U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,064,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why don't you practice what scripture has to say then what the fallen, sinful world says.
Why don't you keep it on topic and not worry about what I do. In fact it is really none of your concern what I do. Understand?

Quote:
Here is where your view falls flat. What did the world do to Jesus who had a loving, compassionate message for them?
Its not my "view".. its just an observation. Whether it falls flat or not is certainly subjective.

So my argument was you get more bees with honey.

Is it safe to say your argument is a loving, compassionate message is the wrong message?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM

702 posts, read 844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
It will be very intersting, in my opinion, to see what transformation "Christianity" takes in the United States in the next 20-30 years. The internet and the web will have a profound influence on knowledge and human connections.
I think the really big but buried news is how it has already restructured, in part due to anywhere/anytime media we've used for the last 35 years or so. According to polls made for the magazine "Chritianity Today" in 1976 over half the people in the USA claiming to believe in the Bible, that they were born-again and who regularly attended church went to independent rather than denominational churches. The majority were neither Roman Catholic or Protestant, but independent.

Now Barna predicts that at the present rate of growth over half of the Christians in the USA will meet in their homes. They already do in the rest of the world. By no means is this only due to getting the best teaching from cassettes, CD's and the internet; but, I believe it is a significant factor. Too often Institutional Christianity has centered what we do when we get together on either a ritualistic show or a sermon. In order to have fellowship and enter into all that Jesus is and does because He is in us we have to do it someplace else than in the traditional "service" put on by the religious systems. With better teaching available "on demand" in our living rooms and able there too to do all the one-anothering God's love in us mandates it is obvious why people are voting with their feet.

The Church is coming out of Babylon. There is unprecedented great power and glory coming to the people of God. God showed me it was a tsunami of the Holy Spirit. He showed it to me also as an immense hurricane of fire that was made up of tongues of fire that were sent out to become one with His holy ones. The dome of darkness covering the Church will be dispelled.

I've discovered that I have much liberty in speaking to others when I know I'm caught up in the love of God for them. Then I'm not all worried with myself, whether I'll offend or not.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM

17,750 posts, read 15,041,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Too many people are blinded by their own spiritual pride. They seem to think that they are the only ones who read and understand the Bible. They go around like little dictators, ready to cut off the heads of anyone who disagrees with them.

Jesus came that we might have life... and have it more abundantly.

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
For every man shall bear his own burden.

Having said that, I probably need to leave this discussion and probably this forum for a while now lest I be torn to shreds by those feeling the need to straighten me out. Before I leave I'd like to point out that it's been nice here on the forum for a few days.... the Spirit of God has truly been among us.

Adios!
Hi World Citizen,

Those people are down right gentile. In the old days you could be tied to a stake and burned as a heretic. In the case of Felix in the Limmat at least they gave him his wish, adult baptism it is. In another case you may end up on a mural in the regal room as a side benefit which I admit is not being offered nowadays to the casual heretic.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,774,159 times
Quote:
Why don't you practice what scripture has to say then what the fallen, sinful world says.

Here is where your view falls flat. What did the world do to Jesus who had a loving, compassionate message for them?
The world did just as God intended it to do.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:19 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,772,370 times
Default King of Kings and Lord of Lords...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The world did just as God intended it to do.
You're right.

Jesus was the Lamb slain from the beginning of the world.
When God provided His perfect Lamb to die for the sins of the world, He knew exactly what would happen.

Jesus was criticized. He was mocked. He was killed by the very people He came to save...

It is amazing how little things have changed since Jesus' time.

Jesus' message to a lost and dying world also has not changed.

It's always the way of the cross...

Last edited by World Citizen; 10-20-2008 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,613,017 times
I am someone who is guilty of coming off too harsh sometimes on some issues, but it really irks me to see so many people on this forum twisting the Word of God to try to justify their lifestyles. The Bible is something you either believe or you don't, and its amazing to see to what lengths people will go to trying to create a heretical interpretation of Scripture that doesn't condemn and sometimes promotes whatever sin they are trying to justify.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,470,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am someone who is guilty of coming off too harsh sometimes on some issues, but it really irks me to see so many people on this forum twisting the Word of God to try to justify their lifestyles. The Bible is something you either believe or you don't, and its amazing to see to what lengths people will go to trying to create a heretical interpretation of Scripture that doesn't condemn and sometimes promotes whatever sin they are trying to justify.

My sentiments exactly.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 PM

286 posts, read 899,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Why shouldn't people that approve deeply deceiving and destructive lifestyles feel shunned by the Godly? It is important to their salvation to let them know they are rejected by God. To live unrepentantly as a proclaimed homosexual is definitely to not be entering the realm of God where He is the Ruler. Those who are entering in need to obey God and draw a line for their own group. Even if someone discovered in sinful acts happened to be also repentant, struggling to overcome his sin, was wrongly banned from a church, God is still there to work with him and lead him to another gathering.

There are several reasons The Gay Agenda is so important to Christians. One not well known to them is that gays are more hospitable in service to their "love" than most people calling themselves "Christian" are for their love; so, guess to whom God gives the upper hand? Most important however, is that it is the watershed issue for the freedom of the Church. They are enacting laws that define Stalinesque "thought crimes," making it illegal to express the Scriptural revelation about the matter, potentially even criminalizing living life according to Scripture and the Church's historic position. Meanwhile the gays are marching in the streets, teaching in the churches and co-opting public school textbooks. This is pointedly important for those who have children and want to keep them while raising them as Christians.

Quoting the US Constitution from a faulty memory...that, "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof..." (and no other branch of government is to be making laws!) seems to be disregarded by a number of the states when it comes to homosexuality. Perhaps it has come to this in part because we've been over accomadating.

This is a pretty good example of the type of thing that makes people not want to be involved with christians. Saying things like homosexuals should be "shunned by the godly" makes christianity look pretty terrible. The only people that Jesus came close to shunning was the religious leaders of his time. What do you make of that?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,613,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
This is a pretty good example of the type of thing that makes people not want to be involved with christians. Saying things like homosexuals should be "shunned by the godly" makes christianity look pretty terrible. The only people that Jesus came close to shunning was the religious leaders of his time. What do you make of that?
There is a fine line between showing homosexuals the love of Christ, and showing acceptance of their lifestyle. Homosexuals are much to blame because they automatically accuse any Christian of hate mongering if they merely quote what the Bible has to say on the subject. Both sides need to give a little. It can be done, but doesn't happen much today.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,337,964 times
I agree think of all the homosexuals that are offended, think of their feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc121 View Post
Christians: Please think about the things that you say while you are on this forum. Talking about judgment all of the time, insulting others, and bashing different people groups DOES NOT make people look favorably upon christianity. There is definitive truth and it is ok to stick up for that, but we need to keep in mind the way that others are seeing our faith. I have certainly been guilty of getting carried away and offending others. Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or