Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is the bible 100% accurate?
Yes 17 36.96%
No 22 47.83%
Only the almighty God Knows 8 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Here's even more so called contradictions:

The Restitution of All Things, Section II (Testimony of Scripture)

But if you are patient and read through, you'll see that God works all those supposed contradictions out to His glory and man's shame.
Using the bible to prove the bible is a logical fallacy called the Base Assertion Fallacy.

And how does 'God work out' the contradiction of the order of creation? He created the earth once as in Genesis 1, then destroyed it, then created it again as in Genesis 2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Rather than spending hours listing the contradictions, here is a website that has a big list.

I will list one, however. The Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 contradict each other on the order of creation. Not to mention they contradict science.

Genesis 1 says humans were created after plants and animals, and Adam and Eve were basically created together. Genesis 2 says Adam was created, then plants and animals, and then Eve.
While in theory you are correct that Genesis 1 & 2 contradict themselves, how much have you researched why? The hardest thing - and I might add the thing that frustrates me the most sometimes - is that we don't always understand what the original Hebrew implied and we don't always have the best translations into the English language. In this particular case though, it's thought by many scholars, that Moses wrote chapter 1 from God's perspective, and chapter 2 from man's - even today, who do we think is most important? Ourself, so logically, if I was writing it from my perspective, I would note that God made the most important thing first: man.

I will give you though, that at least you pointed out something that is in direct correlation i.e. back-to-back passages as contradicting itself. Many times, people will point out something in Leviticus that was contradicted by something in the New Testament. Well, that's like saying Science contradicts itself b/c for most of earth's history, all scientists said the earth was flat, not until the past 500 years or so have scientists agreed that the earth is round. So does that mean science contradicts itself? No, it's just man discovered the truth that wasn't made aware to scientists thousands of years ago, much like often happened in the Bible, the state of the world changed drastically between periods that it was written. God revealed new things (as He still does today - see Psalm 40:3) to His people throughout the Bible - and sometimes those things superceded things that occured earlier in the Bible.

I find it humourous that some people always want to take science as the 'gospel truth', like just b/c a scientist says this is how something came to be, then that's the way it happened, yet when a Christian or Jew say they believe in what the Old Testament says (& New Testament for Christians), it's passed off as foolish folklore, even though the ancient scriptures were revered and written down by people in that day and treasured, much of which was eye-witnessed.

I've often said that I think it takes much more faith to believe in Evolution than it does in Creation. The world is so complex, just look at the human body alone, it is absolutely fascinating in how it runs.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
You bring up a good point - the period something is written is relevant; I can say it's a cloudless sky (which is true right here, right now) and someone else can dispute its accuracy.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Stop with the games, you know there are contradictions in the bible. Just Google "Bible contradictions" and about a million will pop-up.
I'm glad that you believe everything you read on the internet.

I just wanted the poster to actually point some out that they had actually researched themself. A lot of people will use the argument that the Bible contradicts itself, and then you ask them, well could you show me one of the contradictions, and they'll say no, but I know that it does. Well, at least research it and find out for yourself if it really does, they don't even know, they're just going based on what others have told them.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I've often said that I think it takes much more faith to believe in Evolution than it does in Creation. The world is so complex, just look at the human body alone, it is absolutely fascinating in how it runs.
Looking at the human body is biology and physiology. Both of these scientific disciplines support evolution.

Science is not faith, it is skepticism. Scientists are always trying to disprove others' findings, because if they do, they gain reputation and fame. Scientists only claim that their hypotheses were supported from studies. They don't take ancient literature and say it must be this way. Science is not static. It is ever changing. It is always improving. And it is based on OBSERVABLE evidence. NOT FAITH.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Well, at least research it and find out for yourself if it really does, they don't even know, they're just going based on what others have told them.
The websites listing bible contradictions are not just 'stuff on the internet that gullible people believe.' It is a list of verses that anyone can look up on their own. it's just a starting point, so you don't have to spend countless hours poring over every verse in search of a contradiction. Which, if you did, all the better. You'd probably find many more than what is listed on the internet.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,042 times
The bible is exactly as accurate as any and all other religious holy tomes; all are equally valid and false depending upon one's point of view and prejudice(s).

Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Science is not static. It is ever changing. It is always improving. And it is based on OBSERVABLE evidence. NOT FAITH.
There is plenty of the Bible that is based on observable evidence too, almost all the key tenets of the faith were recorded by or from eye-witnesses of the events.

I didn't say all of science was faith, I just said I think it takes a lot of faith to believe in evolution - it seems to be the one area where scientists do NOT use much skepticism, even though it has plenty of holes in the theory, it's just taken as fact.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
accurate in what sense? historically, certainly not.
as literature 100% yes.
the moral and ethical lessons are clear and unbroken from beginning to end
the superiority of spirituality over carnality.
but to those blinded with rage hatred and lust
the bible is utter nonsense.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
accurate in what sense? historically, certainly not.
as literature 100% yes.
the moral and ethical lessons are clear and unbroken from beginning to end
the superiority of spirituality over carnality.
but to those blinded with rage hatred and lust
the bible is utter nonsense.
Moral and ethical lessons are clear and unbroken? what about the laws in leviticus, for example? What about the story about Elijah, 2 Kings 2:23-24:
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

Moral? Don't mock bald people, for you will be mauled by bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity