Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Because a president does not legislate law from the white house. He can't say "I'm against abortion, therefore from now on there will be no abortion".
I'm wondering what he could have done with the massive amount of "Executive Orders" he signed.

Executive Orders Issued by President George W. Bush (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/orders/ - broken link)

Ten Bush Executive Orders to Toss « Solar Kismet (http://solarkismet.wordpress.com/2008/09/25/ten-bush-executive-orders-to-toss/ - broken link)

Obama Would Order Review Of Bush's Executive Orders

And this final link is a fun one..

Look at all the executive orders before "W".. then look at the number that "W" signed. Disgusting is a word that comes to mind. Abuse of power are a couple more..

List of United States federal executive orders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
I'm pretty sure the deregulation train started with Reagan. he deregulated the airlines and it has been a slippery slope ever since.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
The airlines didnt bring down this economy.

It was the mortgages that did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I'm pretty sure the deregulation train started with Reagan. he deregulated the airlines and it has been a slippery slope ever since.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
What you're saying isn't biblical.

Everyone will respond for their actions, and her daughter is of age to answer to God for her faults.

We are to embrace the people but shun the sins.

Again....if you're going to speak concerning Christians then you should learn what the bible teaches not what someone does.

Obama calls himself a Christian yet he believes there is more than one path to heaven. That's called heresy.

BTW - You say deregulation is Republican thing...are you saying Bill Clinton is a Republican?
Huh? I wasn't trying to say anything Biblical. I was just pointing out the hypocricy I often see in Evangelical/far right Christians and the hypocricy in Sarah Palin.

I'm not concerned with your interpretation of the Bible or your narrow religious view. I don't care what Obama's personal religious views are either since he doesn't seem to want to impose them on the nation, as opposed to Caribou Barbie.

Yes, it's a Republican thing. Bill Clinton (god, are you people going to keep blaming him until we're all long gone and cold in our graves?) tossed a couple bones as a centrist to the Republicans, and I disagree with him on that (especially the telecom Act). But if you're trying to turn the tables and claim all the deregulation bombs that have blown up on us (like the electricity market - Enron ripping off California) are all attributed to Democrats, that's laughable.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
Hypocritical about what?

That her daughter got pregnant? How is that hypocritical?
If she locked her up in the house, then you would still call her crazy.

Are you that blind that you're blaming everything ELSE except for Mortgages?
Do you know that mortgage issues is what brought down our economy?

It wasn't the telecom or the airlines or cheese factory....

It was the m o r t g a g e s.

Who signed the deregulation act to allow banks to offer these new exotic mortgages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Huh? I wasn't trying to say anything Biblical. I was just pointing out the hypocricy I often see in Evangelical/far right Christians and the hypocricy in Sarah Palin.

I'm not concerned with your interpretation of the Bible or your narrow religious view. I don't care what Obama's personal religious views are either since he doesn't seem to want to impose them on the nation, as opposed to Caribou Barbie.

Yes, it's a Republican thing. Bill Clinton (god, are you people going to keep blaming him until we're all long gone and cold in our graves?) tossed a couple bones as a centrist to the Republicans, and I disagree with him on that (especially the telecom Act). But if you're trying to turn the tables and claim all the deregulation bombs that have blown up on us (like the electricity market - Enron ripping off California) are all attributed to Democrats, that's laughable.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Saying mortgage issues is what brought down our economy is similar to saying a child wanting candy and getting it from his parents is the childs fault.

Exotic mortgages are nothing new. Sub prime mortgages are nothing new. Mortgage backed securities are nothing new. What allowed this to happen was the Commodities Modernization Act which banned regulation of Credit Default Swaps. Thus the faux insurance could be issued on Mortgage Backed Securities thus more money is poured into real estate (because everyone thought they were covered even though they knew full well they weren't) thus mortgage underwriters were practically giving away loans.

Mortgages being the "cause" is very skewed logic. Deregulation of the swaps guaranteed failure.

Oh and to keep it on topic: Womens health is a concern for me.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM

275 posts, read 687,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am sorry whoever gets mad, I really don't care but if you are Christian who is voting for Obama. Shame on you!

"The first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. That's the first thing that I'd do." -- Senator Barack Obama, speaking to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, July 17, 2007

"Freedom of Choice Act" Index Page (http://www.nrlc.org/foca/index.html - broken link)

Just to name a few. The Freedom of Choice Act forces doctors who are pro life to perform abortions (even though they say, it won't). The "Freedom of Choice Act" will overturn virtually all federal and state ... laws on abortion, provide unlimited tax funding of abortion. ...

I am praying everyday that God judge America and bring justice to the millions that have been slaughtered. I pray that the economy crashes beyond any hope of recovering so that a revival can come about.
Even if you where the president tomorrow. you know freedom of act is equivalent to free will and God gave us free will to choose his path or the devils'. abortion is indeed murder and pregnancy is a risk depending on your life circumstances. i personally am against it but what else can you do, accept the world's decision but stay adhered to the dreams of your life. that is introducing Christianity to those that are lost in darkness. Amen

Last edited by jackdonekings; 10-21-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
The airlines didnt bring down this economy.

It was the mortgages that did.
I never said the airlines caused it. I said that was the beginning of the deregulation train. Later the mortgage/ banking industries were deregulated to a large extent.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hypocritical about what?

That her daughter got pregnant? How is that hypocritical?
If she locked her up in the house, then you would still call her crazy.

Are you that blind that you're blaming everything ELSE except for Mortgages?
Do you know that mortgage issues is what brought down our economy?

It wasn't the telecom or the airlines or cheese factory....

It was the m o r t g a g e s.

Who signed the deregulation act to allow banks to offer these new exotic mortgages?
I know they weren't recruiting people with cash only incomes and no credit history (i.e., illegal immigrants) for mortgages until around 2003. From what I can see, it wasn't until then that people who couldn't afford homes were sucked into crazy mortgages they didn't understand. That's on Bush's watch. This economy had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel the past few years. If not mortgages, something else would have brought it down, like China recalling our debt.

She's a hypocrite plain and simple. I grew up around Christians and none of the girls I knew in high school got pregnant. It's also hypocritical for the Evangelicals to easily forgive Mooselini's daughter for getting knocked up (Oh, it's just one of those things that happens in families), yet a gay person living a clean, respectable life needs to be treated like a 3rd class citizen.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I never said the airlines caused it. I said that was the beginning of the deregulation train. Later the mortgage/ banking industries were deregulated to a large extent.
Exactly! It started with Reagan's dillusion that corporations she be able to do as they please at society's expense and went downhill from there. The magical "free market" that just fixes everything. Just think if the Republicans got their way and privatized Social Security - where would we all be now with the stock market where it's at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity