Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:46 PM

410 posts, read 513,220 times

Advertisements

how do christians feel about prostitution and how do you think people end up as this being their career choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 01:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,107,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
how do christians feel about prostitution and how do you think people end up as this being their career choice?

Depends on the personal origin - forced into it, or enticed/chosen profession/pastime?

As an analogy, a lost soul looks for intimacy in a perverted, distorted manner.

As far as a career, the money's good and it's the best some people can do.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,006,825 times
Quote:
I think it's kind of humurous that you would use the term 'career' for prostitution, so do you consider drug dealing to be a career too?

I think the majority of women end up in prostitution due to one of three reasons: lack of self-esteem usually stemming to an absent or abusive father and seeking men to make them feel 'desired', grow up in an environment where it is 'accepted' as part of the culture i.e. Las Vegas, part of some inner cities, etc., or b/c unfortunately there have always been plenty of demand from lots of men willing to pay lots of money for some quick pleasure - and money talks and will lead us to justify doing things that go against our morale psyche. Why work at McDonald's making $7.50/hour, when you can make $100/hour turning tricks?

If your asking if it's right or wrong from a Christian's perspective, well pretty clearly it's wrong based on what the Bible says.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM

11,703 posts, read 3,556,806 times
I agree with Buckeye - different reasons for someone to get into that situation.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,040,354 times
Quote:
I think we should tax it.

I dont' know how they end up that way. Its really not for me to judge.. but they are doing it and I don't see how it harms other people any different than say gambling, drinking, working too much, spending too much money etc yet those things are legal.

Same for marijuana. Tax it.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:36 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,214,686 times
The overwhelming majority of prostitutes (or acts of "prostitution") that June has been aware of have stemmed from desperation. Principally, desperation around drug addiction. June has encountered more women than you would care to know who did whatever they had to, to whomever they had to, just to obtain their next "fix." These were not women that upon first meeting one would necessarily regard or even characterize as "bad." --But from what they have told June, in losing themselves (to their addiction) and in losing themselves (in their desperation) they resorted to that which is otherwise regarded as "bad." -But the undeniable, underlying aspect of what they told June was their desire to just survive. -To the point of being able to someday overcome, and to find hope...Which at the time, seemed impossible; unobtainable.

This also reminded June of something that she had come upon recently. (Please don't let the "context" throw you.)

"Those who have been gripped by the power of the Holy Spirit and are used for God's glory are those who have been broken in their finances, broken in their self-will, broken in their ambitions, broken in their lofty ideals, broken in their worldly reputation, broken in their desires, and broken in their health. Yes, He uses those who are despised by the world and seem totally hopeless and helpless, just as Isaiah said: 'The lame will carry off plunder.' Isaiah 33:23"

When she happened to read that ^ it reminded June of a post she had written long, long ago, in which she said that IF your God, IF your Holy Spirit existed, that she suspected that she would somehow see it most clearly in those women she has encountered in her work...IF June was someone who believed...

Take gentle care.

For K: Wherever today may find her...

Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 PM

43 posts, read 146,163 times
Quote:
how do christians feel about prostitution
First, I think you need to define prostitution. For many years, I showed up for work and did a job that most would call honorable work but I was not happy. I prostitued my time and my labor for money.

I realize you probably meant selling sex for money but I do believe that prostitution involves much more than sex. When I look at it from a broader perspective, I tend to be less judgemental.

Quote:
and how do you think people end up as this being their career choice?
Either in desperation or by some feeling of need, people resort to doing whatever they have to do to get done what they feel like they must get done. Be that eat, protect themselves or buy a new plasma TV.

As stated above, I felt like I needed to support myself and my family in the best way I possibly could by prostituting my time and labor to the highest paying employer.

Today, I am older, my kids are all grown and I've lost that high paying job. Though I knew this in the beginning, I should have worked harder to seek God's will in my life and tried harder to follow His guidance because God is more than generous and will meet our needs if we give our wills to Him. But being young and foolish, I was bought and sold by worldly concerns and involvments. Like most, I ran arround doing what I thought I should be doing and what "The World - satan" made me believe was correct and proper.

This may be a kind of strange way to look at things but as of late, it is what I have come to believe.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,543,972 times
As we know already as Christians that prostitution is illegal in the majority of the states and is immoral as well.

Prostitution is the oldest profession that will never go away,it is initially seen as a way to make alot of money for some women or men maybe who don't have skills or an education so they turn to this.It is very demoralizing to the individual whether you are a high-class prostitute or streetwalker as it is a lack of self-esteem,one is seen as an object of desire and lust as to the one utilizing the service, the prostiute looks at one as a dollar sign or as aforementioned their next fix with drugs. There definitely is no love involved and as time passes one is lost in this world so wrapped up in what they can get out of a person that they go deeper into the mire where one no longer cares for others it is all about themselves.As time passes one comes to hate themselves for who they are.

