Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
There are many diseases and afflictions where a person can appear to be dead and not actually BE dead.
True. On the other hand, God is all powerful, and can raise the dead if it is His will.

So we never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
True. On the other hand, God is all powerful, and can raise the dead if it is His will.

So we never know.
So he chooses to raise some unknown guy from a street in Hong Kong rather than someone like Sister Theresa. Nice, good to know.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
This is the whole basis behind voodoo and zombies...people claiming other people are raising from the dead due to potions and spells, etc. It is probably everyone's wish to have someone they loved brought back from the dead, but I have seen my share of dead folks and believe me, you don't want them raising up.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
So he chooses to raise some unknown guy from a street in Hong Kong rather than someone like Sister Theresa. Nice, good to know.
What makes you think that the unknown guy on the street is any less important than Sister Theresa?

That's the beauty of God's love.. everyone is equal.

Some people inspire others by their life.. others may inspire people by being raised from the dead. ()

We can't see God's plan.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
What makes you think that the unknown guy on the street is any less important than Sister Theresa?

That's the beauty of God's love.. everyone is equal.

Some people inspire others by their life.. others may inspire people by being raised from the dead. ()

We can't see God's plan.

I agree. I tend to think these things DO happen on occasion. (and is documented in the NT) Especially in an impoverished 3rd-world country where stuff like black magic, voodoo, witchcraft, demon worship, etc is practiced....where I think God is more likely to do miracles to more or less say "hey...I'm real...look: here's proof" kind of thing to those unbelievers. Here in America I think we tend to think of ourselves as "way too educated and smart to believe in that hokus-pokus stuff...we know better". We're taught unbelief all our lives, beginning in our youth, from every source imagineable, even churches. (Like: "we're a modern, somber, educated church. We don't believe in that stuff, even though it's in the Bible" Well, isn't that convenient...now we don't need faith, and our church will back us up! (God forbid, that a church would expose our lack of faith!) Anyway, that said, here's the other thing I see about stories like this, the raising of the dead, or other "supernatural":

I have somewhat of a hesitation to make a reply, after I see such postings. Why? Well....because...it's the "peer pressure" thing. If I say that I believe the story, then I run the risk of appearing "dumb and naive" for believing it. Like, how could I be so "stupid and uneducated". On the other hand, if I say I don't believe the story, then I run the risk of appearing to have "little, or no faith"...a modern day "doubting Thomas". Which is worse: believing a story from an obscure source, or having no faith? I mean, even athiests have "no faith", therefore, what good am I? What do I say....hmmm....

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-06-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I agree. I tend to think these things DO happen on occasion. (and is documented in the NT) Especially in an impoverished 3rd-world country where stuff like black magic, voodoo, witchcraft, demon worship, etc is practiced....where I think God is more likely to do miracles to more or less say "hey...I'm real...look: here's proof" kind of thing to those unbelievers. Here in America I think we tend to think of ourselves as "way too educated and smart to believe in that hokus-pokus stuff...we know better". We're taught unbelief all our lives, beginning in our youth, from every source imagineable, even churches. (Like: "we're a modern, somber, educated church. We don't believe in that stuff, even though it's in the Bible" Well, isn't that convenient...now we don't need faith, and our church will back us up! (God forbid, that a church would expose our lack of faith!) Anyway, that said, here's the other thing I see about stories like this, the raising of the dead, or other "supernatural":

I have somewhat of a hesitation to make a reply, after I see such postings. Why? Well....because...it's the "peer pressure" thing. If I say that I believe the story, then I run the risk of appearing "dumb and naive" for believing it. Like, how could I be so "stupid and uneducated". On the other hand, if I say I don't believe the story, then I run the risk of appearing to have "little, or no faith"...a modern day "doubting Thomas". Which is worse: believing a story from an obscure source, or having no faith? I mean, even athiests have "no faith", therefore, what good am I? What do I say....hmmm....

Bud
I know what you mean. I often wonder why here in America, where we could easily document a miracle (amputated limb restored, major cancer healing, etc.) and the major networks report it.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM

216 posts, read 604,234 times
Quote:

So we never know.

I agree.
What may seem impossible in our eyes is POSSIBLE with GOD.
AMEN to that.

God is a God of miracles if we can faith in HIM.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisTruth View Post
I agree.
What may seem impossible in our eyes is POSSIBLE with GOD.
AMEN to that.

God is a God of miracles if we can faith in HIM.
What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles? Were they not a sign or an authentication of His Deity? Why did He raise the dead? Was it not to demonstrate that He had power over death--a power attributable only to God and to prove that He was "the resurrection and the life?"

Jesus authenticated Himself as God in the flesh through His miracles. He died, was buried, and rose again for our justification. Miracles also authenticated the calling of the apostles, but when the Scriptures were complete, when every word from God was written, there was no more need for such miracles of authentication.

God still raises people from the dead, but when He does so, if they are His, He takes them to be with Him. He does not restore them to this life for them to die again! We have been everything necessary for life and godliness in God's Word.

Preterist

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
thank you for sharing your opinions

'no need' isn't what Jesus taught for the Kingdom of God is not in word but in POWER.
The miracles of God have yet to cease, and will continue.
Healings occur everyday all over the country and world.

My brother has the gifts of healings, and everytime he prays for someone to get healed...they get healed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
What was the purpose of Jesus' miracles? Were they not a sign or an authentication of His Deity? Why did He raise the dead? Was it not to demonstrate that He had power over death--a power attributable only to God and to prove that He was "the resurrection and the life?"

Jesus authenticated Himself as God in the flesh through His miracles. He died, was buried, and rose again for our justification. Miracles also authenticated the calling of the apostles, but when the Scriptures were complete, when every word from God was written, there was no more need for such miracles of authentication.

God still raises people from the dead, but when He does so, if they are His, He takes them to be with Him. He does not restore them to this life for them to die again! We have been everything necessary for life and godliness in God's Word.

Preterist

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post

Preterist

The problem with that belief is that there are people walking around live today, who have died and been brought back to life...
One example: Ian McCormack - Heaven Hell and the Box Jellyfish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity