U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,561,142 times

Advertisements

Excuse the impromptu and unprepared thread, but reading over the forums today left me with this question:

What is my purpose in life as a Christian, in my daily walk, and also to bring it right home, here on City-Data Christianity forum?

It could be that each of us has a goal in mind... I don't know. If so, are we reaching it? Is it working out for us the way we expect?

An example of a goal might be the Great Commission. "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel." We wish for unbelievers to be saved. If this is my goal, am I seeing that my preaching is bringing results? If so, why? If not, why not?

Another goal might be admonishing complacent fellow Christians. Once again, what kind of results am I seeing? Are people receiving the message? Is it alive to them?

While the world or nominal Christianity may be hostile to Biblical truth, yet there IS a difference of hostility towards God (which we can't help) or hostility to me (which may sometimes be a sign to me that I may be mis-stepping on my way to my goal(s). In other words, am I standing in the way and hiding the Truth, that it cannot be seen? God forbid.)

I dunno.. maybe I'm keeping it too simple, but FIRST AND FOREMOST, the purpose of my life is to bring glory to God.. and I can do this by placing myself completely on the altar and being a vessel fit for HIS use. Being a candle shining in the night that draws men to the light, not a spotlight blinding them. Being a mirror that reflects God, and not a mirror that is out of focus and rather reflects the sinner's sin and flings his faults back at him. That is not my job...

God is calling all mankind in mercy and love... today is the day of grace. Let's make sure that the real message is getting across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:22 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,212,863 times
I want to grow in the knowledge of God, spend time in His word and mature.
I want to share the love of God with others and witness to them of the saving knowledge of Christ as their savior.
I want to use my gifts and talents to His glory.
I want to be salt and light to the world.
I want to demonstate His Love by loving others and encouraging them in their walk with the Lord.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Repent and put your trust in Jesus Christ.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
We each have been called to a personal relationship with God, through His son Jesus Christ, and to be conformed into His image. He knows you more intimately than you know yourself. You have characteristics that He uses by simply being yourself, but the work He does is the basis for the results He brings.

There are those that have had put in situations where they can share freely, and others who have been imprisoned with no contact with the "outside world". He has ordained their individual circumstances. Like wine, we can be shelved in a dark environment for long periods with no appreciable fruit - but His best work is done out of sight, and the wine is vintage when produced.

As followers of Him, we are not to compare ourselves with others, but rather to keep our focus on the Author and Finisher of our faith, and trusting Him to do all we require. (Ruth 3:11)

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,197,034 times
My goal is showing, telling, and teaching my very large family the value, peace, and happiness that comes with living a life based on faith in God and the teachings of Christ as much as is possible in this crazy world..
I try to teach them these things so they may also pass the lessons down to their generations..
I try to teach them that God is a merciful God and although bad things happen to us and our loved ones, that He will never dessert them and will comfort, and guide them and provide a wonderful blessing for their endurance..
I try to teach them the importance of tolerance and love for people who are different from them, and to be charitable without attaching any strings to it..
I try to teach them that God desires a personal relationship with them and He will become more real to them the more they talk to him in private..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,745,070 times
I'm here at CD for the "great Commission". Is it working out like I had hoped? No, but I can't see the far reaching results like God can. The flesh part of me wants to save the world and see instant results, but the spiritual part knows that all I am in control of is planting the seed.

I have a heavy conviction to lead others to Christ, but I am limited as to what I can do. So the internet is my only outlet for Christ. My conviction is so strong that I get very frustrated with my situation and limited abilities. I can only pray to God that He will use me however He sees fit. I have the will and the desire, but not the means and that is very frustrating at times.

Most people I know are passive about spreading the gospel, and it drives me crazy. They tell me to just worry about myself, you've got enough problems of your own, you can't change other people's minds and no one wants to hear it. Is that true? I feel that we're all searching, and if I have the truth then it's my responsibility as a Christian (not to mention it's God's directive) to share it.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
I'm here to be salt and light;
I'm called to encourage and Love
somedays I fall short when I'm here and I allow my flesh to hinder my call
I'm to speak the uncompromising truth in love; Betsey lane said it well, when she posted that some don't want to hear
the truth. And there will be times that I will have to "shake the dust off of my feet"
I only hope that the love of Christ in my heart is felt throughout the forum
My earnest prayer is that I'm not misunderstood, which happens often as the way I word things at times,
and in my zealous attempt to try and get my message across, I'm not so sure if that has happened
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight , oh Lord my strength and my redeemer. In the Name of Jesus I pray....
God Bless You

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 PM

702 posts, read 844,157 times
It seems there is some prior commitment that functions as a veil to keep out the unworthy that is seen in the common misconception that the aim or purpose of those in whom the light has shined is to die and go, not to "hell," but to heaven. Progress toward our actual aim is in process whether we recognize it or not, regardless of what we do or not. When accurately taught, "The rudimentary elements of the oracles of God" (Hb 5:12,) what functionally is our, "Foundation" (Hb 6:1,) we realize our aim is to not die, but live; and, to enter, not a place, but a state of being that corresponds to the Divine nature (1 Co 3:11.) The apostle Paul (in Phillipians 3) described his aim: "If by any means I may attain unto the resurrection from the dead..." (v.3) "I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus..." (v.14) " For our citizenship is in heaven; whence also we wait for a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall fashion anew the body of our humiliation, that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, according to the working whereby he is able even to subject all things unto himself." (v.19-21) Resurrection followed by ascension is actually at the finish of the race we are in.

The container Christ is a vessel of another form than that of Adam. Acknowledging a fact does not have the same effect on our personality as being formed through experience with the interrelatedness of that fact in our system of values. While it can be accelerated by special emissaries from God, what each of go through is for Christ, Who is the Image and Glory of God, to be fully formed in us, (Ga 4:19) to undergo metamorphosis from Adam (homo sapiens) into Christ (homo novae,) (1 Co 15:45-49). That is, from beastly man of flesh into freely expressing all Jesus is and does, corporately, every member participating when we gather, as well as individually. We are maturing into being no longer defined as a short-lived individual soul in a dirt husk subject to gravity and limited perception, but in another multidimensional deathless vessel of myriad living forms: all-knowing, all-powerfull and everywhere. Our immediate development is out of everything destroying man by going through the cross into wholeness and health, liberation, enlightenment and abundance. We are ultimately destined to enforce through love this blissful glory in all the universe.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,374,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm here at CD for the "great Commission". Is it working out like I had hoped? No, but I can't see the far reaching results like God can. The flesh part of me wants to save the world and see instant results, but the spiritual part knows that all I am in control of is planting the seed.

I have a heavy conviction to lead others to Christ, but I am limited as to what I can do. So the internet is my only outlet for Christ. My conviction is so strong that I get very frustrated with my situation and limited abilities. I can only pray to God that He will use me however He sees fit. I have the will and the desire, but not the means and that is very frustrating at times.

Most people I know are passive about spreading the gospel, and it drives me crazy. They tell me to just worry about myself, you've got enough problems of your own, you can't change other people's minds and no one wants to hear it. Is that true? I feel that we're all searching, and if I have the truth then it's my responsibility as a Christian (not to mention it's God's directive) to share it.
Personally, it bugs the crap out of me when Christians get all zealous and try to convert everyone they see. Just leave people alone! If this God who can do absolutely anything wanted to save people, he would tell them himself. He wouldn't let them trust other people, since he knows people are fallible and 'get it wrong' more often than not. And he knows all, right? so of course he knows that depending on where you are born, you may become a very devout Muslim, or Jew! or.. an atheist! ooohhhh!! Heaven forbid, right? But nope, heaven does not forbid.

There are 6 billion people in this world, and only 2 billion are Christian. This all-loving god really thinks it's best to let the other 2/3 of the world suffer eternally in hell?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
It seems there is some prior commitment that functions as a veil to keep out the unworthy that is seen in the common misconception that the aim or purpose of those in whom the light has shined is to die and go, not to "hell," but to heaven. Progress toward our actual aim is in process whether we recognize it or not, regardless of what we do or not. When accurately taught, "The rudimentary elements of the oracles of God" (Hb 5:12,) what functionally is our, "Foundation" (Hb 6:1,) we realize our aim is to not die, but live; and, to enter, not a place, but a state of being that corresponds to the Divine nature (1 Co 3:11.) The apostle Paul (in Phillipians 3) described his aim: "If by any means I may attain unto the resurrection from the dead..." (v.3) "I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus..." (v.14) " For our citizenship is in heaven; whence also we wait for a Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: who shall fashion anew the body of our humiliation, that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, according to the working whereby he is able even to subject all things unto himself." (v.19-21) Resurrection followed by ascension is actually at the finish of the race we are in.

The container Christ is a vessel of another form than that of Adam. Acknowledging a fact does not have the same effect on our personality as being formed through experience with the interrelatedness of that fact in our system of values. While it can be accelerated by special emissaries from God, what each of go through is for Christ, Who is the Image and Glory of God, to be fully formed in us, (Ga 4:19) to undergo metamorphosis from Adam (homo sapiens) into Christ (homo novae,) (1 Co 15:45-49). That is, from beastly man of flesh into freely expressing all Jesus is and does, corporately, every member participating when we gather, as well as individually. We are maturing into being no longer defined as a short-lived individual soul in a dirt husk subject to gravity and limited perception, but in another multidimensional deathless vessel of myriad living forms: all-knowing, all-powerfull and everywhere. Our immediate development is out of everything destroying man by going through the cross into wholeness and health, liberation, enlightenment and abundance. We are ultimately destined to enforce through love this blissful glory in all the universe.
James;
Would you mind giving the reference (quotes)for your post please
Thanks ;
God Bless You

__________________________________________________ _______________
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity