U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,248,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Reformed Liberal....How exciting for you. Isn't God good!
My parents became Christians in their 50's. My dad was an elder in the church, we had the youth group at our house. We all thought we were Christians because we were doing good things. My parents didn't drink, smoke or cuss. They thought God has some big balance scales and they were close enough!!!
My dad was pressured at work so he and my mom went to a state park for a get-away. They called to be sure they were not having something there that was loud. They said there was a Christian group and retreat. They thought, "oh good the Christian group will be quiet" They got up Saturday morning at seven to go hiking and the group was getting ready for a morning seminar. Well they though "who would get up at seven for a church meeting??? that's sort of a Sunday thing" They were talking about how to share your faith, they were using the "Four Spiritual Laws" booklet from Campus Crusade. Well they listened to the presentation and when it got to the part about it's not doing a list of do's and don't and not just going to church they realized they were not Christians. They prayed and asked Christ to come into their lives, forgive their sins and make them who He wanted them to be.
All I can tell you is that when they came home they were different. They had a hunger and thrist for God's word. They studied and prayed together and both started a deep, loving relationship with the living God.
I became a Christian a year later, and my next older brother about five years later.
When you are "born again" you see from different eyes. Suddenly you read God's word and things jump out at you. It is the peace that passes understanding.
Amen....awesome testimony!!! The Lord's timing is perfect, isn't it!!! He had your parents right where He wanted them, the appointment of His Divine timing!! And the fruit followed.... their children!!!

Blessings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,700,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Kind of a side thought but do any of you feel like it kind of negates the impact of God's giving his own son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins if he was just sending part of his own self? I'm not trying to start another trinity discussion, just trying to get a viewpoint. Giving up a child is so much more emotional for me than giving up one's own life. I can't grasp the heart of the father loving the world so much that he 'gave his only begotten son' unless I look at it in that way.

Is not your child a piece of you? It's just that the Trinity is an even more profound understanding.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,075,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Is not your child a piece of you? It's just that the Trinity is an even more profound understanding.

Actually, if you think Jesus is a part of God in the same way that my child is a piece of me, then we are in totaly agreement.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Actually, if you think Jesus is a part of God in the same way that my child is a piece of me, then we are in totaly agreement.
In a small minute way, yes

Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,075,654 times
Quote:
In a small minute way, yes
By all means, don't be too quick to agree w/ the Jehovah's Witness.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
By all means, don't be too quick to agree w/ the Jehovah's Witness.
LOL. I like you and I won't give up on you.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,873,468 times
Quote:
(Revelation 3:16)

16 "So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth."
When you spit something out of your mouth, do you not clean it up?

We are all His creation - the "floor" containing those who have been "rejected" is His as well. Nothing is beyond His redeeming grace. What I don't understand is the questioning of faith by those who don't hold the reconciliation of all viewpoint.

Is this biblical view glorifying Him? Will He be glorified by a spirit of deception?

When I was younger and held a "heaven or else" view, I couldn't help but suspect His arm was shortened. I cant speak for other UR's, but I love Him more now, see Him as greater, and trust Him more deeply than when I could not see this.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:50 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,323,408 times
That sounds nice but it's not in the Bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
When you spit something out of your mouth, do you not clean it up?

We are all His creation - the "floor" containing those who have been "rejected" is His as well. Nothing is beyond His redeeming grace. What I don't understand is the questioning of faith by those who don't hold the reconciliation of all viewpoint.

Is this biblical view glorifying Him? Will He be glorified by a spirit of deception?

When I was younger and held a "heaven or else" view, I couldn't help but suspect His arm was shortened. I cant speak for other UR's, but I love Him more now, see Him as greater, and trust Him more deeply than when I could not see this.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 AM

21,624 posts, read 30,200,893 times
Lots of good posts on here Like Nicodemus we must examine Jesus for ourselves. We must answer the question who is Jesus and what am I going to do about Him? The Kingdom of God is personal, not national or ethnic, not what church you go to, it's about repentance and a spiritual rebirth. And Jesus Himself said we (Christians) have the Holy Spirit, the very presence of God within us, helping us, teaching us the truth.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,248,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Lots of good posts on here Like Nicodemus we must examine Jesus for ourselves. We must answer the question who is Jesus and what am I going to do about Him? The Kingdom of God is personal, not national or ethnic, not what church you go to, it's about repentance and a spiritual rebirth. And Jesus Himself said we (Christians) have the Holy Spirit, the very presence of God within us, helping us, teaching us the truth.
Amen...Coon girl!!! You're right on!! Blessings to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or