U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is the bible 100% accurate?
Yes 17 36.96%
No 22 47.83%
Only the almighty God Knows 8 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
As far as trying to prove to atheists and others that God exists, you can't do that. Did someone prove to you 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is real before you believed? No. You took it on faith, which is exactly what we all have to do and are told to do in the Bible.

The only thing you can do is prove God through yourself. Live it and testify as to what He has done for you. You plant the seed, the Holy Spirit does the rest. It's frustrating but the following verse speaks volumes about this situation:

Mat 7:6..."Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."
Amen sister! Great verse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 AM

276 posts, read 611,881 times
aright atheist/scientist have proven that God exist through their theory, lets go back to Genesis 1:1 'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.' here is one verse right lets break it down as a scientist or atheist. 'in the beginning' represents time, 'God' is the force, so we have force and time right. 'Created' is the process of that formula, i call it creation nothing really can begin without nothing something must have caused it. Now the 'heaven and earth', scientist know we have the earth and the space. think logical and all this is only in one verse, but it took scientist years to uncover their ignorance.

i believe in God but scientist can't prove evolution, if you want to prove evolution then come up with proof of intermediate fossils stages of evolution. what i personally do not believe is if the bible is 100% accurate, you can imagine back then they had to rewrite the copies by hand word to word using ink and a feather, even to make the logic clearer most of the bibles went through alot of translation and you can imagine words collaborating in different languages, can be a hectic job especially in the times when technology was scarce. i have spotted some errors such as different numbers of people occurring when revealed again on other passages concerning the same story. not name no but the best thing to do is pray, i personally still use the bible as y daily guide to know the nature of God and be saved. ignorance lacks the knowledge of the truth.

Last edited by jackdonekings; 10-23-2008 at 03:42 AM..

Old 10-23-2008, 10:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,358,628 times
I don't know if it is or not; Only God knows;
If it has been tampered with like everything else...Then "God Forbid"
Echo (World Citizen)
"But I do know that The Holy Spirit is", and His promise to lead us and guide us into all truth
When you have the Holy spirit it saves you from a lot of labour and sweat trying to figure and reason
I wished everyone could experience The Holy Spirit....
The Bible is polarized and it comes to life and only then will things makes sense........spiritually
And I suppose it would depend on which bible you are questioning...

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-23-2008 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 AM

379 posts, read 514,020 times
I think all of The Bible is true, in one way or another. We were NOT around before the universe and we can't know how it all formed into what we see today (including us). If you think of the universe, us, and our world, as a kind of video game, then it makes perfect sense that God created it, especially since God and Heaven is widely considered to be another realm.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
When you have the Holy spirit it saves you from a lot of labour and sweat trying to figure and reason
I wished everyone could experience The Holy Spirit....
The Bible is polarized and it comes to life and only then will things makes sense........spiritually
Repped.

The bible is read through (man's) traditional goggles. Whether we know it or not, we are stale and stagnant while the Spirit is alive, cutting through the carnal reasoning and presumptions.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 AM

1,244 posts, read 2,821,039 times
I believe that the Word of God, as originally given to man by inspiration of God and the Holy Spirit is 100% completely accurate. I do believe that in the multiple translations of God's word, due to the interpretations of man that may have been applied, some differences may be found. For example, I use the NKJV primarily. However, I have viewed other translations and do find that some tend to be far more watered down than the NKJV or KJV for that matter.

For this reason, I do believe it is highly important to maintain an up to date, alive and active relationship with God. I believe it does the believer, or the seeker, well to pray before reading God's word and ask that the Holy Spirit reveal to the reader what God would have them know. I also believe it is important to use more than one translation in the studying of God's word and to, whenever possible, seek out the original meaning of words or phrases found within the bible. Going back to the root basically.

God's word is very clear, it does not tell us to simply read His word as if we were reading a novel. It tells us to "study and show ourselves approved". That is the key, study. Studying involves far more than merely picking up the bible (as if it were but a mere book) and simply reading it. We must pray, we must study, we must seek God and we must rely upon God to reveal things to us and thus help us interpret His word as He would have us do so.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:51 AM

4,368 posts, read 4,091,050 times
The Bible is not a document dictated to the writer by God. It is a human document written by the writer(s) who had an encounter with God, and was limited by the time period and culture in which he lived. No one can be sure of what was added or changed by the writers or by the translators.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
I did not answer this poll because I know there are too many versions/ translations, and there are bound to be a few errors, (and a lot of errors in some), but I believe God has seen to it that all that we really need to know, to be saved, is contained in all translations, but not in interpretations!
I believe that the original scriptures were all inspired by God, and completely accurate.
If translations, and or versions, are deliberately changed by the translators to fit their own theories, they will be judged by God. It will be a very serious offense. It behooves us all to be sure we have the most accurate translation that is available in our language. Choosing a bible just because you like the way it sounds to you is a dangerous thing to do.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
God's word is very clear, it does not tell us to simply read His word as if we were reading a novel. It tells us to "study and show ourselves approved". That is the key, study. Studying involves far more than merely picking up the bible (as if it were but a mere book) and simply reading it. We must pray, we must study, we must seek God and we must rely upon God to reveal things to us and thus help us interpret His word as He would have us do so.
This is VERY GOOD advice!!!! I find the more you read the Bible the more you understand, we must remember the Holy Spirit will not reveal everything to you the first couple of times that you read. And we are not meant to understand it all, remember the O.T. for the Jews and the N.T. for the Gentiles. Understand the Old Testament, Embrace the Love, of the New Testament.

I have been finding books that relate to the way Christianity has progressed. The lives and culture of the Romans, Greeks, Jews and Christians, it gives you a much better understanding of the Bible and the times.

You have to pray for wisdom and knowledge, before you read and give time for God to speak to you, through what you read. Spending time with God each and every day, HE will reveal the TRUTH'S of THE BIBLE!!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Spending time with God each and every day, HE will reveal the TRUTH'S of THE BIBLE!!
Amen. I believe if you want to find Him you read the Bible, then if you want to read the Bible you walk with Him. It's not a requirement to have in depth head knowledge in order for Him to envelope you in His saving grace. Some find their knowledge of Him by Him using the Bible to reveal Himself to them, but I know some first hand that we're not anywhere near a church - or bible - when they cried out and He entered in.

Salvation is totally by Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or