U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I do too - we are the dust the earth.
Wait..wait

"So the LORD God said to the serpent, ‘Because you have done this, cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life.’”

The fact that the serpent was cursed to crawl on his belly and eat the dust of the earth forever is also a way if indicating that the serpent would be forever despised and looked upon as a vile and despicable creature, in which it most certainly is. So He cursed the snake literally

Scientists believe that snakes had legs in fact pretty much all the reptilians have legs.

I believe God cursed the snake but the fate of the serpent was an illustration of what Satan's fate will one day be as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wait..wait

"So the LORD God said to the serpent, ‘Because you have done this, cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life.’”

The fact that the serpent was cursed to crawl on his belly and eat the dust of the earth forever is also a way if indicating that the serpent would be forever despised and looked upon as a vile and despicable creature, in which it most certainly is. So He cursed the snake literally

Scientists believe that snakes had legs in fact pretty much all the reptilians have legs.

I believe God cursed the snake but the fate of the serpent was an illustration of what one day will be Satan's fate as well.
So it's both literal and figurative. It's generally accepted that what is spiritual is followed by the natural.

edit: Consider also that satan can feed only on what is dust; to wit: Jesus said, "The prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me." Satan cannot touch what is the nature of Christ. I believe God allows him to show us what is still alive to the flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,062,394 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
whoa what? I agree that figurative is still a fact of truth (just a figure of speech) but I asked you a question, what did God mean by creating man from the dust of the earth. How is that not literal, if figurative, then what did He truly mean?
Whoa as in one step at a time. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If Genesis is not true or can not be taken literally then the entire bible falls apart.
Yet you agree that figurative speech contains fact.

So really your initial premise then becomes:

"If Genesis is not true or cannot be taken literally or figuratively then the entire bible falls apart"

If that was the statment then I would agree because then there would be no way for Genesis to be true (either literally or figuratively).

However, since, and you already agree with me on this, figurative speech is still fact based then Genesis rings true to us "figuratists". Additionally it makes more sense to us "figuratists" since to assume a literal translation and equate that in an argument of evolution not only makes one look foolish but it also hurts the search for knowledge.

For crying out loud.. Jews don't believe Genesis to be literal.

I'm done because your premise in the OP was that you have to take a literal view because any other assumption is absence of fact.

You and I already agree that figurative speech contains fact so thus my input is through here.

Now.. if you'd like to post a thread about the figurative nature of genesis I'd be happy to post there sometime.

Thanks and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
So it's both literal and figurative. It's generally accepted that what is spiritual is followed by the natural.

edit: Consider also that satan can feed only on what is dust; to wit: Jesus said, "The prince of this world comes, and has nothing in me." Satan cannot touch what is the nature of Christ. I believe God allows him to show us what is still alive to the flesh.
I have no problem with figurative, my whole argument is about symbolism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have no problem with figurative, my whole argument is about symbolism
I'll go easy on you, but here's one: Was the snake on a pole that Moses raised to the people for healing not a suffering symbol representative of Calvary to come?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Whoa as in one step at a time. You said:

However, since, and you already agree with me on this, figurative speech is still fact based then Genesis rings true to us "figuratists". Additionally it makes more sense to us "figuratists" since to assume a literal translation and equate that in an argument of evolution not only makes one look foolish but it also hurts the search for knowledge.

For crying out loud.. Jews don't believe Genesis to be literal.
No you have changed the argument which you are famous for and I must admit I did get confuse because we are arguing under two different premise.
Just because I take the bible literally does not mean there isn't figurative speech as well especially in the Psalms of David etc....
My question to you is what in Genesis do you believe to be figurative? You still haven't answered. The Jews don't even believe Jesus is God. What is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I'll go easy on you, but here's one: Was the snake on a pole that Moses raised to the people for healing not a suffering symbol representative of Calvary to come?
Oh thanks
Did Moses raise the pole or not? If he did then he literally raised the pole, but using the same argument against Genesis for Moses. Did Moses really exist or was he a symbol of the Jewish bondage in Egypt?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-23-2008 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Taking the bible literally is the only way to determine what God really is trying to communicate to us. When we read any piece of literature, but especially the Bible, we must determine what the author intended to communicate, how can we do that in a totally figurative manner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,555,893 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Oh thanks
Did Moses raise the pole or not?
Boy, there's a sermon I haven't heard preached.

Quote:
And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
(Num 21:6-9)
The very thing that had afficted the people was now representative of their healing, if they would focus on it.

Our carnal life (mind and flesh) is the enemy of the life of Christ, and is our affliction. So the Man Christ Jesus is set upon a (cross), and if we focus on Him, we shall live.

Thanks for directing me in a wild goose chase that blessed me. (Rom 8:28)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Boy, there's a sermon I haven't heard preached.



The very thing that had afficted the people was now representative of their healing, if they would focus on it.

Our carnal life (mind and flesh) is the enemy of the life of Christ, and is our affliction. So the Man Christ Jesus is set upon a (cross), and if we focus on Him, we shall live.

Thanks for directing me in a wild goose chase that blessed me. (Rom 8:28)
I am getting confused as well.......

Did Moses raise the pole or not? If he did then he literally raised the pole, but using the same argument against Genesis (that my thread is about) for Moses. Did Moses really exist or was he a symbol of the Jewish bondage in Egypt?

My whole argument is being taken into another direction. Not only can we take the bible literally but we must! of course their is symbolism in the bible, "Abraham and Isaac" and what the Lamb represented, not to mention many theologians believe that was the same spot where Jesus was crucified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top