U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does establishment of a 'gay'-friendly school constitute endorsement of an immoral lifestyle?
Yes 32 45.07%
No 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,671,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I didn't necessarily direct this comment toward you personally (sorry if you read it that way), but I have received a large number of hateful comments after having merely expressed what the Bible says about this issue here in in other forums.
Tell me. what do you consider a hateful comment? Could it be similar to the comment I've heard numerous Christians say..." Homosexuals are an abomination" Hard to think of anything more hateful than that phrase isn't it?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I find it ironic too.
The ironic thing is how the atheists on this forum seem to think it's their duty to reinterpret Scripture and force their interpretation on Christians.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,726,795 times
Quote:
Tell me. what do you consider a hateful comment? Could it be similar to the comment I've heard numerous Christians say..." Homosexuals are an abomination" Hard to think of anything more hateful than that phrase isn't it?
Not all Christians say those things even though it is in the Bible. A lot of them show a considerable amount of love and compassion towards gay people, but I guess it makes more sense to go after the vocal ones and forget the compassionate ones that are out there too.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
BTW, they are not MY implications.....it is what is written in the Bible.
Quote me the book, chapter, and verses where Jesus says homosexuality is a sin, please.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:46 PM

You know there isn't one but why do you put everything on just what Jesus said? There are certainly more books contained in the Bible than just the four written about Him. You cannot just accept what He says and not consider the other words that God has spoken or have you forgotten that God and Jesus are one and the same?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The ironic thing is how the atheists on this forum seem to think it's their duty to reinterpret Scripture and force their interpretation on Christians.
I'm doing no such thing. I'm merely using arguments used by others to refute their own comments. If you can show me in the Bible where Jesus says homosexuality is a sin, then good on ya.

However, if all you can come up with is Leviticus (which is OT and which MOST xtians seem to agree is overwritten by the NT, and which condemns eaters of seafood to death too) or the comment by Paul, who had some really weird ideas that most of ya'll don't follow anyway, then don't bother trying to justify homosexual condemnation.

Your Jesus loved and accepted everyone. I'm betting he would absolutely decry the actions of anyone persecuting someone who is homosexual. All this school is for is to make these children feel like they can learn in a non-hazardous environment.

If YOUR child were gay, wouldn't you still want them to feel safe, even if you didn't agree with their sexual orientation? This school will be no different than others -- it's not going to condone open acts of sexual display. All it does it make sure that this minority will feel protected while they exercise their rights to a public education.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM

30,037 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Quote:
Not all Christians say those things even though it is in the Bible. A lot of them show a considerable amount of love and compassion towards gay people, but I guess it makes more sense to go after the vocal ones and forget the compassionate ones that are out there too.
You didn't answer my question...You said that you have received a large number of hateful comments regarding this issue...Can you give me an example of what you consider a hateful comment directed at you?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:55 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I think that is really strange!!!! You are in school to learn. If there are other issues then you deal with those with education, teaching tolerance and understanding with special programs. You certainly don't build a school around those differences. Then we will need an overweight school for young people who don't feel they are accepted for who they are...and a special school for children of divorce...you just can't cater to every need and group. You have to deal with these issues in other ways....
Being in education on the university level...there are many more important issues that need to be taken care of first...like just education so we can keep up with the rest of the world!
Phx. Az. has a school for homeless children. I think that is a group of children that have their own needs.

While some of you want to see kids intergrated, at the same time you see homeschooling for religious reasons as a positive thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Your Jesus loved and accepted everyone. I'm betting he would absolutely decry the actions of anyone persecuting someone who is homosexual.
He did accept others but He also called everyone to repentance. This means that they were to give up their sinful life and follow Him.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:00 PM

I have been called bigoted, hateful, homophobic and other words I cannot mention here. But that's ok, I take it with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or