U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,817,551 times
Reputation: 58199

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Personally, it bugs the crap out of me when Christians get all zealous and try to convert everyone they see. Just leave people alone! If this God who can do absolutely anything wanted to save people, he would tell them himself. He wouldn't let them trust other people, since he knows people are fallible and 'get it wrong' more often than not. And he knows all, right? so of course he knows that depending on where you are born, you may become a very devout Muslim, or Jew! or.. an atheist! ooohhhh!! Heaven forbid, right? But nope, heaven does not forbid.

There are 6 billion people in this world, and only 2 billion are Christian. This all-loving god really thinks it's best to let the other 2/3 of the world suffer eternally in hell?
You've said that before. How do you suppose those 2 billion people (If that is a correct number) became Christians? It was because someone brought them the gospel of Jesus Christ. I realize that it irritates "the crap" out of unbelievers, but my hope is in the fact that you are here because that tells me you are searching.

You may think you are here just to irritate "the crap" out of Christians, but we know better. I pray that the Holy Spirit begins a good work in you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,589,737 times
Reputation: 968
Great posts in this thread, Christians!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm here at CD for the "great Commission". Is it working out like I had hoped? No, but I can't see the far reaching results like God can. The flesh part of me wants to save the world and see instant results, but the spiritual part knows that all I am in control of is planting the seed.
Very good point. We cannot see the far-reaching results, and perhaps may never see any results of our work. We are planting seeds, as you said.

Quote:
I have a heavy conviction to lead others to Christ, but I am limited as to what I can do. So the internet is my only outlet for Christ. My conviction is so strong that I get very frustrated with my situation and limited abilities. I can only pray to God that He will use me however He sees fit. I have the will and the desire, but not the means and that is very frustrating at times.
I agree that we need to have a passion for Christ and helping lost souls, but a question popped into my mind when I read this.. doesn't God provide the means, open the doors, if He gives us a conviction? Or do we need to force open doors? Isn't this where the frustration sometimes lies?

I know it does with me.. I have some family and friends who I believe are not saved. I have a burden for their souls. And yet, I know that I can only reach them as God opens the door. Sometimes I feel like just laying it all out, but I know that this does not work. That would be an approach of myself, not of God.. altho there are perhaps times and places for laying it all out.

So to bring us back to this forum... are we sometimes guilty of running ahead of God in our zeal? If we find ourselves frustrated, angry, or coming across in a way that causes others to recoil, I'm pretty sure that we can take this as a sign that we are trying to force open the doors.. doing it on our own.

This will rarely if ever have good results, IMO.

(This isn't something I'm just picking at you for, DOTL! I've noticed and wondered about this across the board.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,817,551 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Great posts in this thread, Christians!
Very good point. We cannot see the far-reaching results, and perhaps may never see any results of our work. We are planting seeds, as you said.

I know it does with me.. I have some family and friends who I believe are not saved. I have a burden for their souls. And yet, I know that I can only reach them as God opens the door. Sometimes I feel like just laying it all out, but I know that this does not work. That would be an approach of myself, not of God.. altho there are perhaps times and places for laying it all out.

So to bring us back to this forum... are we sometimes guilty of running ahead of God in our zeal? If we find ourselves frustrated, angry, or coming across in a way that causes others to recoil, I'm pretty sure that we can take this as a sign that we are trying to force open the doors.. doing it on our own.

This will rarely if ever have good results, IMO.

(This isn't something I'm just picking at you for, DOTL! I've noticed and wondered about this across the board.)
I know you're not picking on me, CG. And I've wondered the same things and have stepped back when necessary when my emotions are getting in the way. But I don't always step back soon enough. But as others have stated here and I totally believe, God's message is clear in spite of our shortcomings in delivering it.
Quote:

I agree that we need to have a passion for Christ and helping lost souls, but a question popped into my mind when I read this.. doesn't God provide the means, open the doors, if He gives us a conviction? Or do we need to force open doors? Isn't this where the frustration sometimes lies?
I have to address this because I feel this is in direct relation to what I said. I'm not going to go into what my limitations are, but God DID provide the means and open the door when I found this site and others. My frustration comes from something that most will never understand, it has more to do with that than God opening doors. I pray for healing but until God decides to heal me then the limitations will always be there. I think I have made the best use of the door that God opened for me, but my "humanness" gets in the way of the proper delivery sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,405,912 times
Reputation: 1321
God lets 4 billion people suffer eternal damnation, it's all his fault, and you make excuses for him. I'm not trying to 'irritate Christians,' I'm trying to open their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,817,551 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
God lets 4 billion people suffer eternal damnation, it's all his fault, and you make excuses for him. I'm not trying to 'irritate Christians,' I'm trying to open their eyes.
Our eyes have been opened, Logic, when the veil was lifted. God is Holy and He cannot lie or sin. He is not allowing anyone to suffer....He has offered His own Son as a sacrifice to bridge the gap between us and the Holy God. That's why Jesus is the only way to God.

God is not just a fairy-tale, like you think. Christianity is not just something someone made up so that we would feel better about dying. You HAVE to take that first step of faith, before you can understand that He is real and He loves you. God's plan is laid out clearly in the Bible, and since He is Holy and the same yesterday, today and forever, He will not waver from His plan.

It is not for you to understand why God chose to do things this way, It is for you to accept Him and His plan and be at peace in the knowledge that all of your answers will come in the next life. He gave us a choice, and He is not condemning anyone to hell. It is your choice, and we are in a battle between good and evil. Choose good, Logic. God IS good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,589,737 times
Reputation: 968
First you say we should be quiet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Personally, it bugs the crap out of me when Christians get all zealous and try to convert everyone they see. Just leave people alone!
Then you gripe about many people not knowing the gospel:
Quote:
God lets 4 billion people suffer eternal damnation,
What does your friend logic have to say about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,459 posts, read 29,729,324 times
Reputation: 30057
The life will soon be over, only what's done for Christ will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,817,551 times
Reputation: 58199
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The life will soon be over, only what's done for Christ will last.
Amen, Sister ILNC!! Simply said but oh so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,405,912 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
First you say we should be quiet:

Then you gripe about many people not knowing the gospel:

What does your friend logic have to say about that?
My point of view when I talked about 4 billion people not 'knowing the gospel' was hypothetical. In other words, if Christianity is true, does it make sense? The answer is no, so why continue bothering people? I'm not saying "2/3 of the world is suffering because you can't tell them the good news" from my own point of view, I'm trying to understand what Christians believe. And they don't even understand it themselves, when they use the "we can't know God's ways" excuse. It makes more sense that evangelicals are brainwashed into converting others so that the church can gain more sheep for tithing, or for fighting for the Christian leaders' causes.

You and I agree that 4 billion people suffering eternal damnation doesn't make sense, I'm sure. You just say it doesn't make sense because 'we can't know God's ways' (which is a cop-out for not being able to apply your faith to reason). I say it doesn't make sense because it was a convoluted story made up to control much simpler minds than ours today, which actually uses reason to conclude.

You don't believe what Muslims say, or what Jews say. And they don't believe Christians. All three know for a fact they will be saved, or are following the right path, or whatever the specifics of their religion are. All three know for a fact the other religions are false. Why can religious people only see other peoples' religions clearly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,589,737 times
Reputation: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The life will soon be over, only what's done for Christ will last.
Good point, ILNC!

Life is so busy... it takes an effort to "do for Christ" the things that last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top