U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,485,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Thank you, yes, I was talking about things like fall festivals, Christmas services, Easter Services and - yes - even fun in the church - sometimes a sermon filled with humor can teach more than a solemn somber event. But no, probably not George Carlin -
Sometimes pastors go to far with the jokes and don't show the seriousness of the gospel but this takes the cake.

FOXNews.com - Pastor Injured in Dirt Bike Accident During Church Service - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

KOKOMO, Ind. — A pastor brought out a dirt bike during a church service to demonstrate the concept of unity. Now he's demonstrating the concept of healing.
Jeff Harlow, the senior pastor at Crossroads Community Church, broke his wrist when he lost control of the motorcycle at the start of Sunday's second service.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,488,992 times
You all are doing good ! Thanks for your comments.

Actually, Alpha, I was thinking of what is done in the assembling for worshipping God, not what is done outside of the general assembly of the saints.

I love to get together with several of my brethren, from various local congregations, at the Tuesday's Golden Year's class, but that is not the general assembly such as we have on Sunday mornings. That is not the time we come together to partake of the Lord's supper.

As for a scripture, one that I think of is 1Tim. 3.15 where Paul speaks of " how you ought to conduct yourself in the household of God."

Another that I thought of (off of the top of my head) is 1 Peter 4.3, but that might be stretching things a bit:

" For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles--when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries,drinking parities, and abdominable idolatries."
And verse 4. " In regard to these, they think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you."
NKJV
As I said, that verse may be stretching the issue too far. But maybe you get the gist of what I am thinking of....

HOtinAZ, we have a potluck on the grounds every first Sunday of the month, in suitable weather. We are hoping this coming Nov.Sunday will be warm enough to have one more this year. We do it following the A.M.services. It is a great way to fellowship with the brethren. Any fellowshipping with the brethren is good, as long as it is not incorporating things into the church's general assembly that are not authorized.

In an earlier congegration, all that wished to, gathered on New Year's Eve in the basement of the building to sing in the New Year. We had refreshments, too. It was a good time, but not a 'required' gathering, as the Sunday's meetings should be.

One of my thoughts is:what is the limit on what we can do and be pleasing to God, whether in the Sunday morning assembly, or in other get-to-gethers. If the world can see no differance between us and them...are we pleasing God?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,464,643 times
Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving thanks.

1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs. 3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his [a] ;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,488,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Psalm 100

A psalm. For giving thanks.

1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before Him with joyful songs. 3 Know that the LORD is God.
It is He who made us, and we are His [a] ;
we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.
Granny, I hope "all the earth" is not expected to do that inside the meeting place!

Number 2 is great. We do that every time we come together in the assembly.

( I hope you do not mind...I capitalized the "Him" and the "He"s in your verse.)

Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM

29,801 posts, read 47,748,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Just a thought after I read a posters's comment about "mainstream churches" having "fun".
We have enjoyed going bowling, we commonly host dinners and BBQs.

I see nothing wrong with having 'fun' as Christians.

A recent post that I had made was in reference to Christians who worship pagan deities, and who celebrate pagan religious festivals. Having 'fun' as they defile their professed faith in Christ.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,596,755 times
Quote:
Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.

Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name.

And David said to all the congregation, Now bless the LORD your God. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king. (1 Chron 29:11-13,20)
That's my idea of a service (don't seem to find it though). People are freed, healed, and ministered to as we worship.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,475,113 times
This is a very interesting thread. It made me think of a Church here in San Antonio that was on the news for having bought a Carosel and actually built a room in their new church for it. Watch the video on the home page and it will show a book store, a cafe, rock style worship, carosel rides....
:: Welcome to Summit ::

Now is there to much fun inside worship? I can't say. Personally I think its your heart. What your motives are and why you are there. Personally I think this is true of all styles of worship from traditional to contemporary and all the "fun" included. IF all of these extras are helping people grow their relationship with God....I can't see it being bad. If they are for other reasons than yes, I see a problem.

We don't all thrive in the same kind of environments. If it helps one be closer to God and grow with Him, I can't see it being wrong. And no I do not go to Church at Summit, just saw it on the news and thought about this thread. This Church certainly reaches a lot of people.

Last edited by little_thirsty; 10-28-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,464,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have enjoyed going bowling, we commonly host dinners and BBQs.

I see nothing wrong with having 'fun' as Christians.

A recent post that I had made was in reference to Christians who worship pagan deities, and who celebrate pagan religious festivals. Having 'fun' as they defile their professed faith in Christ.
Please clarify (1) who the pagan dieties are and (2) what pagan festivals are followed. I figure you are considering Christmas and Easter to be the pagan festivals but I can 't for the life of me figure out the pagan dieties unless it is the Trinity - which is the only way I have seen it explained how you can have ONE God and have Jesus be God and the Father be God and the Holy Spirit be God but NOT be three separate gods.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,803,089 times
I'm sure the scriptures are out there and I have such a hard time with this.

My teenagers have expressed they don't like church and they want to go somewhere more fun....like they see on TV.

Anyone attending one of these .....energetic...meetings - that's just fine.

But for me, I'm so reminded that religion is personal, it's your relationship with Heavenly Father and his son Jesus the Christ. It's not about this powerful sense of fellowship. It's about faith when alone in your bedroom, alone driving in the car, alone when you take your last earthly breath.

After all the lights dim, the band stops playing, the laughter silences, no more lattes in the back for sale, no more tapes to buy, ....

that's when your religion reveals itself.

So, I attend church because the Lord asked me to. I obey the commandments because the Lord asked me to. I don't go because Jane and I chat, or because there is this cool band, or because (fill in another reason).

To my teenagers I say religion isn't about hype, it's about humility.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 PM

116 posts, read 278,896 times
The church building itself is just a building...the verses you're referring to in 1 Timothy are in reference to the "household" of God, or those who comprise the family of God...not the actual building people meet in. The "church" is God's people. What is done in the church building on Sunday morning, as long as it glorifies God and raises Him up...and most of all, brings nonbelievers to Christ...then bring it on!

To tell the truth, I had a hard time discerning what you were referring to as "fun" things that aren't authorized. It sounds more like rules of a certain church rather than Christianity in general. Did you mean videos used as teaching aides?...contemporary bands doing the praise music?...a pastor who wears blue jeans instead of slacks? Or did you mean other things entirely?

When you think about it, the things that we consider "fun" that we do in church are actually bringing the youth of our society into a place they wouldn't otherwise come into, and changing the rest of their lives, both physical and eternal! The countless young people I've heard testimony from who have claimed it was the open-arms, "fun" approach that brought them in to begin with can't be a coincidence. I heard a quote once...I can't remember its author...it said, "Whoever controls the youth controls the future." Think about that for a second. All those kids who would otherwise never see the inside of a church building, and would otherwise be doing all sorts of "fun" things that are TRULY not of God, are being brought in to church by their friends because church is "cool", and their lives are changing forever! That can't be "unauthorized" by God, can it? On the contrary, I think God is the one who is "shouting for joy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or