Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

For 10 years, they were a lousy team with a fiendish nickname: the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Then the club exorcised the "Devil" from its name, and suddenly Tampa Bay is in the World Series.

Was it the hitting, the pitching, the coaching — or the hand of God?

A Heavenly Result for Devil-Less Tampa Bay Rays| Christianpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
These kinds of stories drive me nuts.

What about Duke?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I was thinking about this as well, I believe it's just coincidence, but it's interesting to think about anyway.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
What does it mean if they lose the World Series? Just curious...

Old 10-25-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What does it mean if they lose the World Series? Just curious...
It means Philadelphia won more games.

That's pretty much it...at least relative to this story.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For 10 years, they were a lousy team with a fiendish nickname: the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Then the club exorcised the "Devil" from its name, and suddenly Tampa Bay is in the World Series.

Was it the hitting, the pitching, the coaching — or the hand of God?

A Heavenly Result for Devil-Less Tampa Bay Rays| Christianpost.com
It never ceases to amaze me how sports Celebrities, Teams , etc give credit to Almighty God for the win or celebrity status of an individual, but from all appearances God is an absolute failure to bring world peace, eliminate poverty, make diseases disppear, etc.

Does God really care more about a sports team or one of it's stars, than he does world events???

Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Does God really care more about a sports team or one of it's stars, than he does world events???[/b]
No not more, but I think He is equally involved in all of our lives on a personal level we'll never fully understand.

Honestly though, that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about a teams name having some divine implication on their success.

The Duke Blue Devils blow that theory away and even larger than that is the Rays were named after one of God's creations.....so....what's up with that anyway?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:06 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
No not more, but I think He is equally involved in all of our lives on a personal level we'll never fully understand.

Honestly though, that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about a teams name having some divine implication on their success.

The Duke Blue Devils blow that theory away and even larger than that is the Rays were named after one of God's creations.....so....what's up with that anyway?
I think your taking it a little to seriously. It's just an interesting thing to think about, but ultimately it's just coincidence. The Rays were a young team that was up and coming so they probably are in this position regardless of the name change.

It's just a neat little story to think about that also involves a little humor as well. Plus as a Christian it's nice to see the team win after they remove Devil from the name even if it's just coincidence.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I think your taking it a little to seriously. It's just an interesting thing to think about, but ultimately it's just coincidence. The Rays were a young team that was up and coming so they probably are in this position regardless of the name change.

It's just a neat little story to think about that also involves a little humor as well. Plus as a Christian it's nice to see the team win after they remove Devil from the name even if it's just coincidence.
Maybe I am taking it too seriously.

Lately it seems there's an element of society that just takes every opportunity to poke fun and harass Christians for some of their beliefs and convictions. Maybe you haven't seen some of those threads and posts here.

There's one on the main R&P forum right now and it was even started by someone that claims to be Christian.

So when I see stories like this I roll my eyes and think "why do we do this to ourselves?"

That's all.

I don't really have anything else to say on the subject.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
What happened to the Saints?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity