U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,457,452 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I think that sometimes people enjoy telling someone they are going to hell because of their "lifestyle". I really do. Its human nature to want to be in a selective club (i.e. the "narrow way"). I honestly think that is where fundamentalist evangelicals lose their way.

Other non-blievers can correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the public perception of some Christians is that they would just as soon tell you what you are doing wrong first instead of telling you how doing something right benefits you.

JMO.
I can easily say people who don't witness to their friends and family who know will end up in hell if they die in their sins was really not a good friend nor a family member in the first place but I would not say that because that is being too general.

 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,105,251 times
Reputation: 1008
Actually, I hardly hear anymore preachers preach fire/brimstone.

I haven't seen that or remember that happenining on this forum.

Debating about it is another thing, but I haven't seen it as the 'main message'
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,105,251 times
Reputation: 1008
If they dont preach to their friends/family then they are breaking the 2nd greatest commandment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I can easily say people who don't witness to their friends and family who know will end up in hell if they die in their sins was really not a good friend nor a family member in the first place but I would not say that because that is being too general.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:43 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,457,452 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
If they dont preach to their friends/family then they are breaking the 2nd greatest commandment.
Many people in this forum believe that is not the case.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,563,062 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
If they dont preach to their friends/family then they are breaking the 2nd greatest commandment.
Saying "Christ" and showing Christ are often polar opposites.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,457,452 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Saying "Christ" and showing Christ are often polar opposites.
little elmer I have to say, most of time you are WAY over my head. Please enlighten me on that has to do with renriq02's comments
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,065,588 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I can easily say people who don't witness to their friends and family who know will end up in hell if they die in their sins was really not a good friend nor a family member in the first place but I would not say that because that is being too general.
I appreciate the input but it doesn't really address what I was saying.

My point was there are two paths you can follow:

1. You get more bees with honey
or
2. Squeaky wheel gets the grease

Its my assertion that "Christianity" (Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ.. whatever) has a public perception problem. It seems that problem stems from path #2 (the squeaky wheel path).

It will be very intersting, in my opinion, to see what transformation "Christianity" takes in the United States in the next 20-30 years. The internet and the web will have a profound influence on knowledge and human connections.

Simply put.. if you look like jerk (no matter how good you think your message is) the whole world can know in a matter of minutes.

Anyway.. this is getting off topoic. Just thought it was interesting.
 
Old 10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,457,452 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I appreciate the input but it doesn't really address what I was saying.

My point was there are two paths you can follow:

1. You get more bees with honey
or
2. Squeaky wheel gets the grease

Its my assertion that "Christianity" (Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ.. whatever) has a public perception problem. It seems that problem stems from path #2 (the squeaky wheel path).

It will be very intersting, in my opinion, to see what transformation "Christianity" takes in the United States in the next 20-30 years. The internet and the web will have a profound influence on knowledge and human connections.

Simply put.. if you look like jerk (no matter how good you think your message is) the whole world can know in a matter of minutes.

Anyway.. this is getting off topoic. Just thought it was interesting.
Why don't you practice what scripture has to say then what the fallen, sinful world says.

Here is where your view falls flat. What did the world do to Jesus who had a loving, compassionate message for them?
 
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,563,062 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
little elmer I have to say, most of time you are WAY over my head. Please enlighten me on that has to do with renriq02's comments
He said, "If they dont preach to their friends/family then they are breaking the 2nd greatest commandment."

Christians often preach from such a stance that the message is drowned out - to show Christ's love and light in this world is different than telling people what they should do. Besides, a prophet doesn't always get an ear around his own people. (Mark 6)
 
Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,105,251 times
Reputation: 1008
they dont understand the Good Samaritan's parable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Many people in this forum believe that is not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top