U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM

195 posts, read 979,051 times

Advertisements

I suppose she was offended by your pumpkin. As a child, my family was Christian, churchgoing, didn't celebrate Halloween, we were never allowed to trick or treat. We did put out a pumpkin a few years.. just a basic one, and give out candy to kids, but gradually my family came to believe even this was was wrong.There are different degrees of attitudes towards Halloween among Fundamentalist believers.

I today regard myself as a Christian, but think Halloween is perfectly okay, and that attitude my family had as a child not accurate- but to some Christians they don't believe in Halloween. So the pumpkin likely offended her- but the fact she sent you Halloween craft sites, she must accept it somewhat, or she would never have sent anything Halloween.So it is totally understandable you wrote her back like that- she after all mentioned Halloween first- some fundamentalists would never. My family, like I said had differing ideas at times of how much to avoid Halloween. To someone on the outside looking in, it baffling and hard to cope with what happened to you, to her it makes sense. Maybe I would send an e-mail saying you didn't mean to offend her, it was unintentional. See if she responds or mentions religious beliefs- I wouldn't bring them up right off.She likely thought the pumpkin and the snakes offensive.You sure you want to be friends with her? I think she should have been more tactful in her response to the pumpkin- maybe just said nicely that it offended her religious beliefs to see something like that, and not to send one again.. but what she did say was rude.I would only patch this up or try to if you can deal with her, and her beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,728 posts, read 3,528,411 times
Try to understand that Halloween is a high holy day to satanists. The satanic brotherhood sacrifice human babies on this night. The original use of the pumpkin by the druids was to indicate which family was to supply a human sacrifice. Your christian acquaintance is probably aware of these facts and was offended by your unintended insult. However, her response was wrong. She was probably defensive of her children. I think she should have come to you in love and explained why she was upset. I think if you would talk to her and explain you meant no offense, I would think you two could work this out. It sounds like a misunderstanding to me.

2,946 posts, read 4,868,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I don't even know how to respond to this. I'm a fundamentalist, but this is not how I would react. First of all, please don't take this the wrong way, but I would never have become friends with a person who was not a Christian. The Bible tells us not to be yoked to unbelievers.
Who did Jesus befriend and hang out with during his time on earth? Is he our example?

5,137 posts, read 15,318,836 times
so the person was right about you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks, renriq. I'm sad, I feel sick right now.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 3,661,772 times
I wouldnt lose much sleep about it,people can have their own views about halloween but i dont think i would want to get to friendly with someone who was that worried about something as trivial as a carved pumpkin.Some very devout christians have fun with halloween and others dont.I dont think either side is 'wrong' and its not something i would base a friendship on either way.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,572,142 times
Go to your friend and make peace, It's just that simple. You guys may end up becoming the best of friends. It's the human thing to do, "CHRISTIAN" OR "NOT". Go in peace. We have enough sin in this world to last us until Christ comes. Praying for your friendship.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 10-27-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,492,242 times
I'd leave it alone;
Done
maybe she "shook the dust off of her feet"
in this case no explanation is given.,

Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,988,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Who did Jesus befriend and hang out with during his time on earth? Is he our example?
Jesus embraced them as He was the Savior for all. He did not hang out with them and give them the impression that their sins were acceptable. Ever heard of love the sinner but hate the sin?

Are you familiar with the scripture I referred to? There's a reason we are not to be yoked to unbelievers and if you are a Christian you should heed that scripture.

Jesus was perfect and immune to temptation...we are not.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,572,142 times
Each one reach one, each one teach one! Where was I before I became a believer? Who is it that did'nt give up on me? I must pass the message on before I leave here. When I stand before my heavenly Father and He ask me Betsey, Why did'nt you reach out to her, what excuse can I give to my Father as to why not? There is no good answer to that. Reaching out to an unbeliever is not being yoked to them. It's just reaching out to an unbeliever. We leave the convicting of the hearts to the Holy Spirit. That's not my job. That's out of my league. I did'nt get it right away either. Me, Betsey? If you only knew where He brought me from. Thank God for His love and mercies. As believers in Christ Jesus we don't always do what we like, but often we must do what is right. God Blessing to you.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM

205 posts, read 524,882 times
Do you know for a fact that it's something faith-based which caused her to take offense? I once shared a treasured family cookie recipe with a niece who substituted a couple of ingredients and used it to make some "gross out" sort of inedible cookies for party decorations. I'm sure she never intended it to hurt, but all I could think of was the love and care which this recipe had fostered over the generations, and the countless special lifetime memories shared because of it, and how betrayed I felt be seeing it used in such a disgusting way.

Could she have thought you were making fun of her or the sites she sent?

Of course, that does not excuse her conduct. Shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or