U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,491,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
If you are not a Christian, why are you participating in Christian discussions? Your responses are rude and sarcastic, and have nothing to do with the op. I rely on what the Bible says, not what others say. All the so-called "logic" and head knowledge in the world won't save you from eternal hellfire, only Jesus Christ can do that.

Part of self-denial is humbling ourselves and realizing that the God that created us detests arrogance and requires reverence. This world and the people in it are deluded into thinking they are important somehow, and they are not. That is one of Satan's tricks, but this world and it's people are all about God and His plan. Giving Him control is the only way to be happy in this life and to live blissfully forever in the next life. Nothing else matters.

Is it time NorthSouth to shake the dust off of your feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,140,783 times
I think this is where people can become conflicted in their own spirituality. They "deny" themselve's or sacrifice their true dreams or desires, because they think that's what God want's them to do aka "carrying the cross". In return they become martyrs in their own world, hyper-sensitive and easily offended.

I think we are happier when we focus more on being true to ourselves, rather than denying ourselves. That's not to say that some things are not good for us, but it's an individual choice. For instance, I don't watch television or drink alcohol because I don't believe those are good for me, some could say I'm denying myself. But I believe that I am being true to myself because not exposing myself to those acts brings me closer to God. We all have choices and not all choices are the right fit for everyone, we have to customize our lives not duplicate.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:01 AM

11,918 posts, read 14,112,466 times
Quote:
And as far as the comment about death being the remedy;
Christ conquered "death, Hell and the grave" at the cross
We will just be sleeping only at the cessation of life in our mortal bodies, and
translated into a new life not death;
please forgive me if I have somehow misconstrued what you were saying
Hi Yhwhshalomjr,

What I get from what little elmer shared is that we must die to the flesh, to the old man. We will have new life , and we are a new creation, but the old man, the flesh must die. God bless.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,912,092 times
God gave the human animal the capacity to think. Self-denial is you not giving you what you want. There is a difference between want and need. If the five basic needs of life are met, then everything else is want -including spirituality and the capacity to learn. Few of us are born with either.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,571,410 times
Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lust of men, but for the will of God. (1 Peter 4:1-2)

Here is wisdom. Who have ears, let them hear. Yes, we must die to self. Through one man sin enter into the world. One thing that we can be sure of is, we are all carrying that gene, SIN!

But thank God he has made it possible for us to be born again. Here's how: Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom
of God.
"That which is born of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
"Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
"the wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." ( John 3:5-8)

Yes, Christ preached denial of self, or He shed His blood for nothing; and if that's the case, we ought to be able to save ourselves. I know I could'nt, can you?

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,474,120 times
Is posting on the internet a part of the self that you have to deny? You use your physical body to do it..

Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Is posting on the internet a part of the self that you have to deny? You use your physical body to do it..
Not if you're truly on here in hopes of winning souls to the Lord. Are you a believer in Christ Jesus?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,307,929 times
The 5 basic needs include esteem and self actualization or did Jesus or Moses specify another 5 basic needs that I do not know about?

Also if I want candy and go buy myself candy am I sinning against God?

And don't these quotes from the bible contradict what some of you are saying???

May the Lord continually bless you with heaven's blessings as well as with human joys."- Psalms 128:5

All of us must realize we are our "brother's keepers." We are to look out for the interests of others (Phil. 2:4) and to esteem others better than self (Phil. 2:3). We must love one another (1 John 4:7).

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you (John 13:34). While the older brother seemed to love his father, his lack of love for his brother showed otherwise. The Christian may claim to love God but if, out of selfishness, he does not love his brother, he, in reality, does not love God (1 John 4:20-21).

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
God gave the human animal the capacity to think. Self-denial is you not giving you what you want. There is a difference between want and need. If the five basic needs of life are met, then everything else is want -including spirituality and the capacity to learn. Few of us are born with either.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-26-2008 at 10:14 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,474,120 times
This concept reminds me a lot of the Four Noble Truths in Buddhism.
  1. Life as we know it ultimately is or leads to suffering (dukkha) in one way or another.
  2. Suffering is caused by craving or attachments to worldly pleasures of all kinds. This is often expressed as a deluded clinging to a certain sense of existence, to selfhood, or to the things or people that we consider the cause of happiness or unhappiness.
  3. Suffering ends when craving ends, when one is freed from desire. This is achieved by eliminating all delusion, thereby reaching a liberated state of Enlightenment (bodhi);
  4. Reaching this liberated state is achieved by following the path laid out by the Buddha.
~from Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,864,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
This concept reminds me a lot of the Four Noble Truths in Buddhism.
Anything of truth has its counterfeit counterpart. Deception will turn away many, it's what we're following that's important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity