U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hoosier,

Possibly this part of your post sounded a little like this

Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Here is my post in its entirety. I'll explain.

Quote:
I am merely quoting from the Bible. I include myself wholeheartedly in making sure I am living a holy and righteous life before God. I too am a sinner who was saved by grace and am most definitely working out my salvation with fear and trembling as another poster stated.
My posts states that is my intention to live my life for the Lord. If you look in the Bible you'll see that it calls us to live an holy and righteous life. No one knows my heart or intentions when I write or speak except me and God. You and others may say it's arrogance, but ultimately that is God's call--because He knew my heart when I wrote those words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 7,175,698 times
One must not only accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior in order to be a true Christian, but one must also demonstrate the behavior befitting a true Christian. No matter what you say you are or think you are or believe, if you don't show it in your behavior, it isn't true.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM

140 posts, read 403,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
One must not only accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior in order to be a true Christian, but one must also demonstrate the behavior befitting a true Christian. No matter what you say you are or think you are or believe, if you don't show it in your behavior, it isn't true.
Just looking for some healthy debate here. Where in the Bible does it say we actually "accept" by our own effort, or even have the ability without the help of God. Can we? Are we able?

As far as the behavior, though I see what you are saying, I have to disagree. Maybe you don't mean it how it's said?? Only God knows what's in your heart, you can do all the good you want and still have a heart that is not Christ-filled. Flip side of that, it is absolutely impossible for any of us to behave perfectly, and that's what it would take.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM

21,428 posts, read 29,583,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Just looking for some healthy debate here. Where in the Bible does it say we actually "accept" by our own effort, or even have the ability without the help of God. Can we? Are we able?

As far as the behavior, though I see what you are saying, I have to disagree. Maybe you don't mean it how it's said?? Only God knows what's in your heart, you can do all the good you want and still have a heart that is not Christ-filled. Flip side of that, it is absolutely impossible for any of us to behave perfectly, and that's what it would take.
To me it sounds like Steve is saying if you talk the talk, you better walk the walk and I believe that. If you say it, live it.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,831,819 times
Quote:
No we can't or able to with our own reason or strength come to Jesus or accept him.

Quote:
I though can not simply say I'm a christian if my life doesn't reflect the change that it requires me to do. For a Christian no longer lives for self, but to serve one another and to give glory to God.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,350,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
So you say you're a Christian. What defines you as a Christian? Are you a cultural Christian? A cultural Christian by definition is one who lives by the standards of the culture around him/her. A cultural Christian says we should love everyone and forget about sin because that is not loving. Are cultural Christians truly Christians? That is between the person and God. However you must ask youself, "Have I been born again? Have I received Jesus into my heart and life and am I living a holy and righteous life before God?"

If you have truly been born again then by all means you will go to heaven and live eternally with the Father. Our Creator. Many will say that it's not fair or it's narrow minded to think in this manner. The words I've written here are found in the Bible and are the truth of God.

Many will stand before God and say, "But I did this and that in your name," and He will say "Away from me you evildoers, I never knew you." What an awful and horrible day that will be for men/women who hear those words.

Are you a Christian? The only true Christian is one who has received Christ as Savior. The rest are Christians in name only.
Matthew 7:21 says: Not everyone who says to me, " lord, Lord; shall enter the Kingdom of heaven, but who does the will of my Father in Heaven.

So, that means that there are some people that are going to be left out. Jesus is coming back for not a perticular religion, but for his followers. I'm tired of people getting so into what religion you stand for, Jesus does not care about that, he care that you have accepted him as your Lord and Savior.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
To me it sounds like Steve is saying if you talk the talk, you better walk the walk and I believe that. If you say it, live it.
You really can't believe that's true. I kind like the quiet type. Head down, nose to the grindstone, and leading by example. I personally think that talk is almost always indirectly proportional to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or