U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
 
140 posts, read 403,329 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have used the NASB for most of my 42 years of being in Christ. I am now using the NKJV. I have at least 5 more translations/versions, including the NIV. I will never use the NIV as the final word on any scripture. It is very definitely biased.

I also use the Young's Analytical Concordance, and The Analytical Greek Lexicon by Zondervan.

Now, all of us with a computer, can research all versions/translations, and compare them.
Correct, and good for you for being so proactive in your study of the Bible. I (not mocking here, in all seriousness) can only hope to become so well informed. I do feel though, that we are still left, as humans, to interperate the Bible as we read, regardless the translation, and that still leaves room for error.

I think that the best thing all of us can do is to first believe that the Bible is the inspired written infalliable word of God. We need to stop saying that we believe bits and pieces, but not other parts. I agree that this can be difficult, some things are SO difficult to understand or think are "fair" or "loving" in a way that we think they should be. We need to then realize that we are NOT God, that we DON'T have the omniscent view He does, so our thoughts and feelings, though we may not believe they are, are biased based on our upbringing or our society and understanding of humanity. HE knows things we don't and will never know.

Start reading, keep studying, and never claim to have it nailed!!! Yes, there are parts of the Bible I have studied and understand quite well, and I'm happy to share what my understanding is, but NO I don't have all the answers or understand completely everything in the Bible.

My opinion on where churches and teachings are going in a dangerous direction, are the churches that base ALL of their teachings on books written by people. Yes, those people have studied the Bible, but as noted before, they have made their own interpretation, and this leaves SO much room for error and can lead to spinning a Bible passage into a particular context that fits the purpose of their book, not God's book. I'm not saying ALL Christian books are bad, and I'm not saying that if your church occasionally uses one of those as a resource in studying the Bible. I just think we need to read them in an appropriate context and take them back to Scripture for comparison. Why are so many churches putting their trust in so many top selling authors? Granted, some of them are pastors, but of what theology? Just questioning. Sometimes the Christian community is so trusting of anything that says it's "Christian". I have been to churches where the sermon series goes from one book to the next with no Bible in between, or even referenced. Seems more like a book club to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,481,031 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Good thing you don't bet, because you would be wrong, it's the New Living Translation. But remember, God is not the author of confusion.

That is one I do not have. I believe I will pass on it.

Please do not think that God authored every man's translation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 451,499 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I want to offer you my sincere complements. I did not have sex before marriage either and am happy every day that I made that decision. My husband was a virgin as well. We are very happy and still enjoy each other very much. Satisfying sex? We've never known anything else because we love each other wholeheartedly and have no 'baggage' to bog down our relationship. We have three children together and are instilling the same morals and principals that were taught to us in our scriptural upbringing.
Sounds just like my own dear, late Christian parents, Alice.

I guess their love life was also satisfactory, or at least they had five of us children, and never parted.

Three children, you say? - I suggest you start praying that none of them grows up to be gay - unless you think you are immune to such a possibility, just as my mother did until I came along. Or this may be the case if you have grandchildren.

Would you find it in your heart to love and support such a child, to protect him or her against the cruel barbs hurled by unsympathetic members of your family, church and community? And I mean, really protect, which would mean telling the bigots where to get off? Would you be ready with the reassurance that this child is as good as anybody else? ...I can only hope so.

Hubris, Alice, is the right word for your complacency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,211 posts, read 2,308,683 times
Reputation: 22421
[quote=brianrees;5792026]
Quote:
I totally respect your personal decisions in this matter, if it is the kind of life you choose for yourself, I really do.

However, my psychological training prompts me to be a little concerned at what you are inflicting on yourself in the name of your faith.
Your psychological training has no worth or value in the kingdom of God. My IQ is 160...what's yours? See how petty and meaningless that is? What you perceive as a non-Christian is distorted by the forces of darkness, whether you acknowledge that or not. And btw, I inflicted WAY more harmful things on myself living for myself rather than God. I have peace that you do not have and I know this because I have been where you are.
Quote:
I don't really know how to approach this issue without offending your deeply-held convictions, NorthSouth, but to me, you are literally abusing your natural self, and in a very real sense which compromises your health, both mental and physical.
Oh no, I was abusing myself without Christ. My health, mentally and physically is of no comparison to how close I came to death, several times, before Christ. He literally saved my life, as well as saved me from eternal damnation.
Quote:
Self-denial is one thing, but you are carrying this to an extreme, I fear.
Extreme to you because you do not have Christ in your life. I fear for you my friend, no need to fear for me.
Quote:
I don't know, of course, how strong your libido is, but hopefully, sexual expression might not be a very pressing issue for you, and therefore easy to sublimate. I truly hope so for your sake, because even Saint Paul, (himself ambiguous in the sexual sense), advised marriage rather than 'Burn', as he put it.
I bolded what you said here, because this is what the Bible teaches. MARRY if you must, but do not have sex outside of marriage. Libido or my personal desires are not part of the equation. When you serve God and you sincerely want to honor His commandments, then He will help you do so. Nowhere did I say it was easy.

