Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:07 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1913 View Post
I know I will be saced since I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit ae evvidenced by speaking in tiongues.
www.howtoheal.org
Don't let speaking in tongues be your security, as several I've seen that were once "on fire" have been humbled.

Let His faithfulness be your Rock, as all others are sinking sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Some have even gone even farther and said all will be saved whether they believe or not!
The might be some who say that or perhaps you misunderstood them. Most of us who say all will be saved believe that all wll confess Him and believe.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,230 times
You cannot separate faith & obedience. They flow in absolute union together!

Romans 16:26

"But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for obedience faith."

Please note: "the" and "of" are not in the Koine.

Quote:
But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 AM

988 posts, read 1,902,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Marian, I don't understand your premise.

Do you mean obedience vs. faith only, as you wrote?

Or something else.

Because if it's either one or the other, I have to go with faith.

Don't you mean that faith in Christ should lead to obedience?

Do you believe obedience has saving power?

Faith without obedience is a dead counterfeit faith.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Or as James said - You say you have faith? Show me your faith without obedience - by my obedience I will show you my faith.

"Even so faith, if it have not works, is dead in itself.
Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith apart from thy works, and I by my works will show thee my faith. "

HK

Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Well said Harold. "Faith" is a VERB....it is an ACTION word, not just some spiritual mumbo jumbo. Just as the original concept from the Hebrew "Shema" which while read as "HEAR" as in Hear O Israel it is correctly translated as "Hear with the intent to DO". As for tongues it is abundantly clear in scripture that speaking in a tounge MUST either be a "Known language" or be interpreted.....or else it is from HaSatan. PERIOD. These folks that gibber jabber mumbo jumbo are inhabited by the wrong spirit if they endulge in that drivel. Writhing on the floor barking like dogs. Sheesh get a grip......most certainly has NOTHING to do with speaking in a tounge discussed in scripture. Nothing like counterfeit to do it's thing. The anti Messiah will have his way with many if that junk keeps up.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

[quote=

I understand. I just disagree that obedience saves. Salvation, in my view, was bought and paid for COMPLETELY on the cross by Jesus' blood. My obedience to Him and His teachings is the fruit that I 'really' believe, but it does not save me.[/quote]

Alpha is it not true that what you really mean is that your disobedience cannot cause you to be lost?

HK

Rom 2:8 but unto them that are factious, and obey not the truth, but obey unrighteousness, shall be wrath and indignation,

Rom 2:13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Very fair Harold. Indeed the Obedience is NOT what saves us. We don't do it because we HAVE to.....we do it because we GET to. It was well put that it is the fruit of your faith. Too many are paranoid that one is insinuating that the works save you. We certainly aren't saying THAT but that obedience is EVIDENCE of your faith.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
You cannot separate faith & obedience. They flow in absolute union together!

Romans 16:26

"But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for obedience faith."

Please note: "the" and "of" are not in the Koine.

Yes - faith and obedience are two sides of the same coin. Remove either one and it is a counterfeit.

HK

Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
There have been a few threads going around about whether Christians today should obey the laws in the OT. This thread to me sums up the difference between having strict laws vs principles to follow.

In the OT, the Isrealites had strict that laws that REQUIRED obedience. Of course that was necessary to keep the nation pure for Jesus to come through. However, Jesus hung all those laws on 2 principles...love for God and love for your neighbor.

We are required now, to demonstrate our faith on principles instead of strict laws..."a circumcision off the heart". Sometimes is easier to follow a spelled out strict law, than priniciples with which you really have to use discernment.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM

Let's not get carried away once more. Yahushua stated the most important of the Spiritual and Civil law's to observe, He NEVER said NOT To follow the rest of the covenant commandments. They ARE to be observed. He said (and I'll repeat it for the umpteenth time) in Matthew 5 that NONE of the law was being removed. The ONLY law done away with on the tree was "The Law of Sin and Death" (Rom 8). Lets not get crazy here and be blotting out law that is STILL very much in effect for believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity