U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,276,937 times

Advertisements

I like what Blue posted earlier about all the other holidays. But bottom line is God knows the intent of my heart as my family celebrates different holidays. They are what you make them. I sure don't share the pagan roots of any of these. We talk in our family about why we are celebrating. You need to have family reasons why you do each one of the holidays.

What I remember about Halloween growing up is my Mom making an amazing costume from scratch. None of this ugly plastic outfit stuff. Once she made me a firefly. I had a rice paper cone for my tail and held a flashlight that I turned on and off I remember the parade in town and you would win a silver dollar for a great outfit. I won one with my firefly outfit.
My mom passed away four years ago on Halloween. Of all days for God to take her home But dad is almost 88 and loves the Lord and is still growing in his faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

116 posts, read 284,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Many will say to Me in that day, Lord Lord have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name? And then I will declare to them, I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! MATTHEW 7:22-23

Remember: This was Jesus speaking.
Here's another version of the same verses with verse 21 added (NLT):

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’"

I acknowledge that those who break the laws of the Lord will be punished. What I'm saying here, though, is that I don't see pumpkin carving as breaking any of those laws. If a Christian has her soul right with the Lord, shares His word with others, and brings them home to Christ, carving a face into a pumpkin on Halloween for no other reason than to participate in the gaiety of the holiday is by NO means a reversal of all that "good fruit". There are things that would be seriously detrimental to their relationship with Christ and their eternal life, but not this.

Keep this in mind (Romans 3:22-26):

"We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past, for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus."

We have ALL sinned...we're ALL sinners. Through faith in Christ we are redeemed. A redeemed Christian won't be "unredeemed" by carving a pumpkin.

From one Christian to another, I want to explain the second part of my response to you. We are called to love, not judge. By saying what you did to Miss Martha, even though I think you meant it as a gentle admonition and not how it came across (judgmental and condemning), not only did you possibly offend her, I am fairly certain your comment served to push away any other non-Christians reading this post, which is quite counterproductive to our service in the Great Commission. As your fellow sister in Christ, my gentle admonition to you (as that is what it is, nothing more) would be to take a look a little bit further back in Matthew 7. Verses 1 through 5 say this:

“Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye."

We, as Christians, really do need to be careful how our words are portrayed. We need to show Christ's love to others so that they may come to know Him and love him as we do. What many people fear of Christianity is the God of fire and brimstone that so many people preach to the detriment of the cause of Christ. Yes, God is a jealous and, at times, angry God. But above all else, God is a God of love. We need to portray that love through kind words and, yes, gentle admonition to our fellow Christians, not judgmental condemnation.

God bless!!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

5,137 posts, read 15,317,959 times
That is unbiblical.

They are what God makes them not what you make them out to be.

You can't get food that was sacrificed to idols then try to 'bless' it.

Food is sanctified by prayer AND the Word of God.

I can't get a halloween pumpkin and say the Word of God sanctifies as it is already been given to the pagan holiday.

I can pray for it, but that means nothing if the Word of God doesn't sanctify it.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:36 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times
Daisies n freckles AMEN!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 AM

13,564 posts, read 21,669,686 times
Driftwood just nailed it as far as I am concerned..it is not the original meaning of the holiday that our family celebrates, it is what we have made of it..
In our family each and every holiday is marked by some sort of coming together in love, fun, sharing, and that reconnects us in the true family meaning of togetherness...Most holidays are centered around the joy of the children and that reminds me that the family bond is strong, happy and will survive long after my generation does..I thank God for those special days when work and worries are put aside to celebrate and participate in family tradition that makes the bond so strong..Isn't our relationshop with God and the church based on family? Happy Halloween and enjoy the laughter and excitement of the children as they hold the hands of their parents and knock on your doors..They are making their own holiday traditions

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,330,825 times
Its a big orange squash!

If you gotta twist 20 different meanings from that, then it can't be that strong a belief system if your using a squash to prove your point.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,028,639 times
Quote:
Remember that when you stand before Jesus on the day of your judgement. Maybe He will find it cute too?
Right! Jesus will say "You can't come into heaven because you made a scary pumpkin!"

Look, it says right in the bible that you shouldn't carve scary halloween pumpkins:

"And lo, he said unto them, Ye shall not cut the large orange fruit of the fields, nor shall ye paint it or mark it or pierce it or scrape it or decorate it in any way. For he who doth lay hand on my holy fruit and corrupt it into the face of evil shall surely die and burn for eternity in the fires of perdition." --Squash 10:31

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,369,571 times
Quote:
Remember that when you stand before Jesus on the day of your judgement. Maybe He will find it cute too?
When you are the one in the judgement seat I will be worried, I have accepted Christ as my personal savior and whether or not my kids go trick-or-treating will not determine my salvation. It's all about interpretation of scriptures. What you believe you must do and what you need to "add on" to the one and only pre-requisite to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven is your belief. I personally believe what was written in the Bible and that is Christ is the one way into heaven. Not being "good", not ignoring fun and harmless holidays.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,268,903 times
I like blue's and others' philosophy too.

That mom spoke to me this morning!!! VERY briefly and slightly cool but she did speak to me. Maybe she's not as offended any more? Maybe she's just having a horrible week and her comment to me by e-mail plus her silence were just a coincidence? Maybe she decided even if she doesn't believe the way I do...we can still be friends. I don't know. But if our kids can play again...I'll be happy...the kids love each other.

Maybe when my Christmas decorations come out she'll be happier? None of those include snakes. (Although to be a weisenheimer I can just see myself some time in the future creating Eddie the Christmas Snake or something. Nah, I'm unpopular enough as it is!)

SuSu, now I really am going to hell because I laughed out loud at your post. Sigh. I guess I'll see ya there. Can you bring the hibachi? I'll bring sunscreen.

I so appreciate the input from everybody here. I was HURT, HURT, HURT and hearing some words of normalcy really helped! From people of any and all religions. Thanks a bunch.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:29 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,268,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Its a big orange squash!

If you gotta twist 20 different meanings from that, then it can't be that strong a belief system if your using a squash to prove your point.
Yes, plus, I don't eat the pumpkins I sacrifice. By the time I get to carving them, they've been sitting outside in the 90 degree California sun for more than a week and trust me...even Satan would reject the taste.

Thanks again, folks. I know I'm making light but laughter is my typical coping mechanism. Sometimes you just gotta laugh. But I appreciate the help and learning various Christian PsOV on this. And I am glad I asked rather than just make a snap judgment or fall back on my former MO of just saying "Christians are uptight" or what-have-you. You're always learning in this lifetime. I see a lot of fun and kind Christians around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or