U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion did you turn from to Serve Christendom?
Islam 0 0%
Buddhism 0 0%
Hinduism 0 0%
Judaism 0 0%
Agnostic, secular humanism,Atheism 7 77.78%
Rastafarism 2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,362,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
We grew up all going to church. We were Presby during the school year and then went to a summer home where we were Methodist. For years we went to Christian summer camps, went to youth fellowship and Sunday School. My parents were very conservative. They didn't drink, smoke or cuss. Pretty quiet home life..LOL
The amazing thing was that none of us were Christians. We all thought we were since we were pretty good folk. But my parents went to a week end get away (in their 50's)and walked in on a presentation of the gospel...God's design for sure! They gave their lives to Christ and started reading the Bible (I doubt they could have told you before where we kept a Bible in the house) prayed together and the three of us kids thought they were off the deep end. Gosh things of God were for Sunday mornings. A few months later there was a speaker at my university, Andre Kole, who was with Campus Crusade for Christ. They took me to that meeting and I gave my life to Christ in the fall of '71. My next older brother gave his life to Christ at about the age of 39 and my oldest brother still is not a believer.
God works in his own way and in his own timing.
Isn't God good

What a wonderful testimony Driftwood;
It must be wonderful to have parents that were so wonderful;
We were assigned a pastor at the chapel of the military installation that I was attending ( Sunday churchgoer) ; but anyway this Chaplain was from the Campus Crusade for Christ, before he came into the Army;
And after watching His life and his wife and some of the other military there
that I knew before they served Christ;
All the crap that I was going through , I decided to surrender my life and my messed up self, and never regretted it
They showed a lot of love and backed up what they taught; unconditional love.; they didn't judge me for smoking like a chimney, but loved me through it encouraging me a the while to give it up before I got some pulmonary disease......
Thanks for your testimony
God Bless You and your family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,209 times
That's really great. I think sometimes people jump too fast trying to fix everything in a new Christian's life. That is the Holy Spirit's job to convict and change them. We have to just love them and encourage them to spend time in the Word.
Thanks for your testimony too! Isn't it wonderful that God deals with us where we are. He puts those people in our lives as salt and light.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,209 times
Here's another fun story when I was on staff with Campus Crusade in the early 70's. We were all just out of college and did a lot of speaking on the west coast. We had cute little blazers that we wore to speak. We looked so conservative One day we were at a Denny's restaurant and there was a big motorcycle gang there. Well they had their "outfits" on also. Black leather jackets, chains and patches. At that time the "One Way" sign was a big deal. You pointed a finger up to Heaven and it was "one way to God through Jesus".
Well my roommate noticed that the back of their leather jackets had crosses on them so she gave them the "one way" sign figuring if they were not Christians she would pretend she was calling the waitress.
Well several from the group came over and they were all born-again believers. We had what is probably the best Christian talk I have ever had in my life. They were so on fire for the Lord.
I remember how the other people in the restaurant looked at us like we were an unlikely group to all be talking and having such a great time!
They believed that God used them to witness to other motorcycle gangs and one of the men said, "isn't is neat that God didn't make us give up our bikes and put a suit on and go to church." We were all a part of a traveling Christian track team called, Athletes In Action. One of our guys said, "and God didn't make us give up our tennis shoes"
It was a wonderful example of how God uses your unique backgrounds, gifts, abilities, talents, struggles, etc, for his use.
We don't have to be cookie cutter Christians. We have all lived a journey that God can then use for us to help others. That's why each testimony touches someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity