodbye now, if she's around when you get back great, odds are she will be married to someone else (if she's mormon)
why do you say that? just cause shes mormon?

her whole family loves me and acts like im one of them literally...

she avoids hanging out with any boys because she knows im a jealous time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM
 
13 posts, read 24,063 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I would ask yourself this question..
What is the work that heavenly father requires?

John 6:27-29

"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

I would postpone the mission for a long, long, long time. I don't read anything in the Bible that Jesus says anything about doing a mission.
how are people to blieve in the one he has sent if they dont know him?

Last edited by hi2us; 10-15-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
 
2,798 posts, read 3,671,268 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I would ask yourself this question..
What is the work that heavenly father requires?

John 6:27-29

"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval."

Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

I would postpone the mission for a long, long, long time. I don't read anything in the Bible that Jesus says anything about doing a mission.
I dont read anything in the bible where jesus tells you to spend countless hours on the internet on your anti-mormon mission either but i guess he is led to his mission just as you are led to yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
 
2,798 posts, read 3,671,268 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2us View Post



i have a gf waiting for me thats going to univerisity of wyoming and she promises she will wait for me and we have been dating for 1 year and are very very close! is there a chance i will lose her while im gone?



thanks very much
Well of course there is a chance you will lose her if you go.....there is also a chance you will lose her if you dont go.Do what you feel is right,i know its hard to believe this but even if you do lose her you will find another.You have no guantee of keeping her either way.goodluck regardless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top