Quote:
I will, therefore adopt that word 'burn' in this context if I may.
Whether we can accept it or not, our whole physiognomy is geared to reproduce. Hormones flood the system day and night, prompting us to pass on our genes. In this sense, Mother Nature is not concerned whether we have a marriage certificate or not, She still drives us to find partners so that the species doesn't die out. (or even partners of our own sex if that is your nature - what is 'abominable' about any couple in love, regardless of gender?).
Interesting. When did homosexuals become able to reproduce? Must have missed that. God said homosexuality is an abomination, I am just the messenger.
Quote:
I guess this all sounds a bit too crude and animalistic for you, but it is still a fact of life, no matter how inconvenient and contrary to your dearest Spiritual aspirations.
Crude, yes. Wrong, yes. In the eyes of God. My aspirations have nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Personally, I can't bring myself to support your view that this sexual limbo is what your God decreed for you in this life. I would have a problem accepting the cruelty of this very idea. No god would want a child of his to burn in this way, it just isn't humane. Nor should you be forced to take on the responsibility of a marriage if you aren't ready for it. Would that be fair to your spouse? No, it would not.
Once again, not my "view". It's the Holy Word of God, the Bible, that teaches this. It's not cruel at all. It's healthy and allows a closer walk with God. If God has another marriage in the picture for me, then that would be great. But I will be content and peaceful either way.

Quote:
Deny and abstain? All I can say is that the sexual urge is not a weakness as you seem to think - it is built into us, and no amount of Bible study or prayer (with respect) is going to make it go away.
Yes, deny and abstain from anything that God says you should. And I am proof positive that there is a perfect amount of Bible study and prayer that will help you deny and abstain.

Quote:
To sum up, all I am trying to say is 'if this works for you - go with it' But please bear in mind that other intelligent men and women may have a different view of how the world id structured, and even if their view doesn't embrace a god figure - EVERBODY around you deserves your respect and tolerance - - and not your harsh condemnation.
Oh yes, I know. Different views and such. Where did I say that I didn't respect others? I am only intolerant of the things that God says we should not do. I am a loving, caring individual that embraces everyone, but I will talk incessantly about what God has done for me. Please show where I was condemning.
Quote:
Responsible sex, whether in or out of marriage, brings much joy to people, and is not of itself harmful, no matter what you may personally believe.
Responsible sex is between one man and one woman in the confines of marriage. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,481,031 times
Reputation: 3755
Supermom, in the congregation that I am a member of we do not study from any book except the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,211 posts, read 2,308,683 times
Reputation: 22421
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I want to offer you my sincere complements. I did not have sex before marriage either and am happy every day that I made that decision. My husband was a virgin as well. We are very happy and still enjoy each other very much. Satisfying sex? We've never known anything else because we love each other wholeheartedly and have no 'baggage' to bog down our relationship. We have three children together and are instilling the same morals and principals that were taught to us in our scriptural upbringing.

It is NOT a mistake or unnatural to choose not to have sex outside of marriage. Sex is only a small part of a relationship and shouldnt be used to simply satisfy a physical need but an emotional one as well. Therefore, my proverbial hat is off to you and everyone like you...'we're a rare breed'.
Thanks Alicenevada!! And my hat is off to you as well, you and your husband have really followed God's commandments and that is extremely commendable.

I'm really appalled that this has become such a foreign concept in this day and age and is seen as "being over-the-top" and "hyper-relgious." Oh how I fear for this nation and the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM
 
140 posts, read 403,329 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Supermom, in the congregation that I am a member of we do not study from any book except the Bible.
Great! Wasn't necessarily directing that at you, just in general response to the original thread topic. I have many friends who have become very involved in the cool book club churches, and I hope and pray that they will find the true Word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
 
140 posts, read 403,329 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Thanks Alicenevada!! And my hat is off to you as well, you and your husband have really followed God's commandments and that is extremely commendable.

I'm really appalled that this has become such a foreign concept in this day and age and is seen as "being over-the-top" and "hyper-relgious." Oh how I fear for this nation and the world.
I say good for both of you. I am a Gen-X-er and I am one who didn't follow God's commands in this area, and unfortunately I can't take it back. I'm not sure if any others out there will back me up on this, but I SEE why God didn't intend it this way. This has caused me many consequences and heartache that would not have otherwise been had I waited. I get it. My choices affected me then, and they affect me even now, as a married Christian mom. I can say it was VERY difficult growing up in the day and age I did and choosing the right path. It's something I struggle with how to teach my own daughters. The only blessing I can find here is that I can use my experience and the negative consequences to hopefully make my children understand WHY God intends what He does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM
 
140 posts, read 403,329 times
Reputation: 58
[quote=Northsouth;5793962][quote=brianrees;5792026]

Interesting. When did homosexuals become able to reproduce? Must have missed that. God said homosexuality is an abomination, I am just the messenger.

quote]

Evolution should start kicking in soon, then homosexuals will be able to reproduce, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,211 posts, read 2,308,683 times
Reputation: 22421
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
I say good for both of you. I am a Gen-X-er and I am one who didn't follow God's commands in this area, and unfortunately I can't take it back. I'm not sure if any others out there will back me up on this, but I SEE why God didn't intend it this way. This has caused me many consequences and heartache that would not have otherwise been had I waited. I get it. My choices affected me then, and they affect me even now, as a married Christian mom. I can say it was VERY difficult growing up in the day and age I did and choosing the right path. It's something I struggle with how to teach my own daughters. The only blessing I can find here is that I can use my experience and the negative consequences to hopefully make my children understand WHY God intends what He does.
Well, don't beat yourself up because I haven't always abstained either. And what you said is SOOOO true. God gives us these commands for a reason and for our own good, not to deny us anything. Oh my goodness how much better my life would have been if I had only heeded God's commands!! It's taken me way longer to forgive myself than it did for God to forgive me. That's the beauty of God's love and acceptance if we will only accept Him. All we have to do is repent and ask for forgiveness, and it's done!! Our sins are scattered from as far as the east is from the west! Hallelujah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Evolution should start kicking in soon, then homosexuals will be able to reproduce, right?
Right!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top