U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM

25,547 posts, read 24,262,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
OK this was stupid on my part - the poster said American.
No, that wasn't stupid! Europeans did come over to America. Those are the beliefs we're talking about--the ones that extended from primarily European beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Mary Worship? I don't think so. Please do some study and speak to those more "in the know" before speaking. Last time I checked, neither myself, my family, or any other of my Catholic brethern worship the Blessed Virgin Mary. As far as ....
ROFL

You almost had me there.

That was cute!

Within three sentences, you go from "we don't do that", to doing it.

A better example I could never show.

Beautiful!

LOL

So wrapped up in mary worship that you can not finish a paragraph denying it, without doing it.

Very cute, did you word that on purpose?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Oh, come on, bee keeper. Why does "blessed" mean you have to worship the person? Don't you tell parents with new babies that they're blessed? And people who have come through long illnesses?

Someone having a blessing doesn't mean that person is God! Even I know that and I'm not a Christian, LOL.

As far as I understand (my grandparents and father were Catholic) they consider Mary to have received a blessing because she was chosen to carry Jesus. I would think from a religious standpoint that would only make sense.

In any event...you were harsh with that poster. She was just trying to explain herself.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 AM

272 posts, read 431,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, that wasn't stupid! Europeans did come over to America. Those are the beliefs we're talking about--the ones that extended from primarily European beliefs.
I see where you are coming from. I didn't want to get into it in my previous post for reasons stated below, but one could point to Freemasons and Rosicrucian. Of course things get tricky with secret societies especially these two. They also originated in Europe, but there is obvious proof of their existence in America. Since some may argue these are not occult groups, I decided to stay silent but you made me speak. hehe.

Last edited by technobarbie; 10-29-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
I see where you are coming from. I didn't want to get into it in the previous post for reasons stated below, but one could point to Freemasons and Rosicrucian. Of course things get tricky with secret societies especially these two. They also originated in Europe, but there is obvious proof of their existence in America. Since some may argue these are not occult groups, I decided to stay silent, but you made me speak. hehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXi...eature=related

Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Oh, come on, bee keeper. Why does "blessed" mean you have to worship the person? Don't you tell parents with new babies that they're blessed? And people who have come through long illnesses?
So how long after giving birth to all of those children [the siblings of Jesus] did mary remain a virgin?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So how long after giving birth to all of those children [the siblings of Jesus] did mary remain a virgin?
Oh heck, I don't know what the belief is there. But not being a virgin doesn't mean you're not blessed either. Good grief!

When they call her "the virgin Mary," who says they mean eternally a virgin? And if that's their belief...then so what? Is it hurting you any? It's not hurting me.

I used to be much like you (only way way nastier). It wasn't until I was no longer threatened that I could accept Christians. Why not let them believe what they do? What I believe isn't exactly logical either. Is what you believe 100% logical?

Belief itself isn't logical. So we may as well accept that people believe things we find strange or impossible. So do we. Some spiritual being out there that thinks but is invisible isn't weird in and of itself? We're all weird.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

272 posts, read 431,218 times
Quote:
Youtube is blocked on our server. I can't view the video. What is it about?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,438,522 times
Quote:
Belief itself isn't logical. So we may as well accept that people believe things we find strange or impossible. So do we. Some spiritual being out there that thinks but is invisible isn't weird in and of itself? We're all weird.
You mean you are suggesting religious tolerance? What a radical concept!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,381,371 times
God-eating is pagan: E.G. Communion.. drinking Jesus' blood and eating his flesh! Sounds like a messed up ritual to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or