U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:35 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,613,017 times

Advertisements

Prov 22:6 - "Train [a] a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it."

If this verse is true, why are most young people today, even those raised in born-again Christian homes, rejecting Christianity when they get college-aged? I believe the mass apostasy we are seeing today is unique to this generation. Do you think this generation will discover God again when they grow older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,554,659 times
Unique to this generation?Did you miss the '60's/'70's?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM

21,422 posts, read 29,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

If this verse is true, why are most young people today, even those raised in born-again Christian homes, rejecting Christianity when they get college-aged? I believe the mass apostasy we are seeing today is unique to this generation. Do you think this generation will discover God again when they grow older?
It doesn't say they won't depart from the right path for a while, I believe the verse is true, they will return to the truth.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,495 times
I live in a university town so I see the wonderful movement of God on our campus. We have Inter-varsity, Navigators and Campus Crusade on the campus. It's the biggest Campus Crusade in the country and they get over 600 to the weekly meetings.
It's interesting with that verse. I heard a speaker, I think it was Chuck Swindoll, who said in the greek the verse says,
Train up a child in the way he is already going and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Meaning each child has a "bent" or a given personality and you as parents encourage him given his gifts and talents to be his best.
I can see with our own children that some of them have gone their own way. One went through a sort of wild period in CA and then when he was about 30 started back with a great church and now has a deep walk with God. He is 37 now.
Another one, 30, gave his life to Christ as a young person and now says he is an atheist. Of course breaks my heart but I am trusting God through his love to bring him back to Himself.
My parents became Christians in their 50's and one of my brothers about 40. So as we age I think we start to think of things differently. I look at my dad in his late 80's and he says the more he studies the more he believes.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,470,651 times
I agree with this :

"Train up a child in the way he is already going and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I have seen too many church member's children go their own way....

Old 10-24-2008, 07:48 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,416,101 times
I think there is caution with an extreme protectiveness I see in many extremely religoius parents - just as the immune system seems to need some germs to function, the child needs some exposure to the real world and a chance to make mistakes.

My daughters grew up to be women I am proud of [though on is currently agnostic she is searching for truth and as such, I pray every night she will find it] but ethically, morally, good kids.

Several of ther friends brought up in very very strict homes [things like no halloween, no Christmas, spied on, not trusted, etc] went wild when they got old enough to have some freedom and did not have an ability to know when to stop.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,454,539 times
Because we are living in the last days. 2 Timothy Chapter 3.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I live in a university town so I see the wonderful movement of God on our campus. We have Inter-varsity, Navigators and Campus Crusade on the campus. It's the biggest Campus Crusade in the country and they get over 600 to the weekly meetings.
It's interesting with that verse. I heard a speaker, I think it was Chuck Swindoll, who said in the greek the verse says,
Train up a child in the way he is already going and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Meaning each child has a "bent" or a given personality and you as parents encourage him given his gifts and talents to be his best.
I can see with our own children that some of them have gone their own way. One went through a sort of wild period in CA and then when he was about 30 started back with a great church and now has a deep walk with God. He is 37 now.
Another one, 30, gave his life to Christ as a young person and now says he is an atheist. Of course breaks my heart but I am trusting God through his love to bring him back to Himself.
My parents became Christians in their 50's and one of my brothers about 40. So as we age I think we start to think of things differently. I look at my dad in his late 80's and he says the more he studies the more he believes.
Maybe the key words here are "when he is old"

Old 10-24-2008, 09:36 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,258,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I believe the verse is true, either way you wish to phrase it. Why do so many leave? Because they're not given proper tools, IMO, to discern for themselves, to make choices and decisions for themselves and, a big reason in my eyes, is they're not given the proper biblical foundation for their faith.

Children are inquisitive. They want to know the "whys" and "how comes" about everything, including the faith they're being taught. Too often many rely upon "because the Bible says so". While that is okay, more detailed explanations may be necessary. Unfortunately, there are some Christians out there who aren't equipped to defend their faith. Kids who always hear "because it said so" get tired of that answer and figure there must not be an answer. Once they start to believe there's no real answers, they figure it's just a bunch of hooey and figure the non-believers have it all figured out. This is especially true with the more controversial parts of the bible (Genesis for example). Kids are quick and connect the dots real fast that if some parts of the bible can be taken "figuratively" or not to mean what it plainly says in some parts, then why are the other parts true and who decides which parts are which? I've seen it happen.

It's a matter of balance in other areas of life as well. I agree with the over-strict, overbearing statements above. Kids need to know what the world is like and what's out there that's gonna slap them in the face. They need to be prepared to deal with it and know how to make good decisions and why they are the right decisions. Kids need to know that even if they do make mistakes, that it can be fixed, and above all they're still loved.

In my family, we six kids were all raised in the church and with a knowledge of God and Christianity. All of us strayed for a while .. different lengths of time for different kids. We're all now in our 30s and early 40s and we've all come home to roost. Glory be to God!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Hey I strayed away for 16 years! But Praise God I came back to the truth I knew!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or