U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is your Priamary Translation?
American Standard 0 0%
King James 13 27.08%
NIV 16 33.33%
NKJV 4 8.33%
NRSV 0 0%
NAB 2 4.17%
RSV 1 2.08%
Douay-Rheims 0 0%
Good News Translation 1 2.08%
New American Standard 5 10.42%
New Jerusalem 1 2.08%
Other - Please expain below 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 AM

10,258 posts, read 8,236,968 times
Quote:
I've heard the King James should be the preferred as it is not good to have anything 'new' associated with the Bible...too much more can get lost in translation. I've already got enough of a hard time convincing some that the Bible is not just some 'old book' where things might have gotten mixed up in translation...
Hi StucKPA,

I remember what one minister shared, which has always stuck with me. God did not write the King James Version of the scriptures. He directed the writers of the scriptures and the scriptures were written down in the original languages of the writers. What did people use before the King James? Wasn't the King James Version new for them when it was written? The translators of the KJV themselves admitted that it was not a perfect translation. It might be better to use more than one translation along with a good Bible dictionary/lexicon and pray for God's direction in studying His word. Take care and God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM

7,950 posts, read 8,674,350 times
The problem with the KJV when sharing the gospel with a new believer is if they haven't grown up learning it and studying the language, they will find it rather difficult to understand. I grew up in an Independent Baptist KJV Onlyism church, so it comes easy to me, but to many people it doesn't. Its not the KJV that the KJV Onlyists defend so dearly, but the Textus Receptus, which is the original manuscripts from which the KJV is translated. Every new translation has been translated from the Alexandrian texts which many believe to have been corrupted.

I think a new literal translation based on the Textus Receptus would satisfy many people who have problems with the NIV, NRSV, ESV, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:46 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,419,271 times
ALL! His Words is law, It never changes.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 AM

398 posts, read 505,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
ALL! His Words is law, It never changes.
Ok, so does that mean that you just randomly choose a Bible off the shelf when you want to read it? When you go to church, if for some reason you take a Bible with you, which one do you take with you? I say "if for some reason you take a Bible with you" because that's not something I'm use to. The passages that are used at each Mass are in the Missalette in each pew.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,419,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Ok, so does that mean that you just randomly choose a Bible off the shelf when you want to read it? When you go to church, if for some reason you take a Bible with you, which one do you take with you? I say "if for some reason you take a Bible with you" because that's not something I'm use to. The passages that are used at each Mass are in the Missalette in each pew.

No, it means that His Words ought to be engraved in your heart, so when you hear anything that does'nt line up with His words, you're able to discern truth from the non-truths.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 10-27-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,733,903 times
True story:

My wife and I visited a church a couple of years ago, and the pastor's sermon turned strict as he read passages from his translation. The congregation was very gloomy.

Problem was, as my wife and I read along in our KJV we saw God's power and grace in the very same passages. We laughed out loud! I wish I could remember what the scriptures were!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM

376 posts, read 789,364 times
I prefer the New Living Translation for ease of use and it's my primary Bible. I grew up on the KJV and am comfortable with it for the most part but have read more since finding the NLT due to the ease of the flow of the language. Hubby was raised "KJV is the only version" but has relaxed that view over the years and now owns NKJV Bibles of his own and will skim my NLT from time to time.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,860,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
I prefer the New Living Translation for ease of use and it's my primary Bible. I grew up on the KJV and am comfortable with it for the most part but have read more since finding the NLT due to the ease of the flow of the language. Hubby was raised "KJV is the only version" but has relaxed that view over the years and now owns NKJV Bibles of his own and will skim my NLT from time to time.
While I use the NIV some, I also really like the NLT - in fact, I think it is the closest translation we have to the original greek - someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I also like the Message for some passages that are otherwise tough to read.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 1,578,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
While I use the NIV some, I also really like the NLT - in fact, I think it is the closest translation we have to the original greek - someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I also like the Message for some passages that are otherwise tough to read.
Greek? Btw I was having that discussion with someone recently,they tried to claim that the Bible could have 'lost something' in translation from it's original language to english...possible?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM

398 posts, read 505,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Greek? Btw I was having that discussion with someone recently,they tried to claim that the Bible could have 'lost something' in translation from it's original language to english...possible?
Very much possible. A lot of todays translations went from Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic to another language to another language to English, so things do tend to get lost in translation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity