U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,557,405 times
Reputation: 4461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
To me the world is still a beautiful place, I am thankful to Nature for her supreme beauty, I am never happier than when I'm tending my garden, and the friendship of other people brings me as much joy as it does to you.
There is an absence of fathers in your world, I detect. Especially One in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,469,294 times
Reputation: 3755
Quote:
"I have self-respect, work tirelessly for charity, run a home where everyone is made welcome, respect everyone who comes my way, rescue abandoned animals, pay my taxes and have a reputation for being an excellent listener when people are in trouble. But chiefly I have endless time for ALL people. But I never force my views on anybody, finding an open mind to be the best guide in life." End of quote


This post reminds me of the the parable of the two men who went up to the temple to pray. The above quote is very similar to what the Pharisee "prayed with himself"..." God, I thank You that I am not like other men-extortioners,unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all I possess."
And the Tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat on his breast, saying, " God, be merciful to me a sinner!"

Jesus said about the tax collector: " I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he who humbles himself shall be exalted."

Scriptures from the NKJV, Luke 18.11-14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,453,301 times
Reputation: 746
[quote=brianrees;5799541]
Quote:
supermom0204;5794435]
Supermom.

A serious thought for you to ponder on....

The general impression you give is that you define yourself as much by whom you DESPISE as by whom you profess to love. Very sad.

I have followed threads such as this one long enough to realise how important it is for you and and your friends to have a common enemy to take swipes at. In this instance it is gay people, as your cheap remark (above) demonstrates. I don't think you should be proud of such flippant taunts, and I'll you why.

If you ask me, I will send you some harrowing pictures taken recently in Iran which show two innocent-looking teenage boys being roughly hung in a public arena. They look so young, they are barely out of childhood, and the tears on their cheeks show their terror. One of them hadn't even grown into the shoes that were dangling from his feet.

And what was their crime? They were unlucky enough, apparently, to be reported to the religious police for an 'indecent' sexual act together. (not specified). They were 16 and 17 years old!!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that had you been present at such shocking barbarity you might have been forced to re-evaluate your hateful prejudices, and realised where they can lead.

Don't tell me that this was done by a different religion to yours, that makes not the slightest difference to my argument. These children were executed in the name of the SAME god as you worship, the god of the Koran being none other than the god of the Bible, the god of Abraham, if you know anything about your sister faith. The same laws were being acted on.

No doubt you will want to refute this, saying that you don't approve of going so far as to actually murder gay people -- at least I hope you (and your friend NorthSouth) don't.

Therefore, the next time I read this thread, I will be overjoyed too see you have modified your attitude a little, especially as you say you are a mother yourself. All you have to do is put your feet in the shoes of the mothers of the two boys that were so mercilessly dragged away to be hung before their lives had really started. Would you find it in your heart to tell these two traumatised women that it was the WILL OF GOD? -- Probably not. But then, you are only his messenger, as you say.

I rest my case.

ps. With the planet we live on already groaning under the weight of 6 billion people, many of them starving, I feel rather disinclined to apologise for not 'reproducing' - under the circumstances. Evolution has always produced a certain percentage of gay people throughout the centuries, and will continue to do so regularly whether you like it or not, (at least it's a sensible way of population-control).

So I suggest that you stop this pointless fretting over the whole thing, get on with your life, and allow us gay people to get on with ours. We may not swell the population figures, but we do have a unique contribution to make to society, as any less prejudiced person would admit. So to hang or stone us all would only leave the world a drearier place. But then, I suppose you would immediately start looking for some other minority to harass.
You say, Christians attack yet you yourself make insensitive remarks and then claim to be humble. That is not fair. If you want an open dialogue with me since I am the worst breed of our kind, a "fundamentalist" I would welcome you with open arms.

.......by the way, I have had gay friends.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-22-2008 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,100,301 times
Reputation: 1008
I have yet to see someone scorn, mock, or put down anyone here who is living in sin whether it be homosexuality or fornication or lasciviousness.

We are ALLOWED to believe what we want to believe.

To tell us that we're wrong is one thing....to start MOCKING us is bigotry.

BTW - The title is an oxymoron as ALL Christians are going to Heaven.
Those who don't do the will of God are NOT Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 450,970 times
Reputation: 121
Default Why I don't grovel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ah...well I see. You think your a "good" person because you don't see OUR need for forgiveness

(Luke 18-19)
19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good -- except God alone......"

(1 Peter 5:5)
“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.....”
Yes, Sir, I do think I am a good person by and large, although I sometimes have a bit of a temper when I see injustice. Justified anger, you might call it. (Even Jesus lost it at least once, so we're told, as when he kicked the moneylenders from the temple).

That's a very long way, however, from saying I am a PERFECT individual - I daresay none such exists. I guess you will say Jesus was perfect, but unfortunately for me, I don't share his advantage of being half man and half god.

The way I see it is this:

I believe the overall effect of my life on this planet will have been a beneficial one to my fellows, and in that sense, a good one. The reason I am fairly confident in this is not because I lack humbleness, but because I always choose to do the good in every situation, which is, of course, not always easy. Religious people, I would say, display a lack of humility when they claim a monopoly on right and wrong.

Surely, no-one can ask more of themselves than that, even if later hindsight shows that another course of action would have been more desirable. But if one's MOTIVES are sound, as I think mine tend to be, there is no room for blame.

I am, therefore PROUD to be a human being, because there is good in everyone, and we should focus on that positive fact, I believe, as opposed to always lamenting our 'sinful' (negative) nature, as you do.

And that, I maintain, is not arrogance, but simply a healthy awareness of our basic human dignity - a much maligned concept, especially in your biblical view of things.

Last edited by brianrees; 10-22-2008 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 450,970 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You say, Christians attack yet you yourself make insensitive remarks and then claim to be humble. That is not fair. If you want an open dialogue with me since I am the worst breed of our kind, a "fundamentalist" I would welcome you with open arms.

.......by the way, I have had gay friends.
Hanging children in the name of religious law is what I call insensitive and unfair. Sorry if these sort of facts offend you, but I tell you, my friend, if I saw you being dragged off to the gallows for any reason, I know I would do everything in my power to help you.

You have HAD gay friends you say? I wonder why you no longer have....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,100,301 times
Reputation: 1008
Really ? When's the last time you tried to stop a state execution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
Hanging children in the name of religious law is what I call insensitive and unfair. Sorry if these sort of facts offend you, but I tell you, my friend, if I saw you being dragged off to the gallows for any reason, I know I would do everything in my power to help you.

You have HAD gay friends you say? I wonder why you no longer have....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
 
Location: UK.
348 posts, read 450,970 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Really ? When's the last time you tried to stop a state execution?
That's the sort of cheap remark that will get us nowhere fast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
 
3,627 posts, read 12,412,869 times
Reputation: 2682
Brian I really have a question

The thread is titled "not all Christians go to Heaven"

It would be relevant to this thread for someone who believes to be a Christian to argue whether or not homosexuality is a sin or not because
-----if it IS, then repentence/change would be in order because a Christian seeks to do God's will in their lives and continuing to do the same sin would indicate a lack of true repentance [cheap grace]
----and if it is NOT you would be not be sinning by being who you are and living your life how you are.

If you don't believe you are a Christian [and it seems like maybe you are not], and don't believe in heaven or hell then why do you care about the topic at hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,100,301 times
Reputation: 1008
No it was not a cheap remark.

Anyone telling me that they would save someone from the gallows FOR ANY REASON is someone who is blind, and who likes to run into trouble.

Maybe you didnt mean it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
That's the sort of cheap remark that will get us nowhere fast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top