Obviously one can't be following the Lord when they are prostitutes nor are the people seeking the prostitutes. It takes somebody to say I need to change my life to get out of this terrible way of life of selling my body for money and turn my life over to the Lord and that will come when somebody is at their lowest point in their life at the nadir or the abyss to humble themselves and say Lord I need your help and guidance, I don't want to live this type of life anymore.

The Lord our God is the only answer to escape out of this predicament,this way of life that takes us down the road to perdition. When we seek Him He is there for us and will take care of our needs no matter how big or small.

Last edited by noland123; 10-25-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,214,686 times
After thought:

It is so easy to blame and judge prostitutes.

Far more difficult to think in terms of those, (mostly men) who keep their "profession" in existence and ask what is their responsibility, culpability in terms of the existence of that profession...?

Who is ( to put it in your terms) the greater "sinner" in the overall equation?

Take gentle care.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,259,859 times
Quote:
Quote:

"how do christians feel about prostitution"?..........
My response as to how do we think people end up with this being their careers;
Is simply by choice, we all have the "will do do or not to do a thing", a conscious choice,if you will, from the time that we first come into the world.
In the book of Judges 11:1-2 Jepthah's mother was a prostitute
There were countless concubines (whores) in the Bibles for kings and others
A vast number of females as well as males, were prostitutes, before their conversion to Christendom;
I'm not to judge whomever you are referring to;
sin is sin (my $.02)
Jesus loved us all and died, shed His innocent Blood for prostitutes so it doesn't matter what Christians "feel" about this particular lifestyle, the only thing that should concern anyone is the your well being and your soul;
As far as how one would choose a lifestyle like this? it's like "How could anyone smoke tobacco, be an alcoholic, sell illegal drugs.
it could be for any reason, even if it is to put food on the table and a roof over the heads of the children; or just enjoying these pleasures that the sin of indulgence offer us for a season short of consequences to these acts .
I personally feel the same way I do about anything else, including the things that I have committed in my past. It's time to consider making a change and just give God a chance; most people that are old enough have tried everything else, so why not try Jesus? He will not fail you.
Do you realize how many people that have chose Christianity were ex offenders, murderers, drug dealers and the likes of them? to include prostitutes.
I can give a better example
Here's some cases in Bible history (success stories)
Rahab Ra'hab, or Ra'chab (wide), a celebrated woman of Jericho who received the spies sent by Joshua to spy out the land, hid them in her house from the pursuit of her countrymen, was saved with all her family when the Israelites sacked the city, and became the wife of Salmon and the ancestress of the Messiah. Josh 2:1; Matt 1:5 (b.c. 1450.) She was a "harlot", and probably combined the trade of lodging-keeper for wayfaring men. Her reception of the spies, the artifice by which she concealed them from the king: their escape, and the saving of Rahab and her family at the capture of the city in accordance with their promise, are fold in the narrative of Josh 2. As regards Rahab herself, she probably repented, and we learn from Matt 1:5 that she became the wife of Salmon the son of Naasson, and the mother of Boaz, Jesse's grandfather. The author of the Epistle to the Hebrews tells us that "by faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace," Hebr 11:31 and St. James fortifies his doctrine of justification by works by asking, "Was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?" Jame 2:25
—Smith's Bible Dictionary
the other was
Mary Magdalene Ma'ry Magdalene. Different explanations have been given of this name; but the most natural is that she came from the town of Magdala. She appears before us for the first time in Luke 8:2 among the women who "ministered unto him of their substance." All appear to have occupied a position of comparative wealth. With all the chief motive was that of gratitude for their deliverance from "evil spirits and infirmities." Of Mary it is said specially that "seven devils went out of her," and the number indicates a possession of more than ordinary malignity. She was present during the closing hours of the agony on the cross. John 19:25 She remained by the cross till all was over, and waited till the body was taken down and placed in the garden sepulchre of Joseph of Arimathæa, Matt 27:61; Mark 15:47; Luke 23:55 when she, with Salome and Mary the mother of James, "bought sweet spices that they might come and anoint" the body. Mark 16:1 The next morning accordingly. in the earliest dawn, Matt 28:1; Mark 16:2 they came with Mary the mother of James to the sepulchre. Mary Magdalene had been to the tomb and had found it empty, and had seen the "vision of angels." Matt 28:5; Mark 16:6 To her first of all Jesus appeared after his resurrection. John 20:14, 15 Mary Magdalene has become the type of a class of repentant sinners; but there is no authority for identifying her with the "sinner" who anointed the feet of Jesus in Luke 7:36-50 neither is there any authority for the supposition that Mary Magdalene is the same as the sister of Lazarus. Neither of these theories has the slightest foundation in fact.
—Smith's Bible Dictionary

Thanks for being patient and reading most if not all of my post,
I apologize for the length., just wanted to share a couple of examples
for those who are actively struggling with prostitution.
Just want you to know that Jesus is bigger than your sins;
and will wipe your slate clean if you want to say yes to Him....
God Bless you

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-25-2008 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity