U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 29,590,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Why would Jesus say Repent AND be baptized?

BTW - the thief on the cross was before the new covenant
Because it symbolizes washing away our sins, it's the start of a new life in Jesus, Jesus was baptized and He should didn't need to be. Baptism is important because He commanded us to, but there is no saving power it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,116,995 times
There are many verses that state otherwise.

There were many people that asked....

What must I do to be saved....

Repent AND be Baptized.

Where is the power in that?
So if there is no power in Baptism...then there's no power in Repenting as both requires US to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Because it symbolizes washing away our sins, it's the start of a new life in Jesus, Jesus was baptized and He should didn't need to be. Baptism is important because He commanded us to, but there is no saving power it in.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,002,228 times
Baptism is simply a symbol of the dedication we make to God in our heart. An outward manifestation of an inward quality. Without making the dedication first in our hearts, the physical act of baptism means nothing.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM

So if we never get baptized after being a Christian for 20-30 years...we're still going to Heaven?

I'm asking everyone as some dont believe that all are going to Heaven.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,438,522 times
Because he was talking to ADULTS who had not already BEEN Baptized by the Holy Spirit!

Some adults were re-baptized who had been baptized by John, but the Holy Spirit only descended up Jesus at that previous baptism.

Baptism is a requirement but it alone does not confer salvation.

-----------------------

Entire households were baptized

1 Cor 1:16 I (Paul) baptized the household of Stephanas also ... Acts 11:13-14 He related to us how he had seen (the) angel standing in his house, saying, 'Send someone to Joppa and summon Simon, who is called Peter, who will speak words to you by which you and all your household will be saved.' Acts 16:15 After she (Lydia of Thyatira) and her household had been baptized, she offered us an invitation... Acts 16:30-32 Then he (the jailer) brought them (Paul and Silas) out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved." So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house. Acts 18:8 Crispus, the synagogue official, came to believe in the Lord along with his entire household.

To the Colossians, Paul compared baptism to circumcision.

Col 2:11-12 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not administered by hand, by stripping off the carnal body, with the circumcision of Christ. You were buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.
In Mark's Gospel, there is Jesus' own teaching on children.

Mk 10:13-16 And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." ... Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them

And more importantly!
Jn 3:5 Jesus answered (Nicodemus), "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit." Jesus did not say here, but, oh by the way, children are protected by their parents faith - that may have been a jewish converstion construct, but where is that in the new testament?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I was speaking of water baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Because he was talking to ADULTS who had not already BEEN Baptized by the Holy Spirit!

Some adults were re-baptized who had been baptized by John, but the Holy Spirit only descended up Jesus at that previous baptism.

Baptism is a requirement but it alone does not confer salvation.

-----------------------

Entire households were baptized

1 Cor 1:16 I (Paul) baptized the household of Stephanas also ... Acts 11:13-14 He related to us how he had seen (the) angel standing in his house, saying, 'Send someone to Joppa and summon Simon, who is called Peter, who will speak words to you by which you and all your household will be saved.' Acts 16:15 After she (Lydia of Thyatira) and her household had been baptized, she offered us an invitation... Acts 16:30-32 Then he (the jailer) brought them (Paul and Silas) out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your household will be saved." So they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to everyone in his house. Acts 18:8 Crispus, the synagogue official, came to believe in the Lord along with his entire household.
To the Colossians, Paul compared baptism to circumcision.

Col 2:11-12 In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not administered by hand, by stripping off the carnal body, with the circumcision of Christ. You were buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.
In Mark's Gospel, there is Jesus' own teaching on children. Mk 10:13-16 And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." ... Then he embraced them and blessed them, placing his hands on them

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

21,430 posts, read 29,590,927 times
Quote:
So if we never get baptized after being a Christian for 20-30 years...we're still going to Heaven?

If we asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins and become our Lord an Savior then YES, that is how a person gets to Heaven, through Jesus, not through baptism.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,002,228 times
Quote:

I think 'unbaptized Christian' is kind of an oxymoron. I don't think a person who has no desire to symbolize their dedication to God thru water baptism could truly call himself a Christian. Do you?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM

What you're stating is the first step of repentance.

When they asked him what must I do to be SAVED

He didnt say "ask for forgiveness, and make Me your Lord and Savior."

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If we asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins and become our Lord an Savior then YES, that is how a person gets to Heaven, through Jesus, not through baptism.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Isn't water baptism part of repentance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Baptism is simply a symbol of the dedication we make to God in our heart. An outward manifestation of an inward quality. Without making the dedication first in our hearts, the physical act of baptism means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or