U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Does establishment of a 'gay'-friendly school constitute endorsement of an immoral lifestyle?
Yes 32 45.07%
No 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM
 
7,789 posts, read 10,466,860 times
Reputation: 3392

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post


I'm not picking on you June


June knows you aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

The ironic thing is how the atheists on this forum seem to think it's their duty to reinterpret Scripture and force their interpretation on Christians.

My goodness. Now that's ^ a first.

Heaven forbid an atheist should read the Bible? (Huh?) Correct June if she's wrong, but isn't that what you all are always encouraging us to do? --By the way, whose interpretation is the "right" one? June is really curious. Especially given the fact that self-professed Christians seem to argue endlessly around interpretation of Scripture...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post


But remember what Jesus after this to the audultrous woman, "Go and sin no more".

Exactly.

If June recalls it correctly, He didn't tell her she was bad, evil, or even for that matter, unworthy of His love. He didn't reject her. He didn't even judge her, from what June can tell. (But then again, what would June know?) June isn't exactly big on sin, for obvious "not knowing" reasons. But insomuch as June thinks about things, June would be somewhat inclined to think of sin along these lines: That "sin" does not equal, does not equate to our judgement of others. (Which June would wonder to be a sin in and of itself...) June would think of turning it back onto herself, as that somehow implies personal responsibility. June would be more worried about her own "sins" as let's face it, those would truly be the only ones she could control. Or should worry about. June would simply do the best she could to not sin, but she would strive to forgive herself (as she would alledgedly be believing that God already had forgiven her) and as such, she would lean strongly towards being as forgiving of others.


There you have it.

Another atheist reinterpretation of Scripture. For what it's worth.

Hey, it's only a post.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-20-2008 at 03:49 AM..

 
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,646,596 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Heaven forbid an atheist should read the Bible? (Huh?) Correct June if she's wrong, but isn't that what you all are always encouraging us to do? --By the way, whose interpretation is the "right" one? June is really curious. Especially given the fact that self-professed Christians seem to argue endlessly around interpretation of Scripture...
Atheists read the Bible in order to skew it to use it as ammo to attack Christians, like you are doing right now. Yes, you should read the Bible if you are genuinely interested in what it says and want to learn more about it, but don't create some skewed interpretation based on your atheist belief and try to force it on Christians because its not happening. On some issues like creation, Daniel, and Revelation, it is open to much interpretation, but on homosexuality, adultery, and fornication the Bible is very clear.
 
Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
396 posts, read 732,233 times
Reputation: 107
Here's a question....How many of you use Birth Control? And I mean ANY FORM of Birth Control other than abstinence (other than for medical reasons) including using the "rhythm method?" If you are using birth control, then you are going against the Bible as you are not allowing for the possibility of having a child. That would be wasting your seeds. So, once again...please remove the plank from your own eye.
 
Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,469 posts, read 21,245,287 times
Reputation: 17692
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

If June recalls it correctly, He didn't tell her she was bad, evil, or even for that matter, unworthy of His love. He didn't reject her. He didn't even judge her, from what June can tell.
Hmm, it is my opinion that June reads the bible exactly as I do..as it is written, not as I would write it..In other words, my dear brothers and sisters, she said what He said..
John 10:11
10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
11"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin..



Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Atheists read the Bible in order to skew it to use it as ammo to attack Christians, like you are doing right now. Yes, you should read the Bible if you are genuinely interested in what it says and want to learn more about it, but don't create some skewed interpretation based on your atheist belief and try to force it on Christians because it
..June has no reason to defend any manmade religions, based on mans false interpretations to feed her pride..She reads it and understands what it says ..And Jesus said this

John 8:15
15You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one.

One good piece of advice from Christ, dontcha think
 
Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Status: "Because He first loved me..." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Bronx, NY
1,320 posts, read 2,731,772 times
Reputation: 676
Let me ask this question: when our children, loved one or friend is doing something you know would be a mistake for them to do and could lead to trouble, are we not making a judgment? Here is a partial definition of judgment: the process of forming an opinion or evaluation by discerning and comparing b: an opinion or estimate so formed. You are judging them and what they are about to do in order to protect them from harm or danger. Everyone has on opinion, right?

When you see a person on the street asking for money; someone on the street who looks different because of a birth defect; or someone who acts a little differently than others, what are you doing when you try to steer away from them? Is that not a judgment? Maybe we don't think about it but we do it all the time.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, God calls us not to judge others from the standpoint of US determing whether or not someone is going to spend eternity in heaven or in hell because that is not OUR call to make. However, we do have to determine when someone is doing something that is wrong by a set of standards. And like Jesus did, we must do everything with a heart of love and compassion. The problem is, the moral standards of our country are changing and so are the opinions regarding them. So what used to be unacceptable now is becoming the norm. Hence, we encounter differing opinions on what is right and wrong. Blessings.

Last edited by urbanlemur; 10-19-2008 at 07:03 AM..
 
Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 AM
 
7,789 posts, read 10,466,860 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post


but don't create some skewed interpretation based on your atheist belief and try to force it on Christians because its not happening.

You're right. It's not happening. It's not happening because that was not, is not, and would never be June's intention.

That was your assumption as regards June's intention.


There's a difference between the two, and to assume that June would be anything less than sincere in anything she wrote would be a faulty assumption on your part. What is so utterly ironic about this thread, and your comment to me, bchris02, is that June had engaged in a conversation with someone at work the week before. She had a discussion with a Minister who just so happens to be one of her interns. June had asked him a question. In the course of talking with him, June had said: "But when Jesus admonished people for sinning, saying that he who is without sin should cast the first stone, he didn't then turn to the woman in question with anger, or proceed to judge her or reject her. He simply told her to go and sin no more." (We had been talking about the differences between the OT and the NT...)

-Funny. It worked for the Minister. ("Worked" meaning it resonated with him.) It wasn't about his agreeing with me. It wasn't about his validating my thought process, understanding, or interpretation of that passage. (Although he did...) It was about the fact that we had a really interesting conversation. A dialogue.

Which is all June is trying to do here. -Yet all the while wondering why the woman in the Bible passage would have appeared to have gotten off a whole lot easier. Jesus didn't assume anything; He didn't judge her...



Take gentle care...

Last edited by june 7th; 10-19-2008 at 08:50 AM..
 
Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,481,031 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote: "Jesus didn't assume anything; He didn't judge her... "

Dear June, He said "go and sin no more", therefore He said she had been sinning....
Now-a-days, if we say some one is sinning we are accused of 'judging'!

Why are we accused of judging, but you say Jesus was not judging her???

 
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: In Sticky San Antonio TX
1,401 posts, read 2,459,549 times
Reputation: 1671
June 7th, your patience with bigotry and prejudice alternately amazes and humors me. I would guess, all things considered, that is the greatest irony of your posting in this forum, eh? I do appreciate all you say and do in the midst of personal attacks due to your professed 'absence of faith.' But I would also add, you are closer to the kingdom of G-d than many b/c of your sincere searching, curiosity, and wonder. Bravo!
 
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
 
7,789 posts, read 10,466,860 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
June 7th, your patience with bigotry and prejudice alternately amazes and humors me. I would guess, all things considered, that is the greatest irony of your posting in this forum, eh? I do appreciate all you say and do in the midst of personal attacks due to your professed 'absence of faith.' But I would also add, you are closer to the kingdom of G-d than many b/c of your sincere searching, curiosity, and wonder. Bravo!
June: speechless.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,575,463 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Atheists read the Bible in order to skew it to use it as ammo to attack Christians, like you are doing right now. Yes, you should read the Bible if you are genuinely interested in what it says and want to learn more about it, but don't create some skewed interpretation based on your atheist belief and try to force it on Christians because its not happening. On some issues like creation, Daniel, and Revelation, it is open to much interpretation, but on homosexuality, adultery, and fornication the Bible is very clear.
If it were very clear, then all churches would agree. But they don't, and it's not.

I think it's very clear that some Christians use the Bible to legitimize their dislike/hatred of gay people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top