Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,695,631 times

Advertisements

So you say you're a Christian. What defines you as a Christian? Are you a cultural Christian? A cultural Christian by definition is one who lives by the standards of the culture around him/her. A cultural Christian says we should love everyone and forget about sin because that is not loving. Are cultural Christians truly Christians? That is between the person and God. However you must ask youself, "Have I been born again? Have I received Jesus into my heart and life and am I living a holy and righteous life before God?"

If you have truly been born again then by all means you will go to heaven and live eternally with the Father. Our Creator. Many will say that it's not fair or it's narrow minded to think in this manner. The words I've written here are found in the Bible and are the truth of God.

Many will stand before God and say, "But I did this and that in your name," and He will say "Away from me you evildoers, I never knew you." What an awful and horrible day that will be for men/women who hear those words.

Are you a Christian? The only true Christian is one who has received Christ as Savior. The rest are Christians in name only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,560,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Are you a Christian? The only true Christian is one who has received Christ as Savior. The rest are Christians in name only.
I agree w/ this statement 100%. But I don't believe all true Christians are going to heaven. I believe the vast majority will live here, on earth. 'The meek shall inherit the earth' after all. Since this hasnt happened yet, we have to conclude that this is a future promise.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 AM

129 posts, read 443,264 times
So, who is to say that you're home safe? How can you dare say what God would do or say?
You'll learn all of the secrets just like everyone else will.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,290,497 times
Quote:
So you say you're a Christian. What defines you as a Christian? Are you a cultural Christian? A cultural Christian by definition is one who lives by the standards of the culture around him/her. A cultural Christian says we should love everyone and forget about sin because that is not loving. Are cultural Christians truly Christians? That is between the person and God. However you must ask youself, "Have I been born again? Have I received Jesus into my heart and life and am I living a holy and righteous life before God?"

If you have truly been born again then by all means you will go to heaven and live eternally with the Father. Our Creator. Many will say that it's not fair or it's narrow minded to think in this manner. The words I've written here are found in the Bible and are the truth of God.

Many will stand before God and say, "But I did this and that in your name," and He will say "Away from me you evildoers, I never knew you." What an awful and horrible day that will be for men/women who hear those words.

I'm still a sinner in need of lots of grace working out my salvation with fear and trembling

Old 10-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm still a sinner in need of lots of grace working out my salvation with fear and trembling
As am I! As am I.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
So, who is to say that you're home safe? How can you dare say what God would do or say?
I am merely quoting from the Bible. I include myself wholeheartedly in making sure I am living a holy and righteous life before God. I too am a sinner who was saved by grace and am most definitely working out my salvation with fear and trembling as another poster stated.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,290,497 times
Quote:
As am I! As am I.

as iron sharpens iron my friend

Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,499,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
The bible

Old 10-17-2008, 09:33 AM

5,868 posts, read 3,747,186 times
Amen, Hoosier! We can be secure in our salvation because of what Jesus Christ did on the cross for us, and if we have accepted Him as the only true Savior and follow the Bible and His teachings to live a Godly life.

Otoh, there are many many people who claim Christianity who are not Christians. We will be full of surprise and sorrow when so many we thought were Christians do not make it to heaven. Like you said, it is a matter that is between that person and God.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM

396 posts, read 834,736 times
So, I was baptized a Roman Catholic. Where as I may not agree with the Church 100% on all things at the moment, I do accept the fact that Jesus died for my sins. It seems that you say that only those that are "Born Again" are admitted into heaven, what is your definition of being "Born Again?" Is it that you have to get the full "Holy Roller, Bible Thumping, Born-again Baptist" type full body dunk-on-the-verge-of-drowning-you baptism in the river? Is it that you have to subscribe to your particular brand of Christianity? Or is it that you just have to accept that Jesus is the Lord and Savior and died for EVERY LAST ONE OF US on the Cross?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity