U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,095,994 times

Advertisements

that's not quoting anything. It's about 13 chapters which means I need to read it..which may take hours/days...and then post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Um...she said Corinthians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 AM

It's the point that baptism wasn't required when one parent is saved.

Please show me in the bible where it states that children/infants should be or were baptized...

It is manmade, and if it was that important than I'm sure someone would've written about it in the Old Testament or the New Testament

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
This is the only thing I can find in Paul. This was in a specific context of a convert living with someone who is not a believer - the fact that one parent does not believe does not curse the relationship or the children.............are we between the lines that this refers specifically to baptism? It is the only thing even remotely rebutting this in the works of Paul.

13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 AM

396 posts, read 730,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
that's not quoting anything. It's about 13 chapters which means I need to read it..which may take hours/days...and then post back.
The only thing that comes to mind is "The Pot calling the Kettle black." Telling people that they need to read the bible and take it literally, then saying something like that? I think I'm even more confused than before. The sun is way to high in the sky for this...time to go to bed. *Walks away shaking her head*

Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 AM

I try to cite as much as possible...especially when someone ask for it

I would expect the same courtesy so we can all stay on the same page.

Quote:
The only thing that comes to mind is "The Pot calling the Kettle black." Telling people that they need to read the bible and take it literally, then saying something like that? I think I'm even more confused than before.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,466,667 times
Quote:
Baptisms were done way before Jesus was around.

Jews use to baptize before that. They would never do it with infants or young children. That was later invented way after Jesus, but NOT by Jesus or His disciples
You are absolutely right about baptisms being done before Jesus, but they were not for the remission of sins; they did not put anyone into Christ; they did not put anyone into the church; they did not gave anyone the giff of the Holy Spirit ( the earnest of one's inheritance).

You are also right about infant baptism.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,405,273 times
Quote:
I 'think' that Episcopals, Methodist, Lutherans, etc were branches from the Catholic church.
I'm not sure about all, but most of it came from the Catholic church.
Most of them had some significant differences with the Roman Catholic church and split because those differences were not resoloved I cannot speak for the others but Lutherans still confess ONE catholic church, and that means universal - not THE Roman church. The practices to which I refer PRECEDED the Roman Church.

The anabaptists, etc. all precursors of today's fundamentalists ALSO split off from the Roman Church about the same time and took a very different path.

I think those of us who are frustrated by the fundamentalists is because we believe many views bring a richness and diversity to our faith and our arm does not offend us but that same arm is slapping us in the face telling the body that it is all wrong and only the arm is of value.

I do NOT challenge or judge your faith but who are YOU to challenge and judge mine?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,449,783 times
Quote:
Your statements here just reinforce my intolerance of fundie bible thumpers that try to shove their brand of Christianity down my throat.I have seen such hatred and closed mindedness on this board that it makes me sick.
Come on dude, "hatred and close mindedness". That is a worldly way of attacking the true doctrine of Christianity, they would probably accuse Jesus of the same if He were here. Have Christians tried to kill you, harm you in some physical manner, have we cussed at you, said, we hated you, forced you to convert with a gun to your head? Are we close minded because we believe or what we know and actually have the audacity in a world where it is uncool to say, what you know or that you ONLY have the truth?

Quote:
Take 100 people in the world, and they will each have their own beliefs and will most certainly think that their brand of Christianity is the right way. I honestly am sorry that many non-believers read this board as I'm sure it has turned people away from God.
God is working on those many non-believers searching for the answer at the same time "Christian hypocrites" is still not an excuse of on the day of judgment. as far as the 100 people in the world with different beliefs, most of those are non essentials like speaking in tongues but that Jesus IS THE ONLY WAY is the true foundation of Christianity and any other teaching is heresy.

Quote:
It is time to wash my hands of you (as others have done). I pray that some day you realize that by adopting an 'elitist' attitude, you are doing more harm than good. I pray that some day you will see the light. I will no longer respond to you or your posts. Have a nice day.
The bible says, that the gate to hell is wide and the gate to heaven is narrow. Follow what the scripture says, not your heart the bible says, the heart is wicked and deceitful who could know it. Don't create a God that suits your needs, wants and expectations. Follow only the God of the bible otherwise you are just creating a false idol/ image.

Just by your anger alone tells me your walk with the Lord is not right. I pray that you find the one true God.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,303,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
When my children feel that I am not listening to them, sometimes they yell...PLEASE POINT US TO THE SCRIPTURE THAT EXPLAINS HOW A PERSON IS TO GO ABOUT BEING "BORN AGAIN".

Thank you...

<><
OK, let's work on this one ^... or maybe I should go find the exact scripture since that seems to be your latest mode of defense.

Quote:
1. I'm not the one who needs to prove that it is valid. You and Granny have yet to prove that it IS valid. Are you saying now that since it's NOT in the bible that it makes it valid now?

2. This thread isn't about me.
Now, as to the above, I do not have time to go back and read over this entire thread that started out with "not all Christians are going to Heaven", but I am pretty sure that somewhere within the last, what is it?, 15 pages, YOU are the one who said that a person must be baptised as an adult for it to be valid. That, I believe, is what started this entire convo about infant baptism. However, I am going to leave this one alone, because I feel satisfied that you have no answer.

And as to #2, I was only hoping that if we understood what faith/religion that you practice, it might give us/me a better understanding of where your beliefs lie. It was meant as nothing more than a desire to "understand". For instance, I am a practicing Catholic. I think that if you are armed with that knowledge, you can then understand me and my faith a little better.

Thank you. I will await the biblical scripture that will give me complete instruction on how I am to be "born again".

(BIGT...are you out there? I was hoping that you could post or at least DM me that youtube video with the donkey on the couch. I think you know the one.)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM

I'm challenging beliefs about infant baptism to say it will gain entry to Heaven.

Whether you did it or not is your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Most of them had some significant differences with the Roman Catholic church and split because those differences were not resoloved I cannot speak for the others but Lutherans still confess ONE catholic church, and that means universal - not THE Roman church. The practices to which I refer PRECEDED the Roman Church.

The anabaptists, etc. all precursors of today's fundamentalists ALSO split off from the Roman Church about the same time and took a very different path.

I think those of us who are frustrated by the fundamentalists is because we believe many views bring a richness and diversity to our faith and our arm does not offend us but that same arm is slapping us in the face telling the body that it is all wrong and only the arm is of value.

I do NOT challenge or judge your faith but who are YOU to challenge and judge mine?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM

Born again means to be baptized.

There are 3 that give record on this earth, and 3 in Heaven

blood, water, spirit.

Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Blood of Jesus, Water Baptism, and the seal of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, let's work on this one ^... or maybe I should go find the exact scripture since that seems to be your latest mode of defense.

Now, as to the above, I do not have time to go back and read over this entire thread that started out with "not all Christians are going to Heaven", but I am pretty sure that somewhere within the last, what is it?, 15 pages, YOU are the one who said that a person must be baptised as an adult for it to be valid. That, I believe, is what started this entire convo about infant baptism. However, I am going to leave this one alone, because I feel satisfied that you have no answer.

And as to #2, I was only hoping that if we understood what faith/religion that you practice, it might give us/me a better understanding of where your beliefs lie. It was meant as nothing more than a desire to "understand". For instance, I am a practicing Catholic. I think that if you are armed with that knowledge, you can then understand me and my faith a little better.

Thank you. I will await the biblical scripture that will give me complete instruction on how I am to be "born again".

(BIGT...are you out there? I was hoping that you could post or at least DM me that youtube video with the donkey on the couch. I think you know the one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or