U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 AM

398 posts, read 524,194 times
I have to say that if it had happened to me, I'm one of the ones who would have been creeped out by it and would probably just have done the, "Thanks, but no thanks." I tend to be a VERY private person and you know that whole "Personal Bubble" thing? I definitely like my bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,313,458 times
I have not been in a church before that has done this but our new one does now. I was raised Methodist and Presy. We go to a non-denominational church which is probably middle of the line. When they deditcate leaders they do this in front of the congregation. The leadership team comes up, puts their hands on the new person and they pray for them. When we sent our mission's group to Peru they did this also. I thought it was very nice. It shows caring, just touching connects you to that person. I found it made me really focus on my prayers to that person. I was upset one night in my small group and they stopped and all got up and came over and laid hands on me and really prayed for my problems. I felt a real move in my spirit of kindness, caring, and God's touch. Having not grown up this way it did seem a bit strange at first but it certainly is Biblically based.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,813,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I have to say that if it had happened to me, I'm one of the ones who would have been creeped out by it and would probably just have done the, "Thanks, but no thanks." I tend to be a VERY private person and you know that whole "Personal Bubble" thing? I definitely like my bubble.
You sure we're not twins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I have not been in a church before that has done this but our new one does now. I was raised Methodist and Presy. We go to a non-denominational church which is probably middle of the line. When they deditcate leaders they do this in front of the congregation. The leadership team comes up, puts their hands on the new person and they pray for them. When we sent our mission's group to Peru they did this also. I thought it was very nice. It shows caring, just touching connects you to that person. I found it made me really focus on my prayers to that person. I was upset one night in my small group and they stopped and all got up and came over and laid hands on me and really prayed for my problems. I felt a real move in my spirit of kindness, caring, and God's touch. Having not grown up this way it did seem a bit strange at first but it certainly is Biblically based.
I understand that it is Biblically based, and thats just fine.

I disagree that it shows caring. Just because they touch you doesnt mean they really give a hoot.
Different people like different things ,though if situations were reversed all those hands on me would have hurt my concentration on prayers, not helped. Id have been thinking the whole time

" Eew..get off me..off off off...please can we get this over with so these hands will come off me"
It sounds funny but I know thats what Id be thinking. I didnt know Methodists did this. Ive never run into a Methodist service that did that.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 AM

376 posts, read 820,775 times
We attend a Southern Baptist church and they are very much into the laying on of hands when the Spirit leads. They did this with my husband and I before my husband left for Iraq last winter, they do it for missions teams, people in crisis, whenever the Lord leads them to do it. I was first made aware of this church being in our town years ago when a lady walked up to me at Long John Silvers of all places and introduced herself by saying "I feel the Lord leading me to talk with you." The people in our church run the gamut comfort level wise, but they are for the most part very open to the leading of the Spirit.

In the shoes of the OP I would have felt very blessed and renewed, but just a decade ago I would have been icked out and scared I'd been cornered by some weird cult type person. I love my bubble but I have also learned to be open and accepting of the gifts God has in store for me {with a fair measure of caution and gauging situations for safety}

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,813,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
We attend a Southern Baptist church and they are very much into the laying on of hands when the Spirit leads. They did this with my husband and I before my husband left for Iraq last winter, they do it for missions teams, people in crisis, whenever the Lord leads them to do it. I was first made aware of this church being in our town years ago when a lady walked up to me at Long John Silvers of all places and introduced herself by saying "I feel the Lord leading me to talk with you." The people in our church run the gamut comfort level wise, but they are for the most part very open to the leading of the Spirit.

In the shoes of the OP I would have felt very blessed and renewed, but just a decade ago I would have been icked out and scared I'd been cornered by some weird cult type person. I love my bubble but I have also learned to be open and accepting of the gifts God has in store for me {with a fair measure of caution and gauging situations for safety}
Sheez...I swear Ive never seen these things in either a Southern Baptist or a Methodist church 'round here.
Im all for being open to the Lord and doing what He tells me to ( most times He doesnt give me much choice about it lol)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,517,027 times
I believe in 'laying of hands' BUT

I only have people I know do that.

If I don't know them then I dont allow them to lay hands on me.

I dont want nobody I dont know laying hands on me or my family!

If Christians believe that something 'good' can be imparted to another person when laying hands, then what if the person isn't a Christian or isn't right with God?

I dont need their demons

Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM

4,271 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Default I second that..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
It should be pointed out that though the laying on of hands is an inseparable part of Church doctrine, it is not the only means of ministering to the sick. Sometimes prayer in privacy is in order, even when the sick person is miles away.

With GOD, all things are possible. The key is to walk in the SPIRIT and be guided by Him. Then, He will instruct us how to help the sick.

Walking up to someone and praying for them with the laying on of hands, is not always the thing to do, especially if that person does not want to be prayed for in that manner. I don't recall the LORD JESUS ever forcing healing upon anyone. But He healed all those who believed in him and who wanted His help. Sometimes He touched the sick. Sometimes He simply commanded them to be healed or raised from the dead from a distance.
Beautiful, God Bless you. Could'nt have said it any better.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

10,833 posts, read 12,193,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
0,o
.....they speak in tongues?? Like, do you mean that the preacher could be preaching and then all of a sudden busts out talking in another language??

Please forgive my ignorance. As Ive already stated, I know very little of the workings outside of the denominations I was born into.
So I guess through this thread Im trying to educate myself a bit more.
Yes, except it's no language any human can understand, so take that nugget and do what you want with it. Sometimes they wave their hands in the air, or jump up and down in a trance, or writhe on the floor - IModerator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 10-27-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,227,671 times
Well i understand and accept the concept of 'laying on of hands' there is no way i would want someone i barely knew to do it,especially in a workplace setting.If i had a desire for something of this nature i would handle it through my own church.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

116 posts, read 195,976 times
That'd be like me saying, "Well, Obama comes from a Muslim background, BTW." It's really unnecessary.

The laying on of hands doesn't mean that the one laying hands on someone else has any sort of power over the person they're laying hands on. And it also doesn't mean that the person having hands laid on them can "inherit" any sort of demons from the other person. The argument, honestly, sounds so much like, "They have aids! There's no way I'm gonna let them touch me!" when we all know you can't get aids from an infected person simply when they touch you. It's done simply because it garners results. God has the power to heal, and he uses the prayers of his people as a conductor for that power. It doesn't mean those people are powerful, just faithful. And why would they take the time to pray for you, especially in a public place where critical people can be hateful and mocking, if they didn't care? Prayer is not an easy thing to do when you know people can hear you. It takes moxy. And it's a rare person these days that'll do something like that in a public place. If I did, you can BET it's because I care. I wouldn't put myself out there otherwise.

Anyway, being prayed for, especially by the laying on of hands, isn't something you need to fear. Yes, it's beyond the realm of normal in this society, but that doesn't make it bad. On the contrary, it's quite a blessing to have someone pray for you like that. God really is a powerful God. And he really does use the prayer of his people to exercise that power. If someone asked if they could lay hands on me and pray for me, even in tongues, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd let them. Speaking from experience, it's gotten me nothing but results and healing.

Playing "devil's advocate", what can prayer (even laying on of hands) hurt? If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But if it DOES.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity