Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Does the bible have anything explicit or implicit about lesbians being bad besides for the well established sin of pre-marital sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM

352 posts, read 552,795 times
Romans 1:26-28

"Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex adn started having sex with other women. In the same way, men stopped having natural sex and began wanting each other. Men did shamefl things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs. People did not think it was important to have sa true knowledge of God. So God left them and allowed them to have their own worthless thinking and to do things they should not do."

That is the general idea, but I would suggest that you read the rest of that chapter to help clarify the entire meaning of the passage.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
Well, I had put what I thought was an educational link the in the homosexual high school thread wich discussed homosexuality, the Bible, and interpretion of the scriptures

Here it is - it may be a point for discussion of the topic
http://homosexualeunuchsandthebible.com/index.html

Last edited by grannynancy; 10-23-2008 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM

Could you dumb it down and explain it in plain English because I could not understand any of that gibberish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Well, I had put what I thought was an educational link the in the homosexual high school thread wich discussed homosexuality, the Bible, and interpretion of the scriptures

Here it is - it may be a point for discussion of the topic
Born Eunuchs

Old 10-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I am struggling to understand it myself but I know that much of the problem, ias I understand is there was no word in the ancient hebrew and greek for "homosexual" and so the words were translated in different ways by different people at different times in history.

This particualar website takes a bent explaining their understnding of the Hebrew and tries to inject some historical context.

I would love to do a Bible study on it because I am intriqued - It is a website - it could be garbage but it could also be a valid critique - but I can't say I can defend or deny anything on the site - I would want to talk with a theologan versed in Hebrew and Greek.

All of the major churches have struggled with this topic have varying degrees of how judgemental they are on the subject based on their interpretation of the scriptures.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Some other links - This one is more written in "English"

Religious Tolerance Website
THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUALITY
Soulforce Site
What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)
Church Positions on Homosexuality
List of Christian denominational positions on homosexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Some other links - This one is more written in "English"

Religious Tolerance Website
THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUALITY
Soulforce Site
What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)
Church Positions on Homosexuality
List of Christian denominational positions on homosexuality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's pretty classic. A poster asks what the Bible says about something and we have to send them to extra-biblical websites because if you take the bible at what it says (as posted below) a change is required.

Why do folks (not specifically you, granny) have such an issue with picking up a bible and just reading what it says. Do we really need help with the plain text posted below?

The only 'help' I can see that's needed is when we need help to make it say what we want it to say rather than what it does.

I don't know why the rash of gay threads here in the past few days but it's such a delicate subject.

There's websites out there that can justify just about anything you decide to.

Moderator cut: unbelievable false teaching website

Sin is still sin, these false teachings and this 'anything goes' mentality may be PC, but it's accepting sin and opposing God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Romans 1:26-28

"Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex adn started having sex with other women. In the same way, men stopped having natural sex and began wanting each other. Men did shamefl things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs. People did not think it was important to have sa true knowledge of God. So God left them and allowed them to have their own worthless thinking and to do things they should not do."

That is the general idea, but I would suggest that you read the rest of that chapter to help clarify the entire meaning of the passage.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,204 times
The bible says that the whole point of sex is to reproduce and have kids, and since men and men and women and women can't have kids they shouldn't be having sex. It means that they're just having sex for the physical pleasure, which is not what sex is meant for.

That's just what the bible says.....
I have a completely different opinion.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 PM

That is so convoluted.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspitty View Post
The bible says that the whole point of sex is to reproduce and have kids, and since men and men and women and women can't have kids they shouldn't be having sex. It means that they're just having sex for the physical pleasure, which is not what sex is meant for.

That's just what the bible says.....
I have a completely different opinion.
ONE of the points of sex is to reproduce and multiply, but there are other passages in the Bible that relate to sex being for pleasure between husband and wife - try reading Song of Solomon sometime. I realize this was one of Solomon's many wives, but nonetheless, the verses portray quite vividly that God intended sex to be more than for procreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity