U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
So Rick is bad because of what he doesn't say?

got it...

I think this is a good example of why we shouldn't judge falsely...


godspeed,

freedom
I just said, what he doesn't say but you aren't listening and that's the problem with many in the church today.

R-E-P-E-N-T-A-N-C-E

We go out and witness only to come across people who say, I am already saved. When we ask why? I ask God into my heart and the rest of it is a mess. We clearly see these people do not understand the gospel rightly? but because some minister or person led them in a Lord's prayer, they are Christian?

That is not even biblical.

Rick Warren and Joel Olstein never preach about repentance, a intricate component in being born again.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-27-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,249,184 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We are bribing people into the church, people who do not belong or are ready.
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. I Peter 3:9
So you say some people don't belong in church.

I Peter says God doesn't want anyone to perish but for everyone to come to repentance.

So, since your words (people who don't belong) contradict the Bible (not wanting anyone to perish), I guess we can throw you into the same false teaching boat with Warren.

Because, you see, that's what you are doing to him.

You are taking something he wrote with a certain goal in mind (edification and exhortation of God's people) and applying a different goal and standard (doesn't meet your personal opinion of an evangelical standard).

Tell Rick I said 'Hey" and "Thanks for PDL" at your next "What We Didn't Say" convention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,249,184 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I just said, what he doesn't say but you aren't listening and that's the problem with many in the church today.

R-E-P-E-N-T-A-N-C-E

We go out and witness only to come across people who say, I am already saved. When we ask why? I ask God into my heart and the rest of it is a mess. We clearly see these people do not understand the gospel rightly? but because some minister or person led them in a Lord's prayer, they are Christian?

That is not even biblical.

Rick Warren and Joel Olstein never preach about repentance, a intricate component in being born again.
You lie about your fellow brothers and sisters, Fundamentalist.

I provided you with several quotes from Warren's book.

Can you please tell me what this phrase means:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Quotes from the Purpose Drive Life, please point out to us which ones are not accurate, are false teachings, and drivel:
""God is more interested in making your life Holy than He is in making your life happy."
It was the very first one, so it might have been hard to miss.

Also, you might not consider 'Holy living' to require repentance. They are synonymous to me. Please correct me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. I Peter 3:9
So you say some people don't belong in church.

I Peter says God doesn't want anyone to perish but for everyone to come to repentance.

So, since your words (people who don't belong) contradict the Bible (not wanting anyone to perish), I guess we can throw you into the same false teaching boat with Warren.

Because, you see, that's what you are doing to him.

You are taking something he wrote with a certain goal in mind (edification and exhortation of God's people) and applying a different goal and standard (doesn't meet your personal opinion of an evangelical standard).

Tell Rick I said 'Hey" and "Thanks for PDL" at your next "What We Didn't Say" convention.
No God doesn't want anyone to perish.....

That's why the Great Commission is important!!!!! You go out to witness to people to come to church, something in them wants to go on the Word of God, these people are ready!

Not the ones who we bribe to come to church with free gas and free ipods, coming for the wrong reasons, "The ends doesn't justify the means" that is wrong and not biblical! "separate the "wheat from the chaff" and the "sheep from the goats," They are not ready yet you bring them in a house of worship. I heard a minister say, the church is a boat and unbelievers are water, bring enough water in and your boat will sink.

Church is for believers first and foremost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,249,184 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That's why the Great Commission is important!!!!! You go out to witness to people to come to church, something in them wants to go on the Word of God, these people are ready!

Not the ones who we bribe to come to church with free gas and free ipods, coming for the wrong reasons, "The ends doesn't justify the means" that is wrong and not biblical! "separate the "wheat from the chaff" and the "sheep from the goats," They are not ready yet you bring them in a house of worship. I heard a minister say, the church is a boat and unbelievers are water, bring enough water in and your boat will sink.

Church is for believers first and foremost.
Man, you've gone from a bit over the top to downright dishonest.

Care to share where PDL suggests any of the things you are now arguing about?

You've had at least two people now tell you that reading this book called them to a higher standard and helped them grow closer to the Lord.

You do know where good fruit comes from, don't you?

Do you read your bible on a regular basis?

What did you read about this morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Man, you've gone from a bit over the top to downright dishonest.

Care to share where PDL suggests any of the things you are now arguing about?

You've had at least two people now tell you that reading this book called them to a higher standard and helped them grow closer to the Lord.

You do know where good fruit comes from, don't you?

Do you read your bible on a regular basis?

What did you read about this morning?
Man! I have no clue what you are talking about. My last comment is based on what you just said, not Rick Warren.

Back to Warren.........
Rick Warren doesn't preach on "repentance" something you and I were discussing the other day. you were criticizing Paul Washer but Rick Warren doesn't use it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 454,230 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Try preaching the ENTIRE gospel. It is the love and the wrath. God hates sin therefore He must punish sin because He is just, a just God would not let sin go unpunished therefore He would not let any of us go but God is also love that He sent His Son to die for us. Jesus steppped in and paid our fine. Jesus took the wrath that was meant for us because God hates sin. We should never go to Jesus because we are afraid of hell but rather we go to him because what He did for us so that we didn't have to go to such a horrible place.

That's the way Paul preached it. That's the gospel.
God (Yahweh the one true God of Israel - salvation is of the Jews) never promised hell for the wages of sin - it was death.

Gods (Yahwehs) commandments are love HIM with your heart soul spirit and love your neighbour as yourself.

You think you are horrible, dispicable and vile - you think your neighbour is horrible, dispicable and vile - where is the love that we are commanded to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
God (Yahweh the one true God of Israel - salvation is of the Jews) never promised hell for the wages of sin - it was death.

Gods (Yahwehs) commandments are love HIM with your heart soul spirit and love your neighbour as yourself.

You think you are horrible, dispicable and vile - you think your neighbour is horrible, dispicable and vile - where is the love that we are commanded to have?
I am not even about to get in a hell debate with ya' wrong thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,249,184 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Man! I have no clue what you are talking about. My last comment is based on what you just said, not Rick Warren.

Back to Warren.........
Rick Warren doesn't preach on "repentance" something you and I were discussing the other day. you were criticizing Paul Washer but Rick Warren doesn't use it at all.
OK OK OK

Let me slow down and just ask you one final question:

Didn't you say you just got saved earlier this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK OK OK

Let me slow down and just ask you one final question:

Didn't you say you just got saved earlier this year?
I am the son of a Pentecostal Minister, I have been to church probably more times....... I bought into the seeker sensitive movement, bribed friends to come to church, we got good looking girls, games, cool music etc.... I hated fire and brimstone preaching, thought that the Church needed to become more relevant so I bought into the Rick Warrens and Tony Campolas. I was against the war because we mean Christians were killing poor Muslims, thought that the Great Commission was misinterpreted, that it was only for the disciples. I thought fundamentalist were finatics and actually thought homosexuals would go to heaven because a loving, caring God wouldn't send good people to hell.

I wasn't saved at all until I heard an excellent sermon "Hell's best kept secret" The Way of the Master
I realized the Truth.

That we are to do what Jesus did, Seek and save that which is lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top