Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Tell ya what, I'll pull this book that helped change my life and get me focused on Christ and pull my quotes directly from it myself without having to use 3rd party websites and other folks opinions.

Your ignorance on the purpose of the book is amazing. It is not written for the lost but for those who CLAIM to be Christian.

You know, the ones that sit back and tell everyone else what's wrong with their lives and the way they do things....surely you know one or two of those folks.
I got saved on a bad movie.your point, the book didn't change your life it was God. People have been saved through bad sermons, bad teaching etc.....

Doesn't negate the fact that book is dribble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
......the book didn't change your life it was God........
Quote me where I said otherwise.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Rick Warren is a universalist who pretty much considers the gospel to be irrelevant. He will never say it but pretty much hints that all roads lead to God. He gets caught in feeding the poor, and AIDS but forgets the most important thing such as seeking and saving the lost!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Rick Warren is a universalist who pretty much considers the gospel to be irrelevant. He will never say it but pretty much hints that all roads lead to God. He gets caught in feeding the poor, and AIDS but forgets the most important thing such as seeking and saving the lost!!!!!!!!
I am waiting. You wanna go toe to toe with me on heresy. I am all for it by the way Bill Maher loves Rick Warren.....hmmmmm.I wonder why?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Quotes from the Purpose Drive Life, please point out to us which ones are not accurate, are false teachings, and drivel:
""God is more interested in making your life Holy than He is in making your life happy."

""We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ likeness."

""No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on."

""And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for."

"It also brought a lot of notoriety that I had never had to deal with before. I don't think God gives you money or notoriety for your own ego or for you to live a life of ease. So I began to ask God what He wanted me to do with this money, notoriety and influence. He gave me two different passages that helped me decide what to do, II Corinthians 9 and Psalm 72.

First, in spite of all the money coming in, we would not change our lifestyle one bit. We made no major purchases.

Second, about midway through last year, I stopped taking a salary from the church.

Third, we set up foundations to fund an initiative we call The Peace Plan to plant churches, equip leaders, assist the poor, care for the sick, and educate the next generation.

Fourth, I added up all that the church had paid me in the 24 years since I started the church, and I gave it all back. It was liberating to be able to serve God for free."

"When I get up in the morning, I sit on the side of my bed and say, God, if I don't get anything else done today, I want to know You more and love You better ..."
So I'll just say if your 'gospel' and 'Christian walk' if different from what Warren is calling Christians to be and do, then yeah, I'll take his over yours.

Because his is HIS and yours is yours.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Do you know any pastors?
Yep
Quote:
Do you even go to church?
Yep
Quote:
Have you been at a council meeting for pastors?
I serve on our worship committee for our church. Does that count? If so.
Yep.
Quote:
Have you been at a church board meeting?
Yep
Quote:
Have you ever been to a pastors conference seminar?
Nope.

Care to explain your point? Or is it just more of the same .. i.e. your opinion.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM

awwww that is just so sweet. Makes me want to cry, unfortunately that is not the entire gospel. Many people are headed for hell because they read this "drivel"

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

How does this help Christians being persecuted? how about a mommy who just lost her baby?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I don't recall any Universalism in Purpose Driven Life. And if he never says it, as you say, then is there a chance you are misinterpreting his so-called 'hints'.

Also, I didn't mean to hurt you in my comments and will edit them accordingly. You just need to realize that your opinions on others that profess the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior put you on some very dangerous ground.

I believe the Pharisees accused Christ of being of the devil.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Quote:
Do you know any pastors?
Do you even go to church?
Have you been at a council meeting for pastors?
Have you been at a church board meeting?

Have you ever been to a pastors conference seminar?

I know it wasn't directed at me, but just curious, but, what does it matter? I go to church sometimes (you'll have to look back at some of my old posts about being in the "God Limbo" place). I know plenty of Pastors. I've never been to a council meeting for pastors (not exactly sure what that is, either). I have never been to a board meeting for my church, and honestly don't want to 'cause I don't like politics and I'm too busy with other stuff...but once again, I'm gonna ask...WHAT DOES IT MATTER?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity