U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,377,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMALIVINGSTONE View Post
Seems the Spirit is "Who we are" the self is more physical.
I am not me in the physical but I am me in the spiritual.
Any takers to discuss
So, our soul is who we are but our body is not? Our mind is not who we are because it is part of our physical body? The mind is all we have when it comes to thinking, and denying self takes thought (how else would you do it?). How can we deny our mind if we have to use our mind to do so?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,343,585 times
Moderator cut: edited

I can acknowledge my flaws and stuff and pray that goodness take over but I refuse to see myself as evil and completely no good....

You are saying I should be in the darkness and that means what? I should be miserable? That is what Christ and God wanted?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-26-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM

sounds like control and manipulation....first confuse people and make them feel no good, take away their intellect, and then all power is at the oppressors fingertips.... that is why Christianity has been on a major decline trend for about a decade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So, our soul is who we are but our body is not? Our mind is not who we are because it is part of our physical body? The mind is all we have when it comes to thinking, and denying self takes thought (how else would you do it?). How can we deny our mind if we have to use our mind to do so?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
sigh...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 10,060 times
Our brain is a temple for our thoughts just as our body is a temple for our spirit.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,302,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
"trying to post while answering phones"

The nature of man is opposed to God. This nature is referred to in scripture as "the flesh". The flesh consists of the carnal mind (which is the enemy of God, reasoning in natural ways the course of this life) and the lusts of life. Basically, you're the master of your destiny and you have to look out for #1.

The spirit of man was suppressed at The Fall, when "our eyes were opened, and we became like God(s)" as the serpent claimed we would. Our senses became the master, and our spirits became subservient. This is the soul realm, which is all we know.

When we are born again, our spirits are joined with God's spirit - but we're left with the "old man", who's still indoctrinated with things the way they are. The spirit of a man is to be the master, but the soul still wants to rule. His spirit cries "Abba", but his nature rebels against the "beatitudes" - everything Christ personifies is contrary to what we are.

So the process begins. He showed us, then He called us to grab our tree and do it too...and you'd be surprised how God kills the flesh.

Anyway, what exactly kills the flesh? Our cooperation includes:

God's tools for killing the flesh includes embarrassment, frustration, dryness in spirit, etc. The biggy is darkness...we don't like the dark.

What's the purpose of denying self? Being conformed into His image. Freedom from everything, kinda like the Matrix, only on a much bigger scale.
Fantastic post, elmer!! Sorry folks, you cannot get a better explanation of dying to self than this. It's just a matter of whether you choose to do so and follow Jesus' instructions/teachings.

And to answer the op...yes, denial of self is taught in the Bible by Jesus.

The following scripture alone is repeated in Matthew 16, Mark 8 and Luke 9 and is spoken by Jesus Himself.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."

I've bolded the subtle differences in each verse.
For Jesus to say it Himself in almost exactly the same words 3 times in three different books of the Bible makes it of utmost importance to our salvation, I would say.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 PM

I still do not comprehend any of that gibberish. I'm not trying to be rude but it sounds like nonsense. Describe "deny himself" what is that exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Fantastic post, elmer!! Sorry folks, you cannot get a better explanation of dying to self than this. It's just a matter of whether you choose to do so and follow Jesus' instructions/teachings.

And to answer the op...yes, denial of self is taught in the Bible by Jesus.

The following scripture alone is repeated in Matthew 16, Mark 8 and Luke 9 and is spoken by Jesus Himself.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."

I've bolded the subtle differences in each verse.
For Jesus to say it Himself in almost exactly the same words 3 times in three different books of the Bible makes it of utmost importance to our salvation, I would say.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I still do not comprehend any of that gibberish. I'm not trying to be rude but it sounds like nonsense. Describe "deny himself" what is that exactly?
That's why I asked you if you were a Christian - not to choose sides, but asking if you had entered into the place of living it. The things of God are not known of man, but of the Spirit of God.

Quote:
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:14)
No offense.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM

LOL yes I am Christian!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's why I asked you if you were a Christian - not to choose sides, but asking if you had entered into the place of living it. The things of God are not known of man, but of the Spirit of God.

No offense.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
LOL yes I am Christian!!!
Oh, ok.

This message isn't taught from the majority of pulpits in America, as the message of prosperity appeals to what? Our flesh, of course.

I've seen first hand how a church body can splinter over this teaching. The way of the Cross is a hard one, but a blessed one. Not many are willing to bow their head, and be "harnessed of the Lord".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity