U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does establishment of a 'gay'-friendly school constitute endorsement of an immoral lifestyle?
Yes 32 45.07%
No 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Being gay and a Christian is not possible. You are either one or the other.
Apparently that's going hand and hand with being Christian and a good, loving person. You and the Christians I grew up with exemplified this quality perfectly.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,775,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Apparently that's going hand and hand with being Christian and a good, loving person. You and the Christians I grew up with exemplified this quality perfectly.
Bless your heart! Thank you.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,088,418 times
I don't think it's a good idea. Isolating gay kids from the general population may protect them from the hate some kids learn in the short term, but it prevents contact and exposure which results in understanding. Segregation promotes bigotry! Western society is at a great moment when knowledge is trumping prejudice and hatred and I feel this would be a step backwards, not forwards.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,212,863 times
I think that is really strange!!!! You are in school to learn. If there are other issues then you deal with those with education, teaching tolerance and understanding with special programs. You certainly don't build a school around those differences. Then we will need an overweight school for young people who don't feel they are accepted for who they are...and a special school for children of divorce...you just can't cater to every need and group. You have to deal with these issues in other ways....
Being in education on the university level...there are many more important issues that need to be taken care of first...like just education so we can keep up with the rest of the world!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:07 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,163,731 times
Quote:
Being gay and a Christian is not possible. You are either one or the other.
You are so wrong. Who are you to judge anyway? It is your people of your mindset that give Christians a bad name. I'd like to think of Christian people as accepting people who love unconditionally. You are a Christian in title only, in my book. Sad!

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,212,863 times
I don't agree with the statement that you can't be gay and be a Christian at the same time. I don't believe that is God's design or God's best in His plan but I also think sin is sin. I have several gay friends who are definately Christians. They struggle in their walk and God is teaching and loving them in their journey. I have one friend who is gay and he feels that God does not want him to act on those feelings and is growing as a believer but he is still gay. I think you love them through their journey and it is not up to me to judge how they feel and how they feel God has made them. We all struggle in areas of our lives. God doesn't see one sin as worse than another...as humans we sure seem to.
I think I used to be more judgement when I was a new Christian. I think Love has to win out with how I treat people. I pray for my friends that God leads them in what I think the truth of the Word is saying about these issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 PM

2,668 posts, read 3,551,060 times
Quote:
You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, as we all are. I guess it does sounds nicer to include gays into the fold of the church. I guess that is more loving than considering it to be sin. Sin is such a mean, vile and antiquated word.
Is your church free of sinners?I wasnt aware such a church existed.Heterosexual high school students who are sexually active are also committing sin,are they not?I would think you would favor segregating homosexual students from heterosexual ones.I would assume that the vast majority of sexual activity isnt occuring "in" the school regardless.I personally oppose segregated schools of any flavor,people have to learn to live with 'all'types of people,not just those they agree with on all levels.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM

396 posts, read 730,494 times
Oh great, here we go again.
Anyways, I don't really agree with the concept. Segregation is definitely a bad thing. At the same time, bigotry is a bad thing as well. On one hand, you've got the possibility of keeping these kids safe (both physically and mentally) from people like Russell Henderson and Aaron McKinney (the 2 that plead guilty to the murder of Matthew Shepard), but on the other hand, I'm not sure it prepairs these kids for real life in the real world.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 AM

7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Quote:

It sounds more like your advocating tolerance. What would Jesus say about a school that promotes sin?

"He who is without sin cast the first stone?"

Just an "off-the-top-of-her-heathen-head" idyll passing thought...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:25 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,726,544 times
A lot of us tend to quote the phrase that "we should not judge" but how many of us do it every day? Of course we do. We make judgment calls throughout our day: who are the ones that choose not to talk to that person in the office because they might be a little "off"; who are the ones that see the phone number of that certain "person" and decide that they don't want to talk to them because of a prior incident; who are the ones that shift away from the person that looks a little "odd" on the train or bus and you're afraid to be around them? God did not say "judge not lest ye be judged" in the sense that we are not to make decisions throughout the day that require thought; He means this in the sense that we are not to condemn someone to hell for any reason. So far, I have not heard anyone hear condemning gays to hell for their lifestyle. What I have heard are folks who do not agree with their lifestyle yet do as the Lord commanded and do love them regